News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 cam question

Started by moparguy01, April 25, 2011, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on March 11, 2016, 05:56:34 PM
Sure.  Sometimes there are different or competing objectives.

Right, and thats why im curious where ron is going with this. Somehow i doubt bone stock heads are going on this 493, so going through all the work of a stroker and headwork seems counterproductive to put a stock ch intake on.  :scratchchin:

LowDeck451

Sounds like: Mill the CH (making it a single plane, for the bigger stroker 'lungs') and have hood clearance & stock looks, or a Street Dom.- clearance & non stock looks, or an RPM and have neither.

firefighter3931

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 11, 2016, 11:40:07 PM
Sure.  Sometimes there are different or competing objectives.

Right, and thats why im curious where ron is going with this. Somehow i doubt bone stock heads are going on this 493, so going through all the work of a stroker and headwork seems counterproductive to put a stock ch intake on.  :scratchchin:

Of course there won't be an iron head going on this build  ;) I have a complete 493 rotating assembly sitting on the shelf and several blocks to choose from. With an 84cc chamber it'll have 10.5:1 static compression using a .040 head gasket and zero deck. The pistons are 14cc inverted dome (dish) by Diamond racing with a Scat crank and Scat H-beam rods. This is going to be a cruiser build and I'm even contemplating a 4 spd swap. I've never owned a std trans musclecar and this one won't be raced. Going to keep the 3.23 gears and use a 275/60 rear tire.

With regards to the CH4B ; It's a pretty descent manifold and moves enough air to achieve my power goals for this build which are pretty conservative ; 550hp/600tq with a nice flat torque curve.  :yesnod:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0207-intake-manifold-engine-and-rpm-range-test/

With the divider milled down and a 1/2in open spacer for increased plenum volume I don't see a problem meeting the performance targets.  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 13, 2016, 07:23:03 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 11, 2016, 11:40:07 PM
Sure.  Sometimes there are different or competing objectives.

Right, and thats why im curious where ron is going with this. Somehow i doubt bone stock heads are going on this 493, so going through all the work of a stroker and headwork seems counterproductive to put a stock ch intake on.  :scratchchin:

Of course there won't be an iron head going on this build  ;) I have a complete 493 rotating assembly sitting on the shelf and several blocks to choose from. With an 84cc chamber it'll have 10.5:1 static compression using a .040 head gasket and zero deck. The pistons are 14cc inverted dome (dish) by Diamond racing with a Scat crank and Scat H-beam rods. This is going to be a cruiser build and I'm even contemplating a 4 spd swap. I've never owned a std trans musclecar and this one won't be raced. Going to keep the 3.23 gears and use a 275/60 rear tire.

With regards to the CH4B ; It's a pretty descent manifold and moves enough air to achieve my power goals for this build which are pretty conservative ; 550hp/600tq with a nice flat torque curve.  :yesnod:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0207-intake-manifold-engine-and-rpm-range-test/

With the divider milled down and a 1/2in open spacer for increased plenum volume I don't see a problem meeting the performance targets.  :cheers:

Ron

Although I like reading all the articles, I put little faith (okay, no faith) in the actual numbers from articles.   Getting 550 hp on you buddy's dyno up in VT will be a lot lot harder than on Westech's.   However, I think your goal is attainable.  

On back to back pulls the divider milling/spacer on a much better dual plane than the CH4B made an additional 6 hp from 3700 rpm to 6000.   The graphs plotted together for the two pulls are beautiful.  Perfectly parallel and off set by the 6 hp.  The results would be more dramatic on the CH4B, as it would be more restrictive than the 2D.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

I dont buy the numbers on the ch intake. I had the dp on my 383 and lost a solid 4 mph on my 383 testing it vs the torker on multiple passes same day at the track. The car felt terrible with that intake. Granted it was not milled- bone stock. :shruggy:

While i still feel that intake will hold you back a great deal, your goals should be easily achieved and will probably have a torque curve similar to the one heyoldguy just posted a few threads down.... on a stick car, that will be smiles from ear to ear all day long! Oh, im sure you probably already planned on it, but in addition to milling the divider and the spacer, i would suggest port matching at minimum as well.