News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need 26 inch tires out back

Started by c00nhunterjoe, May 04, 2011, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

I currently run 275 60 15's on the rear but I want to drop down to a 26 inch tire. It seems I am limited to either a 275\50\15 or the 295\50\15. While I like the thought of going wider I don't know that I will have sufficient clearance and all I can find in the 275 50's are drag radials and I do too much street driving for them...... any opinions on this matter???????????

bobs66440

Are you looking to drop down in diameter but keep the same width? If so, the only way is to go with a lower profile.

You can easily get down to 26" if you go with a narrower tire. A 235/60X15 will get you to 26.1".

You can experiment with sizing using this calculator...
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

GPULLER

The 295/50's are 26.8 according to the Mickey Thompson website.  My guess is M/T is about the only one making that size any more.  I got 295/50/15 Firestone's last spring, now our distributor shows nothing available.  I know BFG discontinued that size last year.
I mounted my 295's on a 10" wheel with a 5" back space,  but that is on a '66, not sure of the backspacing on a '68 up.

Here is the width difference between a 255 and 295.

Musicman

Reed... TireRack says they have the 295/50 BFG in stock  :shruggy:

The 295 fits all the Chargers I've seen on here, as long as the rim has a -12mm (1/2") Offset... which equates to a 5" backspace on a 10" rim, or a 4.5" backspace on a 9" rim. Reed is correct, the 295/50 is almost 27" tall so you may wish to consider other options if you are really looking to get down to 26".

I know the 26" tire your looking for can be had from M/T... their SR Street Radial comes in a wide variety of sizes, but $$$

68 RT

I have 295 50 15 bfg on 15x8 crager ss with 4.5 back space and have no issues. Go with them.  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

The 275 is as narrow as I am willing to go. I like the 275-50-15 but I don't want a drag radial. I am willing to run a 295 50 but I don't think it will fit. I have 15x8.5's. Will have to measure backspace but 99% sure its only 4 inch. The extra half inch is critical in my situation for the 295 tire. I really really really want the 275 but I can't find any street tirs in that size anymore.........

HPP

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 05, 2011, 12:36:14 PM
I really really really want the 275 but I can't find any street tirs in that size anymore.........

Really, Summit lists like 20 different and unique offerings in that size, including d.o.t. drags and slicks. Have you tried locating a local outlet for Coopers, Mastercraft, Mileage Master, Dean, Maxxis, Firestone, Nitto, Mikey Thompson, etc.

c00nhunterjoe

Don't wnt slicks and drag radials will not hold up. I do A LOT of street driving for long distances so a drag radial isn't going to fit the bill. I wanted a bfg radial ta styled street tire but noone seems to make them anymore. I will run a 295 if it will clear my 1\4 panel but I think it will hit

GPULLER

Why do you want to get away from the 275/60/15's?  Are they rubbing now?  I think a taller tire fills the rear wheel opening better on the 68 and newer Chargers.

c00nhunterjoe

They look overstuffed, especially on the front. A 26 inch tall tire will just fill the wheel wells as far as height goes. A 27 may not look too bad either so maybee a 295 50 out back and a 255 60 up front.   I also want it to be the same height front to back

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brass

245/60/15 and 295/50/15 are both about 26.6" in diameter: http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badly_coded_old_old_old_wheelguide.html

From what I understand, a 295/50/15 tire will mount on a 15x8 rim - but a 15x10 will get full tread to the ground.

I've noted members on here with 10" rims ranging from 4.25 to 5.5 backspacing but a 295/50/15 seems to fit okay in that range.  I have 15x10 and 5" backspacing which seems perfect. 

c00nhunterjoe

My rims are 15x8.5 with a 3.5 backspace. The 275's have less then 1\4 inch of clearance before hitting the wheel lip of the 1\4 panel so a 275 is my max width.

Does anyone run drag radials on their "daily driver" cars? Everything I have read points to blistering tread seperation problems from street use of a drag radial. If this is a myth then I will run a 27\50 15 drag radial

Road Dog

I'm gonna run a drag radial. I've ordered 2 with the regular street type tread pattern.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

c00nhunterjoe

Nitto has the most "street" appearing tread in the 275 50. I may go with those on all 4 corners....

HPP

I doubt you'll get a 275/50x15 on the front without any interference. 275mm is 10.7" wide. That is a lot of section width for a 15" tire. The max backspace you can run up front before hitting the control arm is 4.75", and that still may hit the fender lip in jounce at full lock. Anything less than that may leave the tire hanging outside the body.

c00nhunterjoe

I mounted my 275 60's on the front and they clear lock to lock. They hit the lower front of the fender when I am turning hence why I want to drop from a 28 to a 26 up front. Again, my rims are a 3.5 backspace

HPP

Did you pulled the t-bar out and cycled the suspension up and down while doing that or you simply turned the wheel? Unless you have heavy t-bars, there is the chance of the suspension compressing while taking a turn and putting the tire in to the fender lip.

Post some pics up when you get this done. I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out.

c00nhunterjoe

My bars are saggy. I can hit the bump stops if if get it rocking hard. They do not hit. The 275 60 only catches the front lip of the fender. I should have tons of room with the 275 50 15 drag radials up front. I have some pics on my phone but its a pain to load them to a photoshare ite then link them here.

RallyeMike

QuoteI doubt you'll get a 275/50x15 on the front without any interference.

For what it's worth, I have 275/50/15's front on 15x7 rallye rims on my 69 and they fit with the car even lowered some, so it's perhaps doable. The same size will range slightly between manufactures. Mine are BFG Street Radial, of which this particular size is no longer made.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/