News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ontario Knife Company

Started by bull, April 30, 2011, 01:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Last year I bought a POS machete at Harbor Freight that could barely cut grass, even after trying for hours to get it to hold an edge. So this year I decided to buy a real machete for the frequent battle with the blackberries in the back lot behind my house, and I was told I should get a GI example. So yesterday I called the nearest surplus store and was told that they have some Ontario Knife 18" machetes and then the guy on the phone started talking this Ontario company up so much I figured I should at least take a look. When I got there some of the customers started talking it up too so I guess it's a good one to have. :shruggy: It ain't much to look at really - black zinc plated 1095 carbon steel with a handle - but it's US-made and I think it will sharpen up.

So is this Ontario Knife Company all it's cracked up to be? Never heard of it until yesterday.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/54

Tilar

The top contact number is for government sales. That's the one you call if you want to buy the same machete at a 6x the price.   :'(    I've never heard of them but it amazes me there is still someone in the USA manufacturing anything that doesn't have a home base in Japan. Might be worth a try.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

Quote from: Tilar on April 30, 2011, 04:50:38 AM
The top contact number is for government sales. That's the one you call if you want to buy the same machete at a 6x the price.   :'(    I've never heard of them but it amazes me there is still someone in the USA manufacturing anything that doesn't have a home base in Japan. Might be worth a try.

The place I bought it isn't on the website's list of retailers. :shruggy: I don't know, the way these guys were talking it up I figured everyone had heard of it but me.

twodko

Quote from: Tilar on April 30, 2011, 04:50:38 AM
The top contact number is for government sales. That's the one you call if you want to buy the same machete at a 6x the price.   :'(    I've never heard of them but it amazes me there is still someone in the USA manufacturing anything that doesn't have a home base in CHINA. Might be worth a try.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

I guess I figured out what the big deal is with Ontario Knives. Yesterday I went out back to get a jump on the blackberries and during the 20 minutes I was hacking away I accidentally hit about six different hidden boulders about 8 times. Sparks flew 3-4 times but after all was said and done I couldn't see any damage to the blade. I'm no metallergist but apparently that's what "1095 carbon blade, zinc phosphate finish, full tang construction" gets you. :2thumbs: