News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tight wad stories

Started by Silver R/T, April 20, 2011, 10:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

What are some of the tightest people you came across? I work with some of the tight wads....We usually have BBQ's and each person is responsible for bringing certain food (buns, hot dogs, chips, etc) So this one guy always keeps bringing .99c buns while everyone else brings more expensive things sausage, pies, salads, etc.
This time around my boss said "I will bring the buns" and guy who usually brings them was a bit astonished. So he said he will bring the polish sausage. Then after thinking about it for a minute he added "I will only bring one each, so that's 5"
I am nice guy and always bring at least 2 for each person or I will bring Cirus O'Learys pie (who doesn't love them?)
Same guy always talks how he wants to win a million but whenever we have toy drive for kids he will never donate. I just really hate tight wads and hope they get what comes around.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

HalfastJav

Tell him to bring crab
Then fire him after the bbq

TK73

Quote from: HalfastJav on April 20, 2011, 11:15:47 PM
Tell him to bring crab
Then fire him after the bbq

:rofl:

What's up D??

HalfastJav

Had moms bday out last night great time w/fam and friends.
She's hangin in there with the Huntingtons disease.

My sister and mark says hi.

Oh and the 67 Camaro got dropped off today, you should come scope it before mark takes it to CDA.
Also been workin on the car and parts hunting.

TK73

Cool, might just make a trip this w/e...

bull

Quote from: HalfastJav on April 20, 2011, 11:22:55 PM
Had moms bday out last night great time w/fam and friends.
She's hangin in there with the Huntingtons disease.

My sister and mark says hi.

Oh and the 67 Camaro got dropped off today, you should come scope it before mark takes it to CDA.
Also been workin on the car and parts hunting.

Whoa, looks who's here. :nana: Four posts and not one of them has a picture of someone puking? WTH?

Steve P.

Do my eyes deceive me??  Can't be Deano!!!!!  How are ya buddy????  Long time...  :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Richard Cranium

After performing working in a customer's house, myself and my helpe at the timer were given a two dollar tip. To be fair, the tipper was a guy in his 80s & probably was unaware that 2 bucks was nothing. I tried to refuse it but he was insistant on giving it.  :smilielol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Cooter

As a mechanic, I deal with rich people who always claim they have no money to even keep up their vehicles that transport their small children..
Yet, in the same breath, will tell me about the new Corvette they just bought and how they need to get it to me to work on.

I've found that some folks refuse to spend money cause they actually think the hearse has a luggage rack on top. I've found that cheap ass people usually have more money that they can spend, they just don't wanna spend any of it so they can hold onto that sense of "Power" all that "Ass kissing" brings when you are rich or well off. They feel that if they spend it all, then no more "Ass kissing"...Sad really, as the most giving folks I know have very little to nothing to give. A rich man can hit the lottery tomorrow and still have money when he dies, but a p[oor man hits the lottery and is broke within a year. I feel this is because a poor man has never had that level of "Ass kissing" that the rich man is accustomed to, and will spend crazy money to keep it coming...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

stripedelete

Quote from: Cooter on April 21, 2011, 05:48:14 AM
As a mechanic, I deal with rich people who always claim they have no money to even keep up their vehicles that transport their small children..
Yet, in the same breath, will tell me about the new Corvette they just bought and how they need to get it to me to work on. "

Sounds like you are describing "high income earners" - not rich people.  And yes, thier prioirties are more often out of whack. 

"Big Hat  - No Cattle" 

Old Moparz

Went to the shore & rented a condo for 2 weeks with about 5 other friends. We bought lots of supplies the day before we left & split the bill 6 ways. Things like beer, toilet paper, pasta, beer, pepto bismol, sauce for the pasta, beer, asprin, cereal, milk, beer, & maybe a few other things that was $50 or so each. Some of us would just buy other things & share like a bag of rolls or chips & not ask for money. The night we decided to have the pasta, I wanted to add some meat & spices to the plain sauce & one guy, the tight wad, went to get a small bottle of garlic powder at the store.

When he returned, he stood in the middle of the room & announced, "I need everyone to pitch in & pay their share of the garlic powder that cost $1.49" 

We just laughed & ignored him.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RECHRGD

I really don't have any problems with tightwads in a general sense.  Being responsible and saving your money is a good thing IMHO.  I do have a problem with people who go the other direction and spend money they don't have just to impress people.  It's all about priorities.  Let the kid's go without braces or new clothes, BUT, drive that new BMW and live in a big house that's mortgaged to the hilt.
13.53 @ 105.32

twodko

"Big Hat  - No Cattle"   Great expression!

