News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor Mounts bolts-help needed!

Started by sixpack_sid, May 07, 2011, 07:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm getting ready to put a 440 engine in my 68 Charger. The motor mounts have 1 long bolt that goes thru the bottom of the mount. One hole has a nut welded onto the mount and the other side that the bolt goes thru is a much bigger hole. Is there a special bolt that goes thru there? The bolt I have fits thru the hole with the nut, but I'm afraid there will be a lot of play in the mount when I put it in the engine bay. Does anyone have pics of their engine mounts or the bolts that belong there?
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Piston_Freddy

I suggest you also to a upgrade on the drivers side mount! http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html  

That long bolt is just a regular one, and yes there's gonna be some play in there.After I did the mount upgrade and went for a hard test drive, I heard metal to metal banging.I found out that the mount has moved up a little and headers were banging against torsion bars.I loosened the bolt and everything came down again.I tightened the bolt and added old seat belt as an torque strap and everything is fine again.You could install a self made washer or something to eliminate the play.

Tell me that's not a 440source water pump housing?!  :eek2:
Max rim size:15"

Piston_Freddy

sixpack_sid

Good read! But, are these guys racing these cars or is it actually a defect in the mount? I plan on driving my Charger like an old lady on a Sunday Afternoon!  ;D
Should this be a concern for me?
Also-KUDOS to you for seeing that water pump housing! I would have never guessed there was an overheating issue with a brand new housing & pump! I checked into that and the lower ports are not as wide as the stock housing, but I can still get a finger down to the bottom. I called the co. I bought it from and they said they never had a return on their housing for an overheating issue. I don't know if it's because they don't sell the defective ones, or the buyers just don't know that their water pump housing is the cause of their overheating issues! I will need to take a second look at the radius to see if the flow is restricted 20-30% like was mentioned in the thread I saw posted on my water pump question.
I think from now on, I need  to ask which parts to buy BEFORE I order anything else! This site is VERY helpful and I would be lost without the advice given here!
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Piston_Freddy

Problem is that the mount is a biscuit type(metal-rubber-metal), and metal part will just rip off the rubber, because there's nothing holding them together.If you put 2 bolts throw them, then the metal parts can't rip apart anymore, but the mount can still work(compress). That's why spool type mounts are far better.

If the mount breaks, then the fan will hit the fan shroud and might bust the radiator & the air cleaner will hit the hood. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60626.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41208.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15537.0.html

Here's a quote from the last thread: 

My wife has broken two of them in her 68 RT Charger all stock, scares the hell out of her when the
air cleaner slams into the hood, then slams back down. I have never broken one myself in 28yrs and
many big block mopars in the past, go figure..........

If you decided to do the upgrade, then make sure that the bolts are flat on the side where the mount goes on the K -frame. If you use regular bolts, then the mount can't lay flat on the frame and its impossible to install the long bolt.Don't ask me how i know. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Yeah that pump housing thing sucks, if you buy a brand new part then you expect it to work.