News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding my Rearend,what else do I need?

Started by pipeliner, April 20, 2011, 08:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipeliner

Ive got a 8 3/4,489 case,suregrip.Ordered a Master rebuild kit,which included Timken bearings but I didnt see but one seal.Figured I should have some carrier bearing seals but not for sure.Do the carriers have to be pressed in?Heres a pic of what I got.Thanks.

terrible one

The only seal is the pinion seal so you are all set there. There are inner seals for the axle bearings though. The carrier bearings as well as the pinion bearings are pressed on.

pipeliner

So I need axle bearings and seals as well?Are they also pressed on?

terrible one

Well I'd say that depends on what condition the old ones are in but with it all torn apart and considering I got the axle bearing and seal kit for I think $85 or so, it's well worth it to go ahead do them too. Yes, They are pressed on and use a retaining collar. There are both inner and outer seals for the axle bearings. The inner seals have to go on before the bearing is pressed on, another reason for going ahead and replacing them in my opinion. The outer seals go into the axle housing so they can be replaced a lot easier.

daves68

Get rid of that crush sleeve and drop the bucks on a solid spacer and shims.

Chatt69chgr

You can get the spacer and shims from RATECH.