News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cincinnati's "Donk" law

Started by Troy, May 07, 2011, 10:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I wasn't even aware of this until this morning (chalk that up to not bothering to watch or listen to the news). Cincinnati police are impounding vehicles with rims larger than 20" (unless factory installed). They are using rather generic state and city ordinances against "unsafe" vehicles as justification. I'd be more inclined to think that it's a ploy to enable stopping more suspected drug dealers when there's no other reason to pull them over.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/cincinnati-police-target-impound-modified-cars-1143860.html

Before anyone jumps in to say how great of an idea this is, consider that there doesn't appear to be any evidence that larger rims are "unsafe" - ie cause more accidents/fatalities or just fail outright. Also consider that these rims aren't all that big (perhaps on a Civic but not on an SUV). It lends itself nicely to a "modified cars = bad" mindset. In my opinion, specifically targeted laws like these open the door for other, equally intrusive laws that very well could affect our hobby. No matter the good intentions, this sort of thing never seems to achieve the stated goals - and usually causes more harm than good.

Cincinnati already has a poor reputation when it comes to race relations and this certainly won't help change that view. On the other hand, City Council has hamstrung the police so much that I'm not surprised to see some "creative" enforcement procedures.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I agree with you Troy.  Automotive profiling is no better than any other kind.

terrible one

Unbelievable. Definitely just profiling. I'll bet at least some of these wheels are DOT approved or whatever certification wheels have to pass. Where's the evidence of danger?

Rolling_Thunder

Some people could argue putting a significantly larger wheel and tire package (say 26") in the place of an original 14" or 15" wheel adds a problem due to weight. The added weight of the wheel and tire effects braking performance of the vehicle. The added height of the vehicle makes it more prone to roll over.

I'm sure they will justify it some how.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rt green

i can see it now-'hey buddy, what are you in for?'
third string oil changer

kab69440

For the few of those vehicles I have seen in person, the problem is not the size of the rim, it's the cobbled steering and suspension components that make the vehicle unsafe. Yet I agree, profiling is profiling. A turd by any other name smells like a turd all the same.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Tilar

I'm still trying to figure out who decided that all profiling is a bad thing? Personally I think some of them look stupid but that's just my opinion. I don't remember seeing any wrecks caused by the wheels. It wouldn't really surprise me but I don't know that they are unsafe.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

elacruze

How do the Cincinnati police handle 4x4s with 40" swampers? Are they OK because they're on 15" rims? They have stock brakes, high CG and all the same driveline/steering issues, and the wheel assemblies are far heavier than Donk wheels. I'm betting that a good ol' boy in his truck gets a wave from the cop who pulls and tickets the donk.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

As a Certified Saftey Inspector here in Va. We don't have to worry bout jacked up redneck trucks, tubbed out cars, and "Donked" cars with cobbled up steering at all, as NONE of them will pass State inspection if unsafe. You wanna run those 44" Super Swampers, go right ahead as long as you don't mind being pulled and ticketed every two weeks until the state police pulls your junk off the road for the "Height law". You wanna "donk" out a 1981 Monte Carlo and paint stupid sh*t all over the side like "Dr. Pepper" (As IF they actually sponsor you), go right ahead as long as you can handle the tickets. There's a reason things like this are "Uncommon"..It's most times, illeagal! People kill me sometimes. Good on Ohio for keeping these idiots of the road in these horrid vehicles.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

Llet's get these unsafe street racers off the roads too.  Why should anyone be driving around every day in a 40yo antique, polluting the atmosphere, burning gas, and endangering everyone else's life when they play Richard Petty on public roads?  Nobody builds 500 hp into a car unless they intend to use it.  Let them keep those cars for the racetracks.  We should demand that the public roads be full of safe clean, low-MPG modern vehicles.      

Ponch ®

Quote from: Cooter on May 07, 2011, 08:02:16 PM
Good on Ohio for keeping these idiots of the road in these horrid vehicles.

They may be horrid, but you're missing the point. Laws like these set dangerous precedents for the car hobby altogether. After this, whats to stop some well meaning "civic leader" trying get on the good side of the tree huggers from passing a law that says driving a 40+ year old vehicle is a "safety issue" because they're deathtraps and dont meet current safety standards, and the carb can catch fire, and so on, and so on? Not that it probably hasnt already happened in some places...

