News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about updating to modern engine

Started by JR, April 28, 2011, 02:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 RT

The 100k tune up is a joke ask any mechanic.
I'm with hpp if you are having that many issues it is not old age. If I were to get tired of my 68 r/t which I won't I would buy a new challenger srt 8. Keep your 68 and get rid of the 70 and think srt 8?

Quote from: JR on May 01, 2011, 06:23:02 PM
Im not doing anything to piss off the Mopar guys. Its my car, I've owned it for ten years, im just tired of the old combo.

The goal is to have a responsive, fun to drive, well sorted do it all car that does what I tell it to. I like how modern cars respond as soon as you touch the pedal, work seamlessly, get decent mpg, and run a long time between needed repairs. Most new cars have a 100k mile tune up. That would be nice.

As for my existing combo. I have a MSD 6A box now, electronic ignition, and a well sorted six pack setup. The basics of the 440 work fine. Never blew a head gasket in ten years, never had an internal failure.

BUT, I am tired of having an engine that wont run well with modern fuels, has constant oil leaks, needs constant ttinkering, and is finickey. I can't remember the last time t would run through the whole rpm range without busting up, detonating, pinging, etc. I realize it is a mismatched combo, but for what it will cost me to put in a properly built engine I could buy a whole new replacement.

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz