News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange happenings at the Dyno

Started by GunMetal, May 10, 2011, 07:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Good to hear you're running the NGK's  :2thumbs:

While you're still in diagnosis/investigative mode  :scope: get your ohm meter out and test your ignition & coil wires ; you shouldn't see more than 250 ohms per foot resistance. Carbon will definately cause firing problems....it acts as an insulator.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GunMetal

Will do. I have the MSD 6AL box, Pro billet dizzy and just installed new 8.8 wires (I know, need Firecores right? ;D). I am running an older Blaster 2 coil.  Any idea on what I should expect for a proper resistance on that? 
In regard to the carbon fouling I did have the Eddy carb running too rich on cold start by using a delay switch, it came with the car and thought it was a good idea. Unfortunately the car didn't have enough time to get off the choke completely I guess.  The quest continues....Thanks Ron! :2thumbs:
Non illegitimis carborundum

firefighter3931

Steve ;

The Blaster coil should have .7 ohm primary resistance and 4.5K ohm secondary resistance. I'm not saying your new 8.8 wires are bad but it's worth testing them just to eliminate as a potential problem. I've seen bad wires right out of the box. Generally speaking, MSD wires are very good....it's the plastic plug boots that crack and spark leak (arc) onto the headers that becomes a problem.  :P

Running your engine at night in the dark is a good way to see if you have any spark leak. I've seen a few "lightening shows" under the hood using this method.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2011, 01:58:28 PM

Running your engine at night in the dark is a good way to see if you have any spark leak. I've seen a few "lightening shows" under the hood using this method.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ron,

My 2005 Hemi Ram 1500 quad cab did that with under 6000 miles! :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

GunMetal

O.K. Got some numbers for the coil and plug wires:
   - coil, primary circuit (+ to -) 0.9 ohms
   - coil, secondary circuit (center contact to -) 5.53 k ohms
   - coil, wire (coil to dist.) 29 ohms 9" length.=3.222 ohm/in  or 38.664/ft
The plug wires all measure out to less than 4 ohms/in or 48 ohms/ft.
The ignition seems fine to me, although the coil secondary is spec'd at 4.7 k ohms  :shruggy:
  Any thoughts?

mhinders

Quote from: GunMetal on May 21, 2011, 12:29:51 PM
The ignition seems fine to me, although the coil secondary is spec'd at 4.7 k ohms  :shruggy:
  Any thoughts?
The higher resistance could just mean they have increased the number of loops in the secondary winding to produce an even higher output voltage.
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

firefighter3931

Quote from: GunMetal on May 21, 2011, 12:29:51 PM
O.K. Got some numbers for the coil and plug wires:
   - coil, primary circuit (+ to -) 0.9 ohms
   - coil, secondary circuit (center contact to -) 5.53 k ohms
   - coil, wire (coil to dist.) 29 ohms 9" length.=3.222 ohm/in  or 38.664/ft
The plug wires all measure out to less than 4 ohms/in or 48 ohms/ft.
  Any thoughts?

Those numbers are fine !  :2thumbs:

Just keep an eye out for the plug boots (cracking/splitting)  ;)

Ron

GunMetal

When I was running the other msd wires and the Hooker super comps, the #1 boot was right up against the header tube. I burned several boots, even after dimpling the pipe.  I have no such issues with the TTI's...love them TTI's!
 The "Honey Do" list now includes front bath remodel. Add'l info to follow when possible. Could be worse :shruggy:!