News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Homework...Ugghhh!

Started by bobs66440, April 26, 2011, 11:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

My 12 yr. old boy (and all the other kids) get at least 1 hour of homework per night...including weekends and holidays! Often it's 2-3 hours. It's insane. It makes it almost impossible for the kids to play sports or have any extra curricular activities. It's been this way since second grade. They are trying to cram too much information in their young heads too soon. Currently he is doing full blown algebra and geometry in 6th grade. I didn't have that until 9th grade. Fortunately my wife is good at that stuff... ::)

They just push these kids through school whether they are ready or not. Unfortunately I think it sets them up for failure in the future. Fortunately my son does pretty well in school, but I see some kids really struggling. It's a shame.

elacruze

If we got rid of the grade system and instead students advanced based on performance it would reduce stress on the kids and parents.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TruckDriver

Half of the homework my kids bring home when they actually get it, is math. I failed math big time. My mind is at a 4th grade level for math, seriously. And the math my kids bring home, I never either seen it before or it is a higher level of math that we were ever taught in school. So, needless to say, there struggling in math too. Although, according to the school, they said tests and studies over the years shows a connection of poor math skills can run in the family :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Dans 68

My daughter is 11, and has about an 1-1/2 hours of homework each night. Minimum. It is just time consuming, and seemingly not too hard to do, even the math (I had a lot of math in college so maybe it is genetic, to a point). She knows a lot of stuff, and even amazes me at time with what she comes up with. Our kids are being pushed more than we were in school, but I believe that it is the same in all areas of life. When I was her age I came home from school, threw my books (if I even had any) on my bed and took off for the hills, literally, off of my backyard and played until dark. Little League baseball, which was followed by High School baseball, and then College Baseball, was not taken nearly as seriously as it is now. It seems to be this way in every facet of our lives.

Dan

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bakerhillpins

Totally in agreement. My daughter is 11 and and the boys are 9. They all have tons of homework, more than I ever remember. And "college prep" courses are pushed while shop classes are cut. Can't imagine how I would survive these days without the knowledge I gained from all the shop classes I took. :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TK73

Quote from: elacruze on April 26, 2011, 12:37:49 PM
If we got rid of the grade system and instead students advanced based on performance it would reduce stress on the kids and parents.

I'd still be in 2nd grade with that kind of motivation... not 4th
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!