News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor Trend Classic photoshoot with the Daytona, WOW !!!! Thanks Doug !!!!

Started by hemi68charger, April 28, 2011, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Well,,,,, Allen was right, there was something amist in the DFW area. I got a call from yours truly Doug S. from the Daytona/Superbird club a couple of months ago.

Thanks Doug !!!

He asked if I would like to participate in a photoshoot for Motor Trend's Classic magazine, a new quarterly magazine out now on classic iron. It was going to be an article on the homologated cars of the '69 and '70 Grand National Series (what NASCAR called their Sprint Cup then). Well,, heck yeah !!!!!!  :2thumbs:

With many phone calls from Preston (Motor Trend contact/writer) and AJ(Photographer), a date of the 27th of April was selected, at NASCAR's Texas Motor Speedway. We were originally supposed to do it last month, but the track didn't want anything outside of the normal Sprint Cup race activitiy happening prior to it's April 9th Samsung Mobile 500 race. There were four cars at the photoshoot:
'69 Charger Daytona: mine
'69 Ford Talladega: Marty's
'69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler: Marty's
'70 Plymouth Superbird: Greg's

I went with my good friend Scotty and son Josh. Needless to say, we were very excited and unsure what to expect, both of the shoot and the weather. Just during that morning and the day before the Dallas/Ft.Worth (DFW) area was experience very bad weather, hail and tornados. I called Allen (xs29j8Bullitt ) for a visit and a potential place to leave the Daytona in the event weather over night became bad. Allen told me to come on up! So, the three of us with the Daytona loaded up headed North. Of course, we ran into 3 big thunderstorms on the way between Houston and Ft. Worth, but it was all good, no hail !!!

We all arrived at Allen's house before dark, unloaded the Daytona, visited and toured his "establishment" in awe. It brought back a lot of good memories for me. I've known Allen a LONG time and remember seeing his Mopars when I was active duty stationed at Carswell AFB as a young airman back in the mid 80's... Then we headed off to Chedder's for a nice dinner. We didn't get back to the hotel until pretty late and it was after midnight before we got to bed. AJ, the photographer, wanted us all at the track by 6:15am !!! Luckily, Allen called me at 5:00am wondering where I was... I forget to set the alarm for 4:30am and had it for 5 !!!  Oppppssssss... Thanks again Allen.

Turns out AJ wanted shots of the cars at Sunrise. Boy, is he right. I saw some of the photo's he took and they were awesome...

We started the day off by pulling into the Sprint Cup pits/garage for a little cleaning action ( I had a lot of road grim on the ole' girl after the storms ). A special thank you to my team/pit crew for the cleaning. As I was getting to know the photographer (AJ) and Motor Trend write (Preston), my buddies were hard at work on the Daytona getting it rady for the day.. Josh got his payment from me in letting him drive his first classic mopar, a Daytona nonetheless, on a NASCAR track !! Needless to say he was very happy and I scored brownie-points with Mom (Kim)..

After which, we head out to pit row... We couldn't have asked for a more perfect morning....

Scotty (to the right, my wingman for 2 tours of Iraq) and Josh (my step-son). Both had a blast and I'm glad I was able, through Doug, to give them a good time.

Well, most of the day was split into sessions of movement shots and stills, both individually and as pairs and groups. He paired the myself and the Superbird along with the Ford and Mercury.

Some more of the Winged Warriors..

Cool shot of gasoline row. Wouldn't I have loved to fill up there...  :icon_smile_big:

Here's the track custodian explaining to us he's there to nothing more than babysit the track, it's ours... Literally for the whole day !!! There was only the 4 of us and believe me you, I took full advantage of it..  :D  (details later)

Come in from one of my laps..

Here are some various shots prior to individual engine/interior/exterior still shots..

Here's a couple of videos of the 4 of us during a tandem moving photoshoot and me..

Video: all four of us

Me coming off a lap...

Video: Myself coming down pit row after a nice fast lap

Scott with me getting up some speed.. There were a couple of laps where I did somewhere between 120mph and 125mph down the backstretch coming out of turn 2. The Daytona had amazing acceleration with the 4.10's and top end with the GearVendor turned on.. Amazing !!  The car was like a train on tracks, perfectly smooth and held whatever groove on the turns I wanted, whether it be low or high. Now I know what it feels like to have the car squatting down with the aerodynamics of the car. I could feel it starting at about 100mph. The Daytona had more in her, but I was relucted at first because of a blow out fear of my right front (  :o ) or other situations where there was maintainence crews out detailing the walls... But, the thrill of unrestricted speeds was awesome.  :drool5:  I'll never forget it.......

Video: Cruising with Scott on one of my faster laps. Yes, the speedo's wrong..  :icon_smile_big:

Josh's cool suggestion...

Then AJ wanted some at the start/finish line...

