News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Very, very rare combination he says (70 Superbee)

Started by bull, May 02, 2011, 10:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm thinking very rare as in nonexistant rare but this guy claims to own a 383 manual 3 speed on the floor. :scratchchin: Why would it have a three speed transmission? Makes no sense.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2357416612.html

1970 Dodge Superbee - $12500 (La Center, WA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-01, 9:57PM PDT
Reply to: sale-vrxyg-2357416612@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool patina car or restore a very original, very rare car. All number matching 383 3spd on the floor car, very, very rare combination. Runs and drives good for a 40 year old car. Rust in the usual mopar places, floor pans and quarter panels, but structurally very solid. Ivy green with ledger green stripe is also very rare. With this motor/trans combination and paint scheme, this car is probably one of a couple or maybe 1 of 1. This car retains all of the original items the fender tag and build sheet details. Call Andrew at 360-921-4278 for more info.

Ghoste

Actually for 1970, the three speed became the standard transmission in the Road Runner and Super Bee.

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on May 02, 2011, 10:06:23 PM
Actually for 1970, the three speed became the standard transmission in the Road Runner and Super Bee.

+1
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bull

Wait a minute. Manual or automatic? At first I was thinking he meant it had a manual but it doesn't actually say. If he's saying 3 speed automatic then it makes sense but there was no 3 speed manual in a 70 Bee was there?

Ghoste

Yes, the three speed manual was the standard trans in the Bee and Runner for 70. 

Drache

For 1970 there were two transmissions to choose from:

3 Speed MANUAL on the floor
3 Speed Torqueflight Auto

And supposedly the 383 for this year was "hotter" than 383's of years previous.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bull

I didn't know that the 3 speed manual became the standard. :scratchchin: Not much of a '70 expert. :whistling: Soooo, what makes his car so rare?

Drache

Quote from: bull on May 02, 2011, 10:25:42 PM
I didn't know that the 3 speed manual became the standard. :scratchchin: Not much of a '70 expert. :whistling: Soooo, what makes his car so rare?

Don't quote me on this but I think there were less than 700 383 3 speed manual cars produced.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bull

Quote from: Drache on May 02, 2011, 10:35:41 PM
Quote from: bull on May 02, 2011, 10:25:42 PM

Don't quote me on this but I think there were less than 700 383 3 speed manual cars produced.

So his claims that this car is "probably one of a couple or maybe 1 of 1" might be a bit of an overstatement? The 383 4 speeds in 68 are much more rare than this.

69bronzeT5

3 speed manual on the floor cars are pretty rare. My '70 Coronet 500 is originally a 318 3 speed manual on the floor and apparently it's 1 of 41 according to production numbers. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

His statement is off but they are definitely rare.

Drache

Quote from: bull on May 02, 2011, 11:01:18 PM
So his claims that this car is "probably one of a couple or maybe 1 of 1" might be a bit of an overstatement? The 383 4 speeds in 68 are much more rare than this.

It's not that hard to make your car 1 of 1 if you take it right down to every single option.

From what it looks like he's stating that between the engine and transmission and then the supposed "rare color" that makes the car super rare. I have no idea on the production numbers though for the paint and stripes of that year.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemi68charger

Think it was an insurance thing... Insurance companies were starting to crack down on performance based vehicles, hence charging the owner more. Then, some insightful manager figured out how to make the cars more marketable, hence the 3-speed manual. I have a friend's '71 Duster 340 with manual 3-speed in the garage right now..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

And the era of "decontenting" for lower advertised msrp's began?

richRTSE

I would think that green w/green stripe is alot rarer than the 383/3-speed.  :scratchchin: Maybe not the most desirablecolor/stripe combo, but I'm sure there aren't alot of them out there. Thats a pretty reasonable price for that car, with numbers matching, fendertag, and buildsheet, suprised it hasn't sold yet.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: richRTSE on May 03, 2011, 06:43:20 PM
I would think that green w/green stripe is alot rarer than the 383/3-speed.  :scratchchin: Maybe not the most desirablecolor/stripe combo, but I'm sure there aren't alot of them out there. Thats a pretty reasonable price for that car, with numbers matching, fendertag, and buildsheet, suprised it hasn't sold yet.

Yep, and yep.

RallyeMike

Odd car and very rare if not unique. I never even knew they had a green stripe  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: Ghoste on May 03, 2011, 07:39:17 AM

exactly. It was introduced to keep the official sales price down. Not many people wanted a three speed so they ordered the 727 or 4-speed but their final sales price was way above the starting price of 3.074$

Check the ad they used to promote the 1970 Bee:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Super-Bee-Advertisement-Vintage-Ad-/310313363359?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item48401e279f

Carsten

HPP

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on May 13, 2011, 01:53:32 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on May 03, 2011, 07:39:17 AM

exactly. It was introduced to keep the official sales price down. Not many people wanted a three speed so they ordered the 727 or 4-speed but their final sales price was way above the starting price of 3.074$

Check the ad they used to promote the 1970 Bee:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Super-Bee-Advertisement-Vintage-Ad-/310313363359?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item48401e279f

Carsten

Ditto. It was all marketing. Just look at any ad from then and you can see the pricing process by reducing "standard" levels was in full swing.

Mike DC

I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to build a really hi-powered 3spd (manual) car.  Build a gigantic stroker motor with a proportionally small cam/heads/carb, so it has a VERY wide powerband, and suddenly you wouldn't need to shift it very much just to keep it in the good RPM range.  

The idea of a manual 3spd sound archaic at first, but lots of us already drive around in "high performance" Mopars with 3spd automatics.  Sometimes we even manually shift them.    

Yeah, I know a 3spd manual setup would be no way to win races.  But talk about a fun car to drive . . .