News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wow. I had no idea it would feel this miserable...

Started by bull, April 17, 2011, 08:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

To lose my dog, Jessie. We got her in January of 1999 from the county animal shelter. At the time I worked for the local newspaper and I took her picture for the "Adopt-A-Pet" feature where they print a photo/description of a dog or cat in need of a home. The moment I saw her I knew I had to have her and so we ran down there the next morning and were second in line to adopt her. Thank God the first person in line had to pass and she was ours.

She was the best dog I ever knew. Sadly, about two years ago her health started to go down hill quickly. Nothing major but a few little things. Then, about three months ago she injured right rear leg somehow on the carpet while getting ready to go for a walk and that slowed her down even more. Finally, about two weeks ago she really started acting strange. She would always hide when she laid herself down which was very non-typical for her, being a very social dog. She would either hide under my desk or lay with her head behind a curtain or chair. Before she had always wanted to be near us and now she was avoiding us. It was as if she knew something was coming.

Well, last Friday it came. She had a seizure that lasted about five minutes. She'd never had one before so it really freaked us out but we called some family in the know about dogs and he told us it might (hopefully) be a one-time thing so we let it go. Early Saturday morning she had another one that lasted about five minutes too (you're supposed to time them) so my wife took her to the vet on Saturday and she checked out fine but they took some blood to test and gave us the number to a 24-hour clinic. Saturday evening she was acting strange too, as in running around the house whimpering as if she was being chased by a bear. Then Saturday night after 11 pm she had a seizure, then another one at 2 am and then a big one at 3:10 am, another at about 3:20 and again at about 3:35. Each of them lasted 6-8 minutes each and once she came-to she was not the same. Distant, unresponsive, unable to stand, etc. Obviously something was very wrong. She wouldn't come out of it and we didn't recognize her anymore. So we made the call and took her in to have her put to sleep today. None of us could take it anymore; we couldn't stand to see her suffering as she was.

I didn't know I could cry as much as I did today. I had no idea her death would effect me this much, even though I could see this day coming over the past few months. I've owned a lot of dogs and I've known a lot of dogs but none of them were close to being as perfect as this one was. :'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PS-LkEdq40

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

skip68

So sorry to hear of  your loss. Pets are very much family! (and usually behave better than our children!) Prayers with your family! Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bobs66440

Very sorry to hear.  :'( 

When I had to put mine down it was very painful. But the pain eventually subsides and you go on.  :yesnod:

A383Wing

we lost our cat of 16 years back in 2005.....it was real hard..we swore we would never get another pet again...

but we did last year....

time heals

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

I hear you Bull. We had to put down our eldest lab Iris last summer and it just crushed me. She was such a great dog and I didn't deserve her but she stuck with me anyhow. Frankly, she was always a mess, her medical rap sheet was probably 14 pages front and back but she was always right there with us.

Sorry for your loss.  :'(  It will be tough for a while but you will eventually get through it. We still miss Iris. She has a great resting spot on the far side of the lot with lots of irises to remind us.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BIGBLCK11

Sorry to hear that.  It is tough to lose a pet.  Focus on all the good from the past 12 years and how chance crossed your paths together.

TruckDriver

Pets are like our children. They get in our hearts, and you can't live without them. My condolences Curtis.  :pity:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mopar440+6

I'm sorry man, just try to focus on the good memories and with time the pain will subside...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

bmoparmofo

Sorry to hear it, I have been through it as well. Its never easy. Best wishes, R.I.P.
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

71ChallengeHer

hemi-hampton

Cooter

Damn Bull, Sorry to hear this. I know all to well bout havin' to "Take that loing walk" with a family dog. Hardest thing I think I'll ever have to do. Could hardly hold myself straight. She's in a better place now and she's waitng for you to join her again. May "Jessie" Rest finally...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mikesbbody

Bull, I am truely sorry to hear this  :'( I was in a similar situation not long ago. About a year ago, I saw a pure breed
British Bulldog at the Local Animal Shelter I thought "this must be a mistake he must have been found wandering and the Owners will come and collect him" but no, not the case and he had very little time left before they were going to put him to sleep. 2 other People put their Name's down for him one already had a Dog, the other's I was told were "not suitable" so I got him! named him Jimmy and I couldn't be happier! I have no idea how I'm gonna handle losing him  :'( he's my best Friend. Remember, you saved Jessie and gave her a good life! for that your deserve endless amounts of  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Tilar

That's sad to lose a pet like that. Mom lost 3 cats that she raised over the last year and it was like she lost a child each time.

That's a pretty cool video there.  :yesnod:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

kokxville

I'm sorry to hear from your loss,but you did everything you could.

Good luck.
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

hemi68charger

Curtis,
I hope you will find confort in knowing she's in a better place and in comfort..

Romans 8:19(KJV)
The lesser creatures await 's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HPP

You have my sympathy, Bull.
I do not look forward to the day when we have to do that for our dog. At 12 years old, I know it is coming someday soon.

