News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help with no ignition spark

Started by troy.70R/T, March 17, 2011, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Well I have tried to fire up my 70 Charger R/T 440-4-speed and I cannot get it to fire. Here are some of what I Have checked and some questions that I have.
1.   It has no spark I put a plug in #1 plug and get no spark. No spark at coil either. I know the plug wires are wired right and the Distributor is in right.  I have to use a screwdriver and jump the starter relay to get it to start because it will not turn over with the ignition switch.
Ok here are some questions.
1.   It is a 4- speed car and I know that I do not have the neutral safety switch plugged into the transmission yet would that effect the ignition key now working? What wire would I unplug on the bulkhead connector to buy pass this?
2.   The car is wired for electronic ignition and it was a harness that I bought from Bill and Rose Evans so I assume it is wired correctly??????
3.   Would there be a difference between an electronic ignition coil and a points coil? Because I probably just bought one over the counter for a 70 Charger?
4.   Is there any way to test my ignition switch?
5.   I have a brand new orange ECU box that I bought but the screw that holds the connector to it does not seem to tighten down. Would that be a problem or was the screw used just to make sure it did not become disconnected.
6.   Is there any way to test my ECU box?
I would appreciate any help or some links on testing this stuff. Thanks in advance.

John_Kunkel

1) To bypass the NSS just ground the GRD terminal on the starter relay

2) Use a test light to check for power at the ballast, double blue should have battery voltage in RUN and the blue/brown should have battery voltage in START.

3) No

4) Yes, use the same procedure in #2 but if it fails go to the switch connector under the steering column firsty and the bulkhead connector next.

5) The screw isn't necessary if the terminals in the connector are making good contact with the pins on the ECU.

6) Just about any auto supply can test the ECU.

With the switch in the RUN position test to see if is there is power to and through the ballast and at the coil (+) terminal, then disconnect the connector at the distributor and ground the male prong on the engine harness connector, each time the prong is grounded and pulled away there should be a spark from the coil; if there is and there is none at the coil while cranking the pickup in the distributor is faulty.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

troy.70R/T

Thankyou so much for the help John. I hope one of those will fix my problem. one other Question can a coil be checked and how do I do it? Thanks again.

troy.70R/T

Hey Jhon I was able to find my problem with your help on how to check my electrical system. I do have one more question just to make soething more clear for me. In the last question do I want to plug my dist back into the wiring harness and turn the motor over with the coil wire in the coil to check to see if the pick up in my dist is working? anyway I tested everything and it came out to be that my brand new ECU was junk. Thanks for the help John.

nascarxx29

The  dist pick up can be checked by ohmeter unplugged from harness.No reading its bad .I also used a 12 volt test light on - neg side of coil while cranking to see if I get a light that pulsates
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

troy.70R/T

so if the light pulsates then the pick up in the dist is bad?  where exactly do I touch the two leads on my ohmeter to? so if it reads 0.00 then the pick up is bad?

nascarxx29

If light pulsates pick up is triggering your good.The ohmeter check is the 2 wires male and female terminals coming out of dist unplugged from the harness orange black or gray and black I recall.Dont forget the pick up has a air gap setting which should be checked aswell
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

b5blue

I got an Evens engine harness and in pretesting prior to installing (by tugging on all crimps to insure tightness) the blue feed wire at the bulkhead connector pulled loose very easily from the brass connector. I recommend tug testing all new harnesses and in your case re check the column harness (the white strip one) as your getting a no cranking issue. (I keep an aftermarket ignition switch for testing on my 70 without tearing down the column)  :yesnod:

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the help and tips guys. It sure is nice to to get all the help from everyone. I will definitely be printing this thread out for future reference. :2thumbs: