News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 cam question

Started by moparguy01, April 25, 2011, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

Well after having some serious engine oiling problems I am having to tear down and recheck everything. I have decided to re evaluate cam choice since the direction I've gone with the car has changed. More street now.

The specs for the engine

approximately 9.8:1 compression
speedpro forged pistons
ly rods shotpeened,resized, with arp bolts
forged crank
ported and polished 452 heads
hp manifolds
3" exhaust with x pipe

the convertor i've got in it now is a 3200 stall but I'm thinking I should go down to a stock around 2600 stall.
And the rear is a 3.55 suregrip with 295/50 tires mounted.

Does anybody have a good cam recommendation to really work with this combo?

firefighter3931

With the HP manifolds you need a wide LSA to reduce overlap. An excellent cam for a build like yours is the Crower HDP282 hyd flat tappet grind. Nice street manners, lots of vacuum for power accessories and a little lope at idle.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparguy01

I'm surprised I didn't get a recommendation on an engle from you. Lol

I take it you have used crower without any issues as well? I've never used a crower before.

Chryco Psycho

moparguy01

I'm wanting a hydraulic cam.

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparguy01 on April 26, 2011, 01:19:33 AM
I'm surprised I didn't get a recommendation on an engle from you. Lol

I take it you have used crower without any issues as well? I've never used a crower before.

Ya Russ, i had that cam in my old 440 & it was built almost identical to yours. It ran excellent and pulled hard to 5800 rpm  :2thumbs:

This is an off the shelf cam profile....anything similar from Engle would be a custom grind  :yesnod:

This cam will drop right in with no valveguide trimming so it's a plug & play deal as long as your valvesprings are up to the task  ;)

Type in pn 32243 @ the link below for the cam card to the HDP282 :

http://www.crower.com/cam-card-finder/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparguy01

Sounds like a good cam for the street then. Much more up to it than the comp extreme energy I have in there. I just decided this needs to go more streetable and stop using the "bigger is better" mentality.

I forgot to mention, I assume this has a real nice lope to the exhaust note? Can't have a mopar without that you know. :lol:

firefighter3931

Yep, it has a nice lope but nothing too radical....it won't be mistaken for stock  :icon_smile_big:

It pulls about 16in of vacuum so power brakes are no problem and it's easy to tune. I ran it with 18* initial timing & 36* total @2500  :yesnod:

What XE cam are you currently using Russ ? What intake manifold ? What carb ?

Ron

moparguy01

I don't remember the number off hand but it's a .545 intake exhaust gross lift. I tried to look at the number but their site sucks.

The intake is a edelbrock performer with a eps 800 carb. I have considered a intake swap to a dual quad just for the fun of it.

firefighter3931

The cam you have now is an high lift xe285hl which is quite a bit larger on the duration and with a slightly narrower LSA.  :yesnod:

That intake is a cork....you need to ditch it ASAP !  :eek2:

If you don't go with the dual quad setup use a Performer RPM or better yet a vintage CH4B with a 750 ProForm carb  :yesnod:

Ron

moparguy01

Are you saying the cam I have would work if I used a different intake setup?

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparguy01 on April 26, 2011, 12:22:16 PM
Are you saying the cam I have would work if I used a different intake setup?

That cam needs more intake, carb, stall, gearing and a set of headers.  :yesnod:

-Performer RPM or Street Dominator
-850 double pumper
-3800-4000 stall (9.5in dynamic would be perfect)
-3.91-4.10 gears
-1 7/8 X 3 Header

Ron

moparguy01

Have you eve used a offenhauser dual quad? There's on the bay with a pair of weber carbs pretty reasonable.

I wondered if it might need more gear which willkill off highway usage.

Thanks for all your help!

elacruze

the Offy 360* manifold isn't great, with short runners and little division between them. I'm using an Eddy dual-plane dual quad on my 505.
Weber carbs add to the learning curve and difficulty of tuning.

