News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cincinnati's "Donk" law

Started by Troy, May 07, 2011, 10:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

ChgrSteve67

Glad to see you finally finished your latest project.

For those that didn't know Bryan is a closet Donk driver.

Paul G

There was talk last year, and I think it was Ohio, about passing new laws against reckless driving. It would leave the determination of what is reckless up to the arresting officer. Reckless driving could be anything from street racing, squealing tires, gross show of performance, or loud mufflers. The fine was to be forfeiture of the vehicle. I think I read about this in Car and Driver, or Road and Track or a mag like that. It all goes hand in hand. Go after one small group first, then go get the others. 

Read my sig!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

elacruze

Has anyone here or anyone you know of seen a donk in an accident?
From what I see, these guys drive very slowly and carefully. Certainly because they don't want to be pulled over, possibly because they're afraid of the car, likely that they just want others to get plenty of time to see how cool they are.
I don't like the cars, but I still haven't seen one as extreme as the 4x4s I see every day. I say leave them alone.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Patronus

I think the whole place is going to shit.. 
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Troy

Quote from: Paul G on May 11, 2011, 06:30:52 PM
There was talk last year, and I think it was Ohio, about passing new laws against reckless driving. It would leave the determination of what is reckless up to the arresting officer. Reckless driving could be anything from street racing, squealing tires, gross show of performance, or loud mufflers. The fine was to be forfeiture of the vehicle. I think I read about this in Car and Driver, or Road and Track or a mag like that. It all goes hand in hand. Go after one small group first, then go get the others. 

Read my sig!
Yep, that was Ohio too. :eyes:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

elacruze

Quote from: Tilar on May 12, 2011, 09:54:38 AM
http://youtu.be/8znD7-l5Tmo

Funny, but are you suggesting that this qualifies as an 'accident'? I don't think it does.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Tilar

Who claimed that qualified as an accident? I just posted the link, I'm sorry if it offended you.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Khyron

Quote from: aussiemuscle on May 11, 2011, 09:28:21 PM
caused by stupid cars like this

:nana:

BUHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Circle the wagons boys!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

ChgrSteve67

Reminds me of the first monster trucks when the wheels were tall and skiney.

elacruze

Quote from: Tilar on May 12, 2011, 04:14:06 PM
Who claimed that qualified as an accident? I just posted the link, I'm sorry if it offended you.

No offense, just checking.  :cheers:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Arigmaster

Perhaps a different approach should be taken on these cars...

The donk cars look stupid to me but on the same note, some thought my '68 charger looked stupid with a Daytona wing on it. To each their own.

However, any "major structural modification" should be subject to safety inspection. Perhaps also requiring special registration as well. Once inspected and registered then it won't leave any room for the vehicle profiling.

This will enable people the freedom to build their car as stupid looking as they want as long as it's proven for safe use on public highways and streets. Proof of the vehicle passing would be the license plate.

Here in Wisconsin, we have the collector plates, but also we have the "Hobbyst" plates but those are mostly for vehicles modified beyond the point where the emissions would ever pass (run on racing fuel) or for home built vehicles.

Just my  :Twocents:

elacruze

How about an 'experimental' class, just like aircraft? Inspection required, fee paid, but not restricted.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Cooter

Funny thing is, those states without some sort of "Annual Inspection" have people driving round in daily drivers that are completely unsafe. It kills me how many will subject their children to unsafe conditions just to save a few bucks cause they think the "Mechanic" is trying to "Rip them off" again. I've seen out of state vehicles that PARENTS have stuck little "Suzie/Johnny" in that come in to be inspected as (they have to register the car here if they are residing here for over 1 years period), that I wouldn't put my kid in. Rusted all to hell underneath from YEARS of Road Salt and sh*t up north...Floors gone, brakes locked up, suspension completely rusted and broken, wheels that will NOT come off come inspection time, etc.

You guys think Va. is bad for an annual inspection? Next time your driving round your "Inspection free" state , take a good look at what's in front of you and your family being driven down the road because there's no law to MAKE these people repair these vehicles properly....Annual inspections are NOT the enemy, and we get lit up juts as bad for NOT passing something that should pass, just like we get lit up for passing something that shouldn't pass. There is a rule book gentlemen, not some "Made up" sh*t we Deem "Unsafe"...But, if you think your gonna ride down mainstreet USA in Virginia with your truck OR CAR, jacked all up in the air when you CLEARLY KNOW THE LAW, your sadly mistaken and you will conform...Just like the rest of us sooner or later...Antique cars and the tags are a different story and there are those that abuse that too, but that's another thing alltogether.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Personally, I'll take my chances with all the $81T buckets on the road rather than have the government tell me how my car can or cannot be.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Troy

Cooter: I'd agree BUT... most of the time these things end up being a money grab in the name of "safety". Safety inspections themselves are not necessarily a bad thing. A massive undertaking that affects every resident of a state better significantly lessen the number accidents per year (fatal or otherwise) attributed to equipment malfunction. Otherwise it's just an annoyance and more government intrusion. I'd like fewer laws/rules/regulations/fees please - or at least ones that make sense. I think all laws (programs) should have a clearly stated goal and be reviewed on a regular basis to see if they're accomplishing the goal. If not, good bye! And take the nimrods who wrote it too.

Arigmaster: I abhor what I consider "discriminatory laws" (and taxes) where only one group - usually a small percentage of the population - is affected. Paying a special fee to register my modified car is pretty much extortion. I agree that it might (possibly) take some of the ambiguity out of the system but it adds a lot of complexity. Do I have to re-inspect the car (and pay) if I change anything? Does the car have a checklist of modifications that were approved? How do I fight/argue the decision? Is there a time limit or expiration? Does the next owner have to jump through the hoops all over again? It ends up being a nightmare for the owner. More bureaucracy rarely makes anything better.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.