News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stealth helicopter that was used in raid.....

Started by Richard Cranium, May 05, 2011, 04:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Cranium

I am Dr. Remulac

ITSA426

Whisper hover from the old Blue Thunder series.  I remember they had a switch on the panel and could just turn it on or off.

That would be great, but military secrets are the most fleeting.

BrianShaughnessy

Looks like too many big pieces left  :-\

Coulda / shoulda sent over a Chinook to pick it up afterwards.       Not that I actually know if one was available or anything like that would be possible considering  but hate to give that technology away to the chinese for nothing.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Drache

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 05, 2011, 06:35:18 AM

Coulda / shoulda sent over a Chinook to pick it up afterwards.       Not that I actually know if one was available or anything like that would be possible considering  but hate to give that technology away to the chinese for nothing.

The reason big pieces are left is because the SEALs weren't equipped properly to destroy a helicopter. They had to improvise with whatever they had and obviously it wasn't enough.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Drache on May 05, 2011, 06:38:18 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 05, 2011, 06:35:18 AM

The reason big pieces are left is because the SEALs weren't equipped properly to destroy a helicopter. They had to improvise with whatever they had and obviously it wasn't enough.

Really?   Thanks...   I wouldn't have figured that out on my own.   ::)

elacruze

Anybody who thinks the SEALS de-milled their equipment but didn't think to destroy the 'most closely guarded top secret' part of it is... easily led.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Patronus

Like the support aircraft didnt have hell fires? Shit, they could have had a fast-mover there within 5 minutes. They were simply on the objective too long.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bull

Quote from: ITSA426 on May 05, 2011, 05:50:49 AM
Whisper hover from the old Blue Thunder series.  I remember they had a switch on the panel and could just turn it on or off.

I remember that. Even as a kid I always wondered why not just leave the switch on so it was quiet all the time.

Drache

Quote from: Patronus on May 05, 2011, 08:19:16 AM
Like the support aircraft didnt have hell fires? Shit, they could have had a fast-mover there within 5 minutes. They were simply on the objective too long.

They said they didn't bomb it like they normally would for the same reason that they simply didn't fire a missile to destroy the entire building. TObama said they were worried about collateral damage inside a country they were supposed to be allies with and knew nothing of the attack.

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 05, 2011, 07:09:14 AM

Really?   Thanks...   I wouldn't have figured that out on my own.   ::)

What's to figure out, the US admitted the reason why there were pieces of the helicopter left in half the news articles out there.  ::)

As for a Chinook picking it up, when would this have happened? I'm sure Pakistan was really happy to learn that an attack went down on their soil without their approval. I doubt they would have just let US Forces come get their wreckage just like that in the morning. As for during the attack or immediately after you have to worry about return fire either from any Osama supporters in the area or even the Pakistan Military since they didn't know anything about the attack until afterwards.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Drache on May 05, 2011, 10:18:00 AM
As for a Chinook picking it up, when would this have happened? I'm sure Pakistan was really happy to learn that an attack went down on their soil without their approval. I doubt they would have just let US Forces come get their wreckage just like that in the morning. As for during the attack or immediately after you have to worry about return fire either from any Osama supporters in the area or even the Pakistan Military since they didn't know anything about the attack until afterwards.

Just throwing it out there...     Chinook can lift 30,000 lbs...    standard Blackhawk weighs in around 20,000 lbs and also costs about $44,000,000.   Who knows what this Stealth version costs.     Chinese are getting my hard earned tax dollar technology for free.    Was there one available or anything else?  Don't know.   I'm glad the Seal team got in and out safely and the mission is accomplished and nobody but the bad guys got hurt.  They did as good a job destroying it as they could at the time.   

Meanwhile the chopper had problems when it landed...    backup plan could have been executed to extract the copter or provide a bigger bang and been enroute during the time on the ground perhaps.      Provide some aircover while the copter or wreckage is removed and say "sorry" like we told them anyhow... don't know all the answers... just theorizing.   

