News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Charger-questions before I buy.

Started by 1972-440magnum, May 09, 2011, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972-440magnum

Here is the VIN number WP29M2G116786
The body is in perfect shape and has the original engine. Is this a SE? Also what kind of performance can i expect out of this engine(400 1-2bbl)? Will it out preform a GM 350?

mikesbbody

I could be wrong but I think WP29 is a SE as I seem to remember seeing it in my Tag and I have a 72 SE (but I'm no Tag decoding expert!) I think...the 2 barrel 400 was about 190 H.P? (from the Factory)  all depends on the GM!
It could be less than 190 for the 2 barrel 400...some good info here

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/b-engines.html

BTW, a 400 makes a great stroker...

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

1972-440magnum

Thanks for the info. Is this engine considered a "performance engine", a buddy of mine says his 1972 Nova with a 350(stock) can beat it at the drag strip. Any idea if thats true?

AKcharger

I think they'd be about even but agree with Mike about, it makes a great stroker. a 400 is really a 383 with more displacement. Problem is they dropped compression AND the way the factory calculated horsepower following the great auto insurance crackdown.

...P.S. I turned my 400 into a 470  :2thumbs:

GunMetal

I too turned my 400 into a 470. Just did a dyno run yesterday....398 rear wheel hp/ 416 rear wheel tq. That'll get the bowties attention!  :D
Non illegitimis carborundum

Brass

Wouldn't a stock 350 from 72 also be subject to the industry-wide detune which happened then?  From a cursory search online, I see ratings between 165 and 185 hp.  Lowered compression took many victims.

I always wanted to build a low-deck 470 stroker.  Also, from what I understand, a 451 can be a cheaper alternative since it's basically a 400 with a 440 crank.  Lots of torque and with newer/lighter pistons, can wind pretty high.  Search the "Proven Combo" thread to see examples of what can be done with a 400 block.

1972-440magnum

Thanks for all of the help everyone.  One final question would $6,500 be a good price for the car. The body has no rust and has a new paint job the interior has new seats and could probably use a new dash. The car starts everytime will little hassle and runs great. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Thanks,

mikesbbody

Do you have any pics of the Car? if so post them up that will give us a better idea
Regarding it's value  :cheers:

mikesbbody

Sorry, i just saw the part about no pictures!  :slap:

Wicked72

The 400 is a badass engine!!! and btw low compression and boost go hand in hand! :2thumbs:  To bad none of its forged.... however you could run a supercharger on it for about $2200 racingjunk.com has the paxton kits! just something to think about. I am getting my kit from there but my engine will be beefed to handle a massive amount  :nana: how much they want for the car and got some pics?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

1972-440magnum

Ill get some pictures soon. He is asking $7000 for it but he is pretty flexible.

FLG

If its as nice as you describe 7k is pretty good  :2thumbs:

1972-440magnum

I have looked over the car and here is what i have found
Needs new carpet
Dash has three cracks so it will need replaced
Quarter size dent and a small amount of surface rust under grill near the fog lights
Headlights do not work but he does have a spare motor to replace it
Paint cracks on roof
lastly the shifter handle is a little loose.

So is $6000-$7000 a good price?

1972-440magnum

Pictures of the outside.

1972-440magnum

Pictures of the interior.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 1972-440magnum on May 17, 2011, 09:39:32 AM
I have looked over the car and here is what i have found
Needs new carpet
Dash has three cracks so it will need replaced
Quarter size dent and a small amount of surface rust under grill near the fog lights
Headlights do not work but he does have a spare motor to replace it
Paint cracks on roof
lastly the shifter handle is a little loose.

So is $6000-$7000 a good price?

I'd say 6g's is a decent price if its not hiding anything bad.

Carpet isnt a big deal. 150$ ,case of beer and an afternoon putting it in.
Paint cracks in roof look to me like they are filler cracks at the roof seam. Which could indicate to me that there may be other areas of cheap filler used that could give you problems later or the car is flexing some at this seam.

Dash isnt a big deal to live with. But can be corrected with cash.
Your rust under the fog lights I assume is the front valance. It can be removed and with the car being white you could probably repaint it yourself and no one will really notice if the whites dont exactly match.

Your other small odds and ends are simply corrected with time and cash. Maybe a junkyard find or a swap meet.  Its stuff you may not be able to fix in a week but over the course of time you can get the small parts you need.

Todd

1972-440magnum

The car has been sitting out side so i believe the cracks are from that. How could i tell if bondo was used?

chargd72

Go all over that car with a magnet.  Where it won't stick, it's got mud under the paint.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

1972-440magnum

Thanks everyone for all of the help.

viper r/t

That car has been sitting there for years, I pass by it every few months on the way to Cumberland Falls. It first was priced @ 12k some years back.
In this area I honestly believe you can beat that car for the price.  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Well - the Chevy 1972 engines...    the Nova had three option 350's...      165hp, 175hp, and 200hp (SS model)   

but remember that your charger weighs more than his nova... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Brass

But torque is going to get that heavier car rolling.  I see figures of 310 @ 2400 and 340 @ 3200 for the 400 with the 2 and 4 barrel respectively.  The 350 is listed between 270 to 290.  Not much difference but some.  I don't think you can predict an outcome until the cars are lined up but don't let that bow-tie guy tell you that 350 is better. 

oldrock

boy that looks alot like the one my son and I restored last year. I'd say the price is ok but not a smoking deal. As for the engine, we totally rebuilt my sons 318 and ended up with around 300hp and 300ft lbs torque and it was a blast to drive. I don't know about the dodge 400 2brl but my Dad had a 72 pontiac catalina with the 400 2brl and it wasn't anything special with the stock engine. Had a nice top speed but took a while to get there.

The 400 would be a nice platform for a performance overhaul though and I imagine with a good cam, good intake/carb and some porting/polishing I bet it would be a nice motor.

Wicked72

here ya go throw a little of this on it and dont be scared.... http://www.nitrousexpress.com/product-details.php?id=1022 hahaha and get another 400 to build into a tyer fryer beast!!!

Btw the car might have a rust issue on the bottom of the back window. theres a puddle of water by the spare tire... take a good look
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected