News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 stripes + glass hood

Started by red79, January 28, 2011, 05:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red79

I'm planning out the paint scheme for my 72 with a VFN fiberglass bulge hood. I'd like to dress it up with 71-style hood blackout and stripes, but I've noticed how the stripes on the hood are notched inwards to clear the hood vent slots.

since my glass hood doesn't have any vents in it, I'm worried it might look bad. does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

i've attached a pic of another member's car I found in the 'post your 3rd gens' thread to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Matt

KS71owner

red79

thanks a lot! your car looks great, hopefully I can get mine looking that good one day  :cheers:

1972Rallye

Without vents, it looks like the stripe is notched for the rear edge of the power buldge.  It'll look fine...  :2thumbs:

AirborneSilva

Red79 - got a question about the hood, did you ever get it?  I am interested in a VFN bulge hood myself but read on another forum that a member put one on and said it was 1/4 to 1/2 inch too short, how was your fit?

Thank you!

red79

hey, sorry for the late reply, didn't notice this thread got bumped.

my VFN hood fits perfectly; I got the bolt-on (not raceweight) version and it had it attached and aligned in less than 10 minutes. the only modification I had to do was cut some small notches for the rubber bumpers on the sides, but this is explained in the instructions that came with the hood.

also, if you choose to go with a VFN hood, ask them for a set of lighter weight hood springs when you order it--they'll include them cheap, and the stock springs will most likely crack your hood in half if you try and use them. good luck!

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

AirborneSilva

Thanks Guys, I will definetly go with the VFN hood and lighter springs  :2thumbs:

TexasStroker

Very sharp...the bulge hoods are very subtle, but somehow add a lot up front.  I've got a ton of folks locally always fighting over the same steel hood, lol.  I think glass is the way to go personally...the examples look great  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!