News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying to remove the driveshaft

Started by Matthan, April 19, 2011, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

I am trying to remove the driveshaft out of my 1969 Dodge Charger. I have removed the 2 clamps and 4 bolts on the rear of the Driveshaft but it does not seem to be loose is there something I am missing?

FLG

Put the transmission in neutral and give it a little turn/bump...it'll come loose and drop down :2thumbs:

resq302

Did you try removing it from the girdles of the yoke and then pulling it down?  If you only removed the bands and bolts, you have to push it towards the trans a little to get it away from the pinion yoke.  Then it should drop down and then you can slide the slide yoke out.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

flyinlow

A little judicial use of a 2lb ford fixer is sometimes needed.   :smilielol:

Sometimes you have to tap the driveshaft forward to knock the rust loose and get the rear u-joint out of the companion flange.

charger2fast4u

As long as the 4 bolts and 2 hold downs are off it you should be able to slide the shaft forward to come out of the yoke I've had to tap on the shaft lightly to loosen it up to bring it forward also you can try a screwdriver or small pry bar and pry on the end of the driveshaft at the yoke always worked for me

Matthan