News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 speedo and odometer not working

Started by dolphinron, April 28, 2011, 12:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolphinron

I had my charger fixed recently at a shop and when I got it back I now notice speedo and odometer are not working. They had to take dash off to work on some wiring.  Is there a easy fix for this anyone can give me.   I am not bringing it back to shop. They had my car two weeks and dont want them messing with it again. 

terrible one

Check to see if they forgot to hook the speedo cable back up to the cluster when they put it back in.

ODZKing

:iagree:  that would be first.  If they changed the cable it doesn't like to go into the transmission part easily either.
Be sure it is routed away from the exhaust manifolds as well, I've melted more than one.

NHCharger

THe cable has a plastic end and simply snaps on to the back of the speedometer. They probably put if on but didn't push it on far enough to lock it in place.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

dolphinron

Thanks guys, do I need to take the dash off for this, and if yes, what does that entail?

NHCharger

No. Just lay on your back with your head next to the gas pedal. Find where the speedo cable comes thru the firewall and up into the bottom of the speedometer.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

John_Kunkel

Quote from: NHCharger on April 29, 2011, 11:55:18 AM
THe cable has a plastic end and simply snaps on to the back of the speedometer. They probably put if on but didn't push it on far enough to lock it in place.

Or they broke the retaining tab due to its age and brittleness.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.