In the garage, there were some older Cup cars, I'm assuming "MAYBE" they were there for the Driving Experience program? Regardless, I had to get some of the Daytona next to the cars... A little comparison of the "original" wing and then that of the "car of the tomorrow"....

On the way out, I had to "pretend" I was filling up for the next race...

and of course.. I saw the gates open to Victory Circle... I just had too..  :D

Here we're leaving the track down through the turn1/2 tunnel..

With the suggestion of Ken, we tried a local small town favorite, Outlaw Burgers...

Cool Shadow on our way home...

back home..

OK,, burnout action...
My Daytona and Greg's Superbird lining it up !!!  Burnout out action

Enjoy..... It was a BLAST !!!   :2thumbs:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

As usual, it was great to meet some new and interesting people. Marty is a great guy who used to race these things. He's a former Cup driver. He owns the two awesome FoMoCo products. His buddy Ken was another interesting gentleman. We had nice conversations with Scott. Ken's retired Air Force, so we had a lot to chat about other than cars. Greg is a local to the DFW area and has quite the little collection as well. Super nice guy with a great 'Bird. AJ and Preston were really friendly guys, understood us car guys, had great questions and were very professional. I appreciate everything they did for us, including picking up my tab for the hotel.

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

richRTSE

Troy, thats great! What a cool experience. Only thing missing was a 500.  :scratchchin:

I'll have to pick up that issue when it hits the stores.

:2thumbs:

xs29j8Bullitt

You are leading a charmed life Troy... Congrats!  And your Daytona is welcome to stay at the Dodge Mahal anytime!
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemi68charger

Quote from: richRTSE on April 28, 2011, 08:41:31 AM
Troy, thats great! What a cool experience. Only thing missing was a 500.  :scratchchin:

I'll have to pick up that issue when it hits the stores.

I informed them about the C500, the 1st of them all.. But, the chief editor wanted only 4 and to be honest, trying to go 5-wide into turn 1 would have been hairy. Heck, we were within 2 feet of each others doors in the high banks of each turn. I can't imagine doing that at 170 mph !!!!
Troy

xs29j8Bullitt

A few pics from the arrival of Troy's Daytona at its forward deployment base...  ;)

xs29j8Bullitt

A few more pics...

Aero426

Looks like a good time was had by all.    You have to enjoy experiences like these when they come your way.   :cheers:

tan top

wow , what an awesome experience to be there !! good pictures & write up Troy  !!   good videos  too  :yesnod:
thanks for Sharing   :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

Very cool experience .Media exposure will make your daytona even more valueable
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

68RRFlyer

Way cool Troy.  I almost couldn't hold it in on the post about "sumptin' being up" in TX.  I KNEW!!! :lol:  Looking good!!! :2thumbs:

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

jonw29

Congratulations.That is GREAT Troy.That was a great oppritunity.Yessir Marty is a super guy.I have bought that mag b4 but I cant afford to do it on a regular basis @ 15.95 per copy.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on April 28, 2011, 09:22:25 AM
A few pics from the arrival of Troy's Daytona at its forward deployment base...  ;)

Allen, you are a true logistics master.....  Thanks again and thanks for posting those pics.. They are nice.. Better quality than my camera........
Troy

hemigeno

Awesome story & opportunity, Troy!

Neat to see it all come together, and it was nice of Allen to hang a roof over the car's head - if only for the night.

Aero426

Quote from: jonw29 on April 28, 2011, 11:40:43 AM
Congratulations.That is GREAT Troy.That was a great oppritunity.Yessir Marty is a super guy.I have bought that mag b4 but I cant afford to do it on a regular basis @ 15.95 per copy.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty is a real nice guy.   Last I knew, he still owned J.D. McDuffie's last race car. 

Mopar John

Troy,
Great pictures on a truly once in a lifetime opportunity!
MJ

Roger 68 charger

68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hemigeno on April 28, 2011, 12:20:17 PM
Awesome story & opportunity, Troy!

Neat to see it all come together, and it was nice of Allen to hang a roof over the car's head - if only for the night.

Oh, it could have stayed for much loooonger...  but remembering the Predators Troy works on carry Hellfire missiles...  :eek2: :lol:

69_500

Congrats Troy. Looking forward to seeing the magazine once it arrives at my house. And my wife complains that I subscribe to too many car magazines. What is she thinking?

If you would have told me I would have mailed you my camera to use for the week Troy.

Mopurr

Congrats Troy!!!! What a cool fun and unique experience.

Look forward to seeing the article

Charger-Bodie

Have to check that issue out! Congrats on the shoot! More print for your Daytona.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charge69

Congrats on having a wonderful time at the photo shoot. The cars look awesome including yours, Troy!!

hemi68charger

Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great story & opportunity!  I just got the issue with the '68 Hemi Charger on the front.  Did they say when your issue would hit the stands?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T