News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Between the undercoating and rhino lining my idiot body guy put in...

Started by bull, April 27, 2011, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Do I really need the Dynamat stuff? I've got the factory (or more likely the dealer) undercoating on the car, then the undercoating I'm going to spray over that to patch/tidy it up. Added to that is the rhino-lining type stuff the body shop put on the interior floor without my permission. With all that would you think I still need a Dynamat or similar insulation?

elacruze

I'm using B-Quiet products, and I like them; cheaper by far than Dynamat. It depends on just how quiet you want it-I'd at least use an absorber in place of the carpet jute.

http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bill440rt

Not sure how much sound deadening properties sprayable bedliner has, probably some but not much.
I used eDead80, and am very pleased with the sound deadening properties. Also cheaper than Dynamat, and thicker. It just doesn't have their logo printed all over it.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BananaDan

I used the same product as Bill but also put their eDead TekLite v4 on top of that.  It's a foam-based insulation that blocks a different frequency range of noise than eDead 80/Dynamat.  She isn't on the road yet with this stuff and I already notice the difference just climbing around working on my interior resto, and with opening/closing the doors.  I don't even have insulation on the doors yet and the are quieter closing them.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

moparguy01

I can't speak for rhinoliner but I've used a prodct called GatorGaurd inside and underneath classic cars and it made a big difference on noise.

bull

So where are guys getting this stuff? Does it all have to be ordered or is it something you can get local? And how many sq. ft. do I need?

On a sidenote, I still can't figure out how you guys get the rear seats back in with this stuff. I've taken the back seat in/out of a couple of 2nd gens and it took years off my life, with nothing on the floors.

WHITE AND RED 69

I say add it, I doubt the rhino liner will stop alot of noise. I used dynamat on mine and am very happy with it. I got mine on amazon for $129 for the xtreme bulk pack. I used almost 2 boxes for the floors, doors, and the trunk.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on April 27, 2011, 12:04:03 PM
So where are guys getting this stuff? Does it all have to be ordered or is it something you can get local? And how many sq. ft. do I need?

On a sidenote, I still can't figure out how you guys get the rear seats back in with this stuff. I've taken the back seat in/out of a couple of 2nd gens and it took years off my life, with nothing on the floors.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=786
:2thumbs:

Online ordering only. It turned out to be more cost effective vs Dynamat, & it's really the same stuff (foil backed butyl sheet). It's also a little thicker. Just6T9 turned me on to the stuff.

They were also helpful figuring out how much I needed. I think I bought about 100sq feet of the stuff, but I had a little left over so I used it under the rear seat of my '68 to help out with the drone of the Flowmasters.

Getting the rear seat bottom in/out can be a pain. I'm a small guy, so I found it's good to have a helper along. It's also easier if you do one side at a time. Feel with your hand underneath where the floor bracket is, concentrate your push in that area. Push straight back, & while holding pressure lift the seat up or push down to install it.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

pipeliner

bull

They were also helpful figuring out how much I needed. I think I bought about 100sq feet of the stuff, but I had a little left over so I used it under the rear seat of my '68 to help out with the drone of the Flowmasters.

Where else did you use it? Roof, doors, firewall? How much of the interior is 100 sf?

Speaking of 100 sf, here's 100 sf of FatMat for $125, which seems like a decent deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Sq-Ft-Sound-deadener-Fatmat-Dynamat-Roller-/280631232680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156ecc8a8

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on April 27, 2011, 09:16:40 PM

Where else did you use it? Roof, doors, firewall? How much of the interior is 100 sf?

Speaking of 100 sf, here's 100 sf of FatMat for $125, which seems like a decent deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Sq-Ft-Sound-deadener-Fatmat-Dynamat-Roller-/280631232680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156ecc8a8

I used it on the floors, inside the doors, inside the front portions of the 1/4's, even on the inside of the tail light cover to keep some of the vibration away from the tail lights. I used just the regular jute sound pads on the roof.
I honestly don't remember the exact square footage I bought, it could have been 200sq ft for all I remember. It was 2-1/2 big rolls of the stuff, & had about 1/2 roll left over which I used in my '68. Still have a little left over.
BTW, that FatMat auction is for 50mil thickness, the eDead is 80mils (thicker, better sound deadening properties).

gtx6970

depending on how extreme you get as far as complete coverage - 100 sq ft will not do an entire interior roof to floor and insides both doors and 1/4 areas. more like 150 sq ft

Also, this is almost 2 full days to install all this

gtx6970

Insides of both doors, the devider panel behind the rear seat is covered,  as well as the insides of both 1/4 panels are done .
and btw, this is the .080 think stuff called Rattle trap .
You can buy it on ebay without the logo printed on it and it's the same stuff for cheaper than on fatmat.com

This might give you a idea on sound deadening qualities
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuQT5py8xM

BananaDan

I bought 70' of the eDead 80, and it was enough to cover my floors, firewall up to the heater box, inside of the doors and up the back seat wall area, and inside facing area of the wheel wells.  I didn't take my headliner out for my interior resto, so I didn't put anything up there.  My dash didn't come out, so I also didn't go all of the way up the firewall.  I had a half of a roll (~20') left over afterwards.  I bought 50' of the eDead TekLite v4 and that was enough for the same coverage area.  I have pictures here:

http://1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=179.45

And yes, it took about 2 days to get all of it in and done.  The eDead 80 layer takes the most time, the Teklite is easier.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bull

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on April 28, 2011, 12:33:20 PM
Why none on the wheel wells and axle tunnel, Bill?

Thats an old picture. the cardboard seat divider has since been added in and it's covered from wheel well to wheel well. as are the insides of the rear 1/4's . Once everything is buttoned up ( owner just found a pass side door window regulator in the past week. ) So, once it's in and I can make final glass adjustments all the interior will be finished up

HeavyFuel

Maybe just deadener on the floor and axle hump would be enough?

too loud exhaust = bad!

engine noise = good!

But then, my engine is going to be stock.

furyrestored

i used herculiner bed liner on my interior floor and firewall (2 coats)and then fatmat which is really nice stuff and a whole lot cheaper than hushmat or dynamat and sprayed rubber undercoating in both doors and 1/4s along with the fatmat on my interior roof on my 65 coronet and it is as quiet as my wifes new 300 going down the road.I am starting on my 72 charger se now and will do the same on it i like to hear my engine rumble when i am standing behind it not when i am cruising down the highway!sure is nice not having to raise my voice to chat with the wife at 70mph and can talk on speakerphone with no background noise