News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a longer tank strap bolt (J Bolt)

Started by NGC414, April 18, 2011, 07:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

Is there anywhere that I could purchace a longer than stock tank strap bolt for a 68 charger? I have been fighting the driver side tank strap with no luck. It will get right to the end of the bolt, but I cant get it to start threading.
If I could get a bolt just a bit longer it will make life much easier.
Thanks,

Patronus

Been there buddy... It will fit, try a floor jack and some wood so you don't dent the tank. Also, be sure to lube the gasket for the filler tube..
I found it easier to actually thread the nut on as opposed to trying to hook the j bolt into the slot with the nut and strap.  :Twocents:
If all else, natures lubricant: force!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

TXcharger70

I have been there as well it was a pain in the ass! Definitely use a jack to help you i thought the same but you will eventually get it. I believe i did the way Patronus  said

NGC414

I have a jack with a 15" 2x4 holding the strap against the tank and I greased the rubber seal. The closest I can get is the tip of the bolt about 1/16' inch from the hole on the strap.
I did replace the trunk floor, extensions, lower valance, lower 1/4s and new gas tank. I wounder if that threw me off slightly with the tank strap. the passenger side went on after fighting it, but the driverside is just out of reach.
I will give it another shot this weekend.

Charger-Bodie

Stick a line up bar (or similar) into the hole and jack the strap up. Kinda work it in so to speak. Then slowly let the pressure on the jack down and give it a go.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............