For what it's worth...  history could have been changed in 1979 with Operation Eagle Claw but the helo's didn't quite work out...   and this operation could have also been a disaster but it wasn't.    At least now we could tell Pakistan to go scratch when they ask for some foreign aid $.   

Isn't Monday... err Thursday quarterbacking great ?  :Twocents: 

bull

There's no way to pull something like that off without something going wrong. The biggest issue I have with it all is what has been happening for the 10 years prior to this operation; the fact that Pakistan got $18 billion of our tax dollars and yet Bin Laden had been lounging in their back yard for how long? But if they spend money there like they do here I can see why there's no tangible evidence of it.

It truly sucks that China is allegedly going to make use of our stealth technology. Once again, the US creates and China counterfeits. As usual, if this nation would just stop blowing stupid money on stupid things and get its books in order we'd have a lot fewer worries. Pakistan doesn't appreciate it, or even see it, so why bother giving it to them?

"Everyone here hates the American government," said Shah, a spirited 71-year-old with a stark white beard and a sharp tongue. "I haven't seen a penny of this U.S. assistance."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/23/AR2010082305476.html

Drache

Quote from: bull on May 05, 2011, 11:52:04 AM
It truly sucks that China is allegedly going to make use of our stealth technology.

One thing to realize is China probably had stolen part of that tech already. There probably isn't enough of that helicopter for the Chinese to learn anything new. From the parts in the pictures, all the equipment and electronics appear to be completely destroy and that is probably what they worred about the most.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BigBlackDodge

The loss of the heli was small price to pay to get Bin Laden.....well worth it IMHO.

BBD

Mike DC

QuoteThey said they didn't bomb it like they normally would for the same reason that they simply didn't fire a missile to destroy the entire building. TObama said they were worried about collateral damage inside a country they were supposed to be allies with and knew nothing of the attack.

I was waiting for someone to find a way to blame Obama.

Tilar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 05, 2011, 04:24:43 PM

Why not? I'm surprised Bush wasn't blamed for the downed chopper.  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Mike DC

Blame Bush?  Well, just gimme a minute to think about it . . .  :nana:

Seriously - If they had cratered whole address to get the chopper afterwards, then critics would say Obama was the moron that dedicated a whole dangerous mission to killing UBL face-to-face when they were gonna just send a missile later on and do all that collateral damage anyway.  

Drache

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 05, 2011, 04:24:43 PM
QuoteThey said they didn't bomb it like they normally would for the same reason that they simply didn't fire a missile to destroy the entire building. TObama said they were worried about collateral damage inside a country they were supposed to be allies with and knew nothing of the attack.

Who is blaming Obama?  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chad L. Magee

That was an almost outdated version of a stealth helicopter that was used to do the job.  I am not going to say how I know that, but I will say we have much more advanced stealth technologies to play with if needed. :2thumbs:....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on May 05, 2011, 05:10:14 PM
That was an almost outdated version of a stealth helicopter that was used to do the job.  I am not going to say how I know that, but I will say we have much more advanced stealth technologies to play with if needed. :2thumbs:....

If you did you'd have to kill us right? 

:nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

This is not the first or last time that a sophisticated piece of military hardware didn't make it back.  It's just a big deal now because of the high profile mission it was on.  If the exact helocopter went down mostly intact in another theater, we would not even hear about it.
RECHRGED

Mike DC

QuoteWho is blaming Obama?

Sorry if you didn't mean your comment the way I thought you did.  My bad. 

dstryr

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Chargen69

doesnt matter if the chinese do learn something from this or not, they'll get stealth if they dont already.

besides they got the numbers, they dont need stealth

HANDM

Quote from: Chargen69 on May 12, 2011, 11:39:08 AM
doesnt matter if the chinese do learn something from this or not, they'll get stealth if they dont already.

besides they got the numbers, they dont need stealth

Exactly, if they want to come they will march right through canada, no need for stealth