I've seen a phrase somewhere that talks about dogs, as our friend, their loyalty, their trust, and endless devotion to our happiness, and how we owe it to them to be worthy of such admiration. I trust your relationship with your dog was one so worthy.

bull

Brock Samson

bull

I must say, talking to the cat isn't nearly as much fun. I could have conversations with Jessie and the whole time her ears would be up and she'd be tilting her head like the RCA dog, trying to understand. Finally she'd just give up and go back to wagging her tail. :lol:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BigBlockSam

i'm so, so sorry for your loss , i've had to make that decision twice with my dogs . it's very hard and i cried a lot .i know your hurting and you might think that it is to soon but the only thing that helped me was getting a new puppy . it helped heal my heartache .  good luck
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

RECHRGD

Sorry Bull.  I've lost several pets over the years and it's never easy.  Some are more special than others.  My current best buddy is like the son I never had and I can't imagine being without him.......But I know that time will come.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

Thanks. We'll probably get another dog one day but it will be a while. I've never gone looking for a dog but they always seem to find me somehow. The dog I had before Jessie, another very good dog I had named Cuda, I found as a puppy in front of a Safeway store. A kid had a litter of pups she was giving away and Cuda was the last one.

nvrbdn

sorry to hear. just lost my cat "tucker". like someone ripped my heart out. pets are part of the family.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

charge69

Sorry to hear it Bull,  I too have pets and have buried a few over the years and it is always so tough.

jb666

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about this.. We have two dogs.. My wife keeps telling me "When Lucy goes, you're going to have to have me committed". She's not kidding, either.. Our older dog is like a person..

They are members of the family, 100%. Losing one is devastating. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

lisiecki1

Really sorry for your loss Bull....  I had Kodi for 17 years, she was my closest friend and confidant....hardest thing I ever did was watch her go, that was 3 years ago and I'm still tearing up while I type this.  It gets easier, but my wife and I went off the deep end I think, while dealing with the loss and now we have 8 dogs.

You probably don't want to go that route. :P
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

tan top

awww sorry to hear this Bull !!  losing a cat or a dog is soo sad, as they are part of your family  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

Sorry to hear that Bull. They do become part of the family.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Steve P.

Awfully sorry for your loss buddy. It's been more than 4 years since we had to put down Merlin and I still think of him very often. Part of you just seems to go with them.. My condolences brother. 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

adauto

Sorry for your loss, been down that road a few times myself.  :'(
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Vainglory, Esq.

Sounds like you're really hurting.  I'm not sure there's much we can say, but I'm sure she was a good dog, and our thoughts are with ya.

bull

Thanks all. I and the family are starting to feel better, or maybe more accepting of the situation is a better way to put it. For the past couple of days I was feeling pretty guilty about putting her down and lots of "what if" questions came to mind. My wife and kids and I all talked about it though and determined that enough was enough and all of us had had enough of her suffering, including her I think. It all happened so fast, even though she had grown weak over the past few years I really didn't expect us to be where we are now this soon. But here we are.

I think we've decided on the old school burial route as opposed to cremation so tomorrow I'll most likely pick her up. We'll get a nice fabric to wrap her in and put her up near a group of three cedar trees I planted about five years ago just beyond our back yard. I think it will be nice.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Johnny SixPack

So sorry to hear of your loss, Curtis.

As stated, it's never easy.

At it's never been for me.

Don't play the what if game, as you know what had to be done for her.

The hardest part of being a true friend is knowing when you have to let them go.

Just do whatever you can to remember the good times, man.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

69 OUR/TEA

Bull,very sorry for your loss,I know all to well what it feels like and can relate what you are going thru.
Never did mention it here,but on Jan 21st of this year,lost my dog to.He was a black lab/chow mix,got him in 1997 at about 4 months old.Heck ,he was here before I got married,and before my kids were ever even a thought!!!!! Never heard of that mix until I got him,but must say what an excellent,very smart dog he was.It was a dog that you can let ouside and rome around with no ties,fence,etc.Not a days lick of trouble his whole life,just the reg shots and vacs every Dec.Same food for his entire life,never ranged out of his weight by 2-3 lbs.The vet constantly would tell me whatever I'm doing ,don't change a thing!!!!!! He was 14 years old,and most could not beleive he was that good at that age,muscular and skeletal seemed no diff than when he was 2.
On Jan 21st,he came in from outside from doing his thing ,looked at me and just layed down???????Not normal as it was time for breakfast.Stood up took two steps and fell over on his side,started breathing real short and heavy,rushed him to my vet,and after some tests,it was his spleen that burst and had filled up his stomach with blood.
I knew what was next,and this being my first ever dog,well,you know the rest.She administered the shots and he went lifeless in my hands.I don't care how big a man you think you are,tears will be shed.My vet was an excellent one,she would tell me every year that out of her clientell,most his age were