I had a CH4B on my 440 with 850dp Holley and loved it. Here's a CH4B on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CH4B-440-Mopar-Edelbrock-manifold-CHRY2836150-/270737692765?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0939585d#ht_500wt_1182
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68r/t

Quote from: elacruze on April 26, 2011, 04:29:48 PM

the Offy 360* manifold isn't great, with short runners and little division between them. I'm using an Eddy dual-plane dual quad on my 505.
Weber carbs add to the learning curve and difficulty of tuning.

I had a CH4B on my 440 with 850dp Holley and loved it. Here's a CH4B on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CH4B-440-Mopar-Edelbrock-manifold-CHRY2836150-/270737692765?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0939585d#ht_500wt_1182

That manifold has had the center divider milled out, ,might be best to avoid it.

Brass

I have the Crower cam as recommended by Ron and I'm using the CH4B with a smallish (700 cfm) double pumper and HP manifolds.  Power is still down from where I'd like because of low compression but those parts were a big improvement.  Decent street combo with an assertive exhaust note.  

68r/t

I also have the Crower 282, ch4b manifold, 9.4-1 compression ratio, mildly ported iron heads, 750 Holley, HP manifolds with twin 2 1/2" exhaust with ultra flows and it is a real  fire breather for such a basic old school combo, pulls to 6000rpm real quick.

Nacho-RT74

I have been debating myself on get the Crower 271 or 282s for my build soon, pointing out to 9.5 CR ( toward more to the 282, but I'm sure lot of ppl will say me 271  ). After read those specs, there is nothing what I like better than those specs I read. I can't find any Comp, Hughes, Engle etc that matchs better with a streetable and performance build like those without any kind of job on heads for valve guides and seals. Of course not telling by my experiences but reading by the ppl experiences when talking about those kind of numbers specs
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparguy01

Now the next important question. With the crower cam can I use a single spring? I've got a set of the comp springs on it now that were recommended for that 285hl that are dual springs with a damper. Unfortunately it makes it a pain in the butt for cam break in usig only the outer springs.

firefighter3931

The Comp #911 valvesprings will work fine with the HDP282....it's a single spring with a dampner. Fits perfectly with the stock retainers & locks.  :2thumbs:

Ron

LowDeck451

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 26, 2011, 12:17:45 PM
The cam you have now is an high lift xe285hl which is quite a bit larger on the duration and with a slightly narrower LSA.  :yesnod:

If you don't go with the dual quad setup use a Performer RPM or better yet a vintage CH4B with a 750 ProForm carb  :yesnod:

Ron
Ron, just wondering, do you prefer the CH4B over the RPM in this situation/combo? Any particular reason? Thanks.

firefighter3931

Quote from: LowDeck451 on March 11, 2016, 01:51:21 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 26, 2011, 12:17:45 PM

Ron

Ron, just wondering, do you prefer the CH4B over the RPM in this situation/combo? Any particular reason? Thanks.

In terms of performance the CH4B is an excellent manifold and doesn't give up much to the RPM if anything. The CH4B is lower and pretty close to stock height so the stock throttle/kickdown linkages will work and you can also use a stock air cleaner assembly.

Conversely ; the Performer RPM is much taller than stock, requires modified throttle and kickdown linkage and also needs an aftermarket drop base air cleaner assembly to clear the hood....stock air cleaners will not fit.

I've got a CH4B sitting on the shelf for a future 493 "street build" that will use the factory HP exhaust manifolds and a set of aftermarket aluminum heads. I'll want that engine build to have the stock look under the hood  :coolgleamA:

Ron

BSB67

And milling the divider might add a bunch of power.  Just saying.   :whistling:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on March 11, 2016, 05:36:58 PM
And milling the divider might add a bunch of power.  Just saying.   :whistling:

I will put a paycheck you are right. However, even milled, i still feel that manifold is leaving alot of power on the table. It is not hard to get an rpm under the stock hood and in my experiences, would be a much better all around performer, especially on a 493- even mild. I have never ported the ch, so that could be a game changer as well since i assume it would be modified on this engine to match the flow of your heads.

BSB67

Sure.  Sometimes there are different or competing objectives.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph