News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery not holding charge, alternator/voltage regulator?

Started by snicker, January 07, 2006, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snicker

My battery is absolutely not holding a charge and it is getting annoying as I can't rely on the car to start for me after driving around unless I've left the charger on the battery overnight. The battery is only a few months old as well.

When starting the car and running at idle with no other accessories going I am getting 12v at the alternator and at the voltage regulator. When I turn on the headlights and leave the car at idle I only get 10v at both the alternator and the voltage regulator. Shouldn't the voltage regulator be telling the alternator to speed up and put out more volts?

Both the alternator and voltage regulator are new but the volt. reg. is just a cheapy from Autozone. Thoughts?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

snicker

8WHEELER

Yes it can be the alt, has it worked correctly at all since new?
My last new 60amp alt went bad in less than a year.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

471_Magnum

Check for a good connection on the field wire.

Have the alternator tested. The 'Zone will test it for free.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Nacho-RT74

if you have to much tension on alt belt, bearings or even the alt case got damage and rotor moves out from center, then starts to get friction with stator and some cases almost unoticeable... enough to worn and break one of the lines coil on stator... is my own experience ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Plumcrazy

Check to be sure you have battery voltage to the regulator and one of the field wires with the key on.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

G Force

Have you added new accessories?  Is a 60 amp enough output? I am having the same problem,, Never knowing when the battery will be dead Again ::)  I have replaced the battery 3 time and the alternator twice and the regulator twice all within the last year :flame: , using the car only on Some weekends. I have added two electric fans to the radiator and am wondering if I need a higher output alternator. ???

snicker

Ok, I've narrowed it down to my voltage regulator being the source of the problem. It is a newer solid-state one and I guess it just doesn't work. I've read a few threads of people talking about some not working right so what is the correct voltage regulator I need to get. Any links please? Thanks!

Chryco Psycho

myk

Just started driving the Charger again and noticed the same problem.  I also recall having this problem a few years back.  Standard Mopar regulators weren't charging enough, and when I got the Mopar Performance unit, which has a constant output of 14 volts, it charged too much and fried my batteries.  I gave up, took it to an electrician where they also gave up on it and rigged a...........Motocraft voltage regulator from who knows what, and told me that was what they came up with and besides, "electricity doesn't care about car brands."  The car has been fine since then, although the charging output averages 12.5 volts-not BAD, but not GOOD if I happen to leave my lights on for a couple of hours or something....

Ghoste

And of course, clean all the connections and then clean them again including grounds and especially the bulkhead connector.

snicker

Quote from: Ghoste on January 24, 2006, 10:31:16 AM
And of course, clean all the connections and then clean them again including grounds and especially the bulkhead connector.

Are you just referring to all connections in general? I am suspicicious that I don't have all the proper grounds that I should. From my main battery my negative post only goes to a bolt on the engine. There's a yellow wire coming off the negative terminal that doesn't go anywhere. Where should it go?

Ghoste

I clean any of the electrical connections I can get to as a periodic maintenance chore.  The extra wire coming off the negative terminal should go to a ground on the rad cradle.  Is there a ground srap from the engine to the firewall?

myk

snicker

Can someone post a picture of the three grounds that should be in place?

snicker

I replaced my voltage regulator with one from Rock Auto. I ordered it two days ago and they got it  here QUICK using regular shipping. I am really liking Rock Auto as a great source for parts. The new regulator worked great and fixed my electrical problems completely.

The existing regulator was a new one from Autozone that was junk. Bummer :(

8WHEELER

Quote from: snicker on January 25, 2006, 01:15:19 PM
Can someone post a picture of the three grounds that should be in place?

Do you have the main ground on the top back of the engine, it bolts to the firewall just under my chrome ign box.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.