Was this about Corvette owners.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

derailed

Big hat, no cattle. Thats a good one

bull

My brother and mother are hopeless tightwads who learned from the King of Tightwads; my father. My dad was notorious for spending a dollar to save a dime. Here's a short list of some of the larger items my dad cheaped out on:

1. Refused to buy a fifth wheel travel trailer so he converted a hitch-drawn Terry into a fifth wheel. It looked stupid and cost more than if he'd have just purchased a nice used fifth wheel built by professionals.
2. Refused to sell a 4x4 IH Travelall for the money to buy a pickup to use on the farm. Instead he bought a used 2wd IH pickup cab, swapped the cab onto the Travelall 4x4 frame and then built a flat bed.
3. Refused to buy a pickup designed to tow the previously-mentioned homemade fifth wheel travel trailer so he purchased a Detroit Diesel drivetrain out of a mobile home hauler and shoe-horned it into a 2wd 1976 Ford Ranger. Cost way more than anything Ford, Chevy or Dodge routinely built for doing the same job. It also didn't fit so he hacked the firewall, core support and grill.
4. Would always mooch off a family friend who owned a machine shop having him rebuild transmissions, fabricate hitches and machine little bits and pieces that cost next to nothing to buy at a parts store.
5. Purchased countless used appliances that would rarely last more than about 6-8 months. You can own a pretty nice washing machine that will last 10-15 years for the cost of 4-5 crappy used ones.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: derailed on April 21, 2011, 12:50:02 PM
Big hat, no cattle. Thats a good one

Around here its said "All Hat and No Cattle"
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

twodko

Most become tightwads as we get older.............55+. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

nh_mopar_fan

"A rich man can hit the lottery tomorrow and still have money when he dies, but a p[oor man hits the lottery and is broke within a year. I feel this is because a poor man has never had that level of "Ass kissing" that the rich man is accustomed to, and will spend crazy money to keep it coming..."

Frankly, I think it's because the rich guy keeps making decisions that made him rich and the poor guy keeps making the decisions that keep him poor.

When I had employees, I saw it every day. People would make terrible decisions every day and then complain that they could not get ahead.

The people that drive me nuts are the ones that after a dinner or drinks out don't chip in their fair share to cover the bill. We have one friend that is notorious for it. We just started grabbing the bill and splitting it evenly with the 20% tip included. I swear that he once went back in after we walked out and grabbed a couple bucks from the tip!

Silver R/T

Btw the guy I'm talking about makes decent wages, has no mortgage, kids moved out, wife works...he has plenty saved up and is just a few years from retirement age.
Maybe it's just me but I really hate when people try to mooch off of others or hope to win lottery but won't give a dollar to needy person.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ponch ®

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 22, 2011, 12:37:53 PM
Btw the guy I'm talking about makes decent wages, has no mortgage, kids moved out, wife works...he has plenty saved up and is just a few years from retirement age.

Well, now you know how he did that.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RECHRGD

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 22, 2011, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on April 22, 2011, 12:37:53 PM

Well, now you know how he did that.

Exactly!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
13.53 @ 105.32

Silver R/T

I agree, great for him. However first thing he asked me on our BBQ day "what did you bring Max?" Cause guy knows I don't cheap out. I just told him "your favorite" as he knows I usually bring nice pie for dessert. This time I cheeped out and got some cookies on sale. Maybe guy will get a hint...
I also heard a story of him loosing a nickel in vending machine and he was freaking out until vendor came and gave him his nickel back

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Old Moparz

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on April 22, 2011, 09:09:11 AM

The people that drive me nuts are the ones that after a dinner or drinks out don't chip in their fair share to cover the bill. We have one friend that is notorious for it. We just started grabbing the bill and splitting it evenly with the 20% tip included. I swear that he once went back in after we walked out and grabbed a couple bucks from the tip!

:lol:  I think we have a mutual friend we don't know about.

Same thing would happen all the time when a group of us would end up in a diner. There would never be enough to leave a tip, & in some cases, we were short on the bill. I'd always end up paying double of what I ate to make sure I didn't eat spit the next time I was in there. Eventually the tight wad got the message when we pre-planned the check paying by trapping him in the booth so he couldn't be the first one out of the seat when the check arrived.

We all dropped just enough money on the table for food, told him to grab the check & the tip & we all bolted for the door. When he got outside he moaned about how much he had to cough up because we left no tip. I said it was his turn to cover it & there is a first time for everything. He looked embarrassed & it didn't happen again so I guess he finally got it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 23, 2011, 11:19:57 AM
Same thing would happen all the time when a group of us would end up in a diner. There would never be enough to leave a tip, & in some cases, we were short on the bill. I'd always end up paying double of what I ate to make sure I didn't eat spit the next time I was in there.

How does that always happen? Every time I go out to eat with friends there is NEVER too much money and yet everyone claims to have paid extra. :shruggy: If my portion is $5 for example I always put down $8-$10 and yet when it's all counted up we're either short or we're right on the money and some poor schmuck has to pay the tip for everyone. Never fails. ::)