I have a car on 22" wheels which dont pose a safety hazard and I most certainly don't deal drugs, gangbang, or carry illegal guns. Pimping..well, thats a different story.  :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

A383Wing

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 07, 2011, 12:24:08 PM
Some people could argue putting a significantly larger wheel and tire package (say 26") in the place of an original 14" or 15" wheel adds a problem due to weight. The added weight of the wheel and tire effects braking performance of the vehicle. The added height of the vehicle makes it more prone to roll over.

this

the larger tires & rims put an extra burden on the brakes....those should be upgraded as well

Ponch ®

Quote from: A383Wing on May 07, 2011, 09:03:20 PM

this

the larger tires & rims put an extra burden on the brakes....those should be upgraded as well

Putting a 440 in 318 car poses a similar risk. And, yes they should be upgraded...but who's going to police it?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

terrible one

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 07, 2011, 09:05:38 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on May 07, 2011, 09:03:20 PM

this

Putting a 440 in 318 car poses a similar risk. And, yes they should be upgraded...but who's going to police it?

Yep and this kind of brings Troys original comment about this opening the gate for other laws back around. Maybe next putting in a bigger engine than what came from the factory will be considered illegal and unsafe :shruggy:

ChgrSteve67

Another example of selective law enforcement.

The lawyers will have a field day with this.

Troy

I agree that some of these cars can be unsafe. All of them? Probably not. Very unlikely actually. One of the issues would be bumper height - but I think you'd need some 30" rims to raise an old Cutlass up past the bumper height laws. Most lifted 4x4 owners with huge tires are smart enough to have custom bumpers to get them down below the safe height (which *is* specified in the state law). Another issue is obviously braking and handling but, as far as I know, there aren't any written standards for what is acceptable. If there were, I bet half the old cars would fail and many of the newer cars that have never had maintenance would fail as well. I'm grateful that our state doesn't have the ridiculous inspections that some other states have but it does make "safe" very open to interpretation.

When I was younger I routinely got pulled over for stupid stuff. In all cases it was just a way to pull me over to see if there was anything interesting (warrants, alcohol, drugs, etc.) and I never got a ticket. Part of the reason is that I worked second shift and was always coming home at about the time the bars closed. I'm not always against profiling but I'm not a fan of over-reaching government (particularly local).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lennard

Quote from: Cooter on May 07, 2011, 08:02:16 PM
As a Certified Saftey Inspector here in Va. We don't have to worry bout jacked up redneck trucks, tubbed out cars, and "Donked" cars with cobbled up steering at all, as NONE of them will pass State inspection if unsafe. You wanna run those 44" Super Swampers, go right ahead as long as you don't mind being pulled and ticketed every two weeks until the state police pulls your junk off the road for the "Height law". You wanna "donk" out a 1981 Monte Carlo and paint stupid sh*t all over the side like "Dr. Pepper" (As IF they actually sponsor you), go right ahead as long as you can handle the tickets. There's a reason things like this are "Uncommon"..It's most times, illeagal! People kill me sometimes. Good on Ohio for keeping these idiots of the road in these horrid vehicles.

I'm glad I don't live in Virginia... :eek2:

redmist

I run 40" tires on the street all the time...  <-------  see photo by name. And the Jeep is lower then a stock F-150.  :2thumbs:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

I'm not a fan of "goofy" laws just for revenue raising but I'm all for saving classic cars from having donks put on them.... :yesnod:

I was following a person a while back who was in a fairly late model Cadillac. He had a hub cap spinner in his steering wheel and was spinning it as he drove. I still wonder what would happen to his "grill" if his airbag went off...

bill440rt

The larger wheels, IF installed with larger diameter tires, will affect braking to some degree and most modern ABS systems. It will throw the ABS system off completely. That's where the safety issue comes into play.

But still, I can definitely see how a law like that can & could spread to our hobby. Well, it kinda already does. They're car guys just like you & me, just in a "different" way.

Too bad. Don't pick up the soap.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mr.Woolery

First they came for the communists Ricers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist Ricer.

Then they came for the trade unionists Donks,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist didn't drive a Donk.

Then they came for the Jews Lowriders,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew Lowrider.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

oldgold69

dkn1997

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 07, 2011, 09:01:03 PM
I most certainly don't deal drugs, gangbang, or carry illegal guns. Pimping..well, thats a different story.  :icon_smile_big:

you just haven't met the right woman yet
RECHRGED

Ponch ®

Quote from: dkn1997 on May 09, 2011, 05:30:04 PM
I most certainly don't deal drugs, gangbang, or carry illegal guns. Pimping..well, thats a different story.  :icon_smile_big:

that kind of woman ain't never the "right" one.  :D

dkn1997

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 09, 2011, 05:42:18 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on May 09, 2011, 05:30:04 PM

that kind of woman ain't never the "right" one.  :D

one man's trash is anoth.... well, you know the rest  :drool5:
RECHRGED