News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

White House story of bin Laden's death keeps changing

Started by Richard Cranium, May 06, 2011, 06:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Cranium

Here's the facts as they appear now: There was no 40 minute firefight, Bin Laden was unarmed, he did not use his wife as a shield, and the compound didn't cost a million dollars. Add to that, there's no body, nor will Obama show us a picture of his body. We're all glad that Raghead #1 is dead & congrats are well deserved, but the White House spin after the raid seems like it's nothing but a major screw up. Why?  :shruggy:

The White House account of the U.S. raid that killed Osama bin Laden has been changing almost daily since the last shot was fired, and the administration's claim that it was a capture-or-kill mission has come into question as new details emerge.
Administration officials repeatedly described the operation as a "continuous" firefight that lasted 40 minutes from the moment the Navy SEALs landed in bin Laden's compound in Pakistan until they left with his dead body.

"They were engaged in a firefight throughout the operations," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday. "The resistance was consistent from the moment they landed until the end of the operation."

A senior Pentagon official backed up the claim, saying, "For most of the period, there was a firefight."

Officials later revealed that the SEALs killed a man who fired at them when they landed in the compound, but they did not take any additional fire for the remainder of the operation.

When the Americans moved into bin Laden's house, they began clearing it floor by floor. They killed one man whom they believed was preparing to fire a weapon and killed another who lunged at them.

That's not how CIA Director Leon Panetta described it. He told PBS on Tuesday, "There were some firefights that were going on as these guys were making their way up the staircase of that compound."

When the SEALs got to the third floor of the compound, they found bin Laden unarmed, contrary to what U.S. counterterrorism chief John Brennan had said less than 24 hours after the raid.

"[Bin Laden] was engaged in a firefight with those that entered the area of the house he was in," Brennan said. He also said bin Laden used one of his wives as a shield -- but Carney later corrected that report, saying the woman had lunged at the SEALs on her own accord.

By midweek, the administration gave up trying to get the narrative right and instead clammed up, just as the United Nations' top human-rights official began questioning the legality of the mission.

"There is simply no question that this operation was lawful," Carney said. "The team had the authority to kill Osama bin Laden unless he offered to surrender."

The White House has offered no evidence that bin Laden or the three other unarmed people killed in the raid were given a chance to surrender, though there's no indication that the American public, relieved that the decade-long hunt for the al Qaeda leader, is concerned about it.

Obama will meet with members of the SEALs team that carried out the mission during a visit to Fort Campbell, Ky., on Friday.

U.S. law permits American forces to enter another country and destroy a lawful target such as bin Laden, as long as they don't inflict civilian casualties. There's some confusion, however, over whether a high-level target who has been indicted for war crimes -- as bin Laden was -- should be treated as a criminal suspect, according to military law experts.

Carney refused to answer further questions on Thursday regarding the administration's inconsistencies, saying his answers could endanger national security -- just in case the military wants to carry out the exact same operation somewhere else.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/05/white-house-story-bin-ladens-death-keeps-changing
I am Dr. Remulac

greasyspider

They brought him to GITMO, thats why there are no pics of his body. I'm sure pics of his body will be "leaked" in a few weeks, after we get down waterboarding him.  But for now, there are no pics of his dead body because there is no dead body.  The SEALs shot an unarmed man? They most certainly took him alive, think of the intelligence value of having him alive while the world thinks he's dead....we can start picking off the terrorists one by one before they even know whats happening.

'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

DC_1

Quote from: greasyspider on May 06, 2011, 07:05:32 AM
They brought him to GITMO, thats why there are no pics of his body. I'm sure pics of his body will be "leaked" in a few weeks, after we get down waterboarding him.  But for now, there are no pics of his dead body because there is no dead body.  The SEALs shot an unarmed man? They most certainly took him alive, think of the intelligence value of having him alive while the world thinks he's dead....we can start picking off the terrorists one by one before they even know whats happening.

Interesting theory.....I still think he is dead.

BigBlackDodge

Evidence of this? ::)

BBD

1BAD68

"the United Nations' top human-rights official began questioning the legality of the mission"
:puke:

In the words of our greatest General...
"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks"
General George S. Patton

Mike DC

Maybe he's dead or maybe he isn't.  Maybe he died last week.  Maybe he died in 2002.  Maybe he's locked up & being waterboarded right now.  Maybe he'll be killed in prison soon.  I dunno. 

But the bottom line is I'm confident he's out of commission permanently.  After what has gone on during the last week, he's gotta be either dead or else he's secured under lock & key somewhere at a US-controlled location.  Our side could never risk the P.R. disaster of declaring him dead to the world and then having him show up alive later.  He'd just LOVE to humiliate us like that if he had the chance.   

