News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stall converter

Started by misty440, May 10, 2011, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misty440

I am missing teeth on the flywheel so my starter will not engage to start the car. I was told to have my converter rebuilt since the car was only running for about a year. I have a 2800 Coan stall converter.  A friend told me to just buy a cheap converter to avoid the hassle of rebuilding the Coan one. I need to fix the trans belhousing to avoid this from happening again. The mounting hole that the screw bolts into thru the starter is stripped out so the starter was not in the right place which caused this in the first place. What would you guys do? Rebuild the Coan or buy a new one?
Thanks
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's

John_Kunkel

The ring gear on the converter can be changed without the need for a rebuild. The stripped out hole can be repaired with a Heli-coil.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

misty440

This is good news to me. I was told that the ring gear was welded on. Is it a no brainer to replace it or does it need to be balanced? Any reccomendations on where or which one to buy? I am really excited to get into the Charger again after it has been sitting since 96'
Thanks
Chris

misty440

I have a 727 3 speed full manual if that helps

misty440

So I looked at Summit Racing and they have a few different choices. How do I know which one I need. Internally balanced 6 bolt 10", 11" bolt pattern? 8 bolt 10"? External balanced 6 bolt 10", 11" hole pattern? I was hoping to drop the trans and replaces this. Is this something that the trans shop should really do?
Thanks,
Chris

John_Kunkel

Again, why replace the whole converter when all you need is a ring gear? Sure, the ring gear is welded on but the welds can be cut and the ring gear pressed off/on/rewelded.

misty440

Thank you John,
I did not fully understand what needed to be done. Maybe that is what my friend was telling me that needed to be rebuilt. Is replacing just the ring gear something that only a trans shop should do? Where would be a good place to purchase this from?

John_Kunkel

Depends on your equipment/skills, replacing a ring gear is a routine operation.