News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Advise - 1st start after rebuild and I think I am in trouble

Started by Peters02, April 24, 2011, 04:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

Had the 318 from my 72 rebuilt last December.  Finally got it in and hooked up.  Started it last weekend (primed the oil for 20+ minutes while turning the engine every 3min or so and had plenty of water in the radiator, etc.)  Had some trouble starting it at first as the carb was all out of whack and it was running lean, but I did get it started - smoked like crazy and then after about 10 minutes - no smoke.  Ran it for 20 minutes - probably a bit higher than 2k rpm, but not much.  Temp gauge never went past 1/3. 
Since that time I've had it running for maybe 15 minutes total while I adjust the timing and carb and such.  Initially it was a bear to start - turnover, ignite, stall, etc. but now it starts and runs like a champ.  However, I have some issues and it'd be helpful for some advise......(in order of frustration)

a) There is a ticking sound from the dr side.  Now I am noticing antifreeze coming up between the manifold and head.  Are these potentially related or two problems?  A bad head gasket?  (And I suppose likely nothing covered by the warranty of the guy who rebuilt it).  There's also quite a bit or moisture coming from the exhaust when I first start it....but maybe I am just being paranoid.  No smoking of any time at this time.

b) The carb is leaking fuel from the top gasket.  Bad float adjustment?

c) The master cylinder is leaking from the top - where the cover meets the cylinder body - from the end opposite the firewall.  NEVER saw this before and I am thrilled it has ruined my new paint. Anyone know of a remedy or did I get a defective part?

d) The PS pump is leaking, but not from any of the connections...seems to be from a bolt that holds it to the bracket (of course the inaccessible one near the bottom of the pump).  Anyone ever have that issue and found a remedy or again, bad part?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Peter

randr

Studs on exhaust manifold on ends need sealant! Probably the antifreeze problem. If so remove and seal threads no big deal
I'm Bored! what to do next......