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bull

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on May 06, 2011, 07:17:35 AM

Evidence of this? ::)

BBD

Evidence? If you're going to discuss the concept of evidence where's the evidence proving otherwise? Or the presence of any evidence other than a wrecked helicopter and three dead Arab guys? Which says nothing. We either believe the White House or we don't.

stripedelete

Even a  bunch of 10 year olds can agree on what story they are going to tell their parents...

It seems this administration is trying to have thier gold medal "bronzed" :brickwall:.

and Joe Bidan hasn't even opened his mouth.

AKcharger

squeakfinder

And the lattest;

"Obama shot Osama and WE got the 72 versions."
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

last426

Quote from: Richard Cranium on May 06, 2011, 06:00:25 AM
but the White House spin after the raid seems like it's nothing but a major screw up. Why?

Because Obama is doing the right thing by covering for the seals.  It's their stories that keep changing and Obama is doing what any decent boss will do, covering their exaggerating butts.  Kim

Brock Lee

I say it was a mission to execute. They took out anyone they felt could be a threat and asked questions later. They wounded anyone that was not an immediate threat, but was in the way. When Osama was in their sights, they took him out.

Tilar

Quote from: 1BAD68 on May 06, 2011, 08:19:56 AM
"the United Nations' top human-rights official began questioning the legality of the mission"
:puke:

As far as I'm concerned, if you take the opinion of the United Nations and you add a quarter to it, you still couldn't buy a cup of coffee anywhere that it isnt already free.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

John_Kunkel

but the White House spin after the raid seems like it's nothing but a major screw up. Why?  :shruggy:

Kinda like Dubya's "Mission Accomplished"?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

stripedelete

Quote from: Brock Lee on May 06, 2011, 11:57:36 AM
I say it was a mission to execute. They took out anyone they felt could be a threat and asked questions later. They wounded anyone that was not an immediate threat, but was in the way. When Osama was in their sights, they took him out.

Right!  So why don't they say it and leave it there?

bull

Quote from: last426 on May 06, 2011, 11:48:34 AM
but the White House spin after the raid seems like it's nothing but a major screw up. Why?

Because Obama is doing the right thing by covering for the seals.  It's their stories that keep changing and Obama is doing what any decent boss will do, covering their exaggerating butts.  Kim

Right. Politicians never obfuscate, exaggerate or flat out lie to your face. Navy Seals, on the other hand, are notorious for that. ::)

ITSA426

I guess you had to be there to know for sure, and even then your mind would doubt what you thought you saw.

Old Moparz

My money says he's dead & that in some form of afterlife, Elvis is beating the shit out of him with leftover Michael Jackson parts.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Silver R/T

Does it really matter, one extra muslim, dead or alive.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 06, 2011, 05:49:54 PM
Does it really matter, one extra muslim, dead or alive.

Did you intend to say "extreme" muslim or are you really Spokanatarded?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

1970Moparmann

I love to hear the story keep changing.  It shows how our administration is. Keep changing it, it's getting really funny.:popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Brock Lee

Quote from: stripedelete on May 06, 2011, 02:09:25 PM

Right!  So why don't they say it and leave it there?

Because there are people in this country that will cry outrage because he wasn't put on trial. That we acted no better than the terrorists by executing him. The thing is, they will never have the approval of 100% of the people. I think they are trying to candy coat it to appeal to as many as possible. There may also be some laws broken too and they need to be careful. They should just disclose it all and let the chips fall where they may. I am proud of what they accomplished.

stripedelete

Quote from: Brock Lee on May 07, 2011, 07:56:14 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on May 06, 2011, 02:09:25 PM

Right!  So why don't they say it and leave it there?

Because there are people in this country that will cry outrage because he wasn't put on trial. That we acted no better than the terrorists by executing him. The thing is, they will never have the approval of 100% of the people. I think they are trying to candy coat it to appeal to as many as possible. There may also be some laws broken too and they need to be careful. They should just disclose it all and let the chips fall where they may. I am proud of what they accomplished.

Agreed.   We are on the same page.  But I believe the "law" they are braking is "never explain a judgement call".  It is what it is -  move on.  For the first time this administration gets to wear "big boy pants" and they come off like like Bidens in charge of spin.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 07, 2011, 07:29:28 AM
I love to hear the story keep changing.  It shows how our administration is. Keep changing it, it's getting really funny.:popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Not much different than the previous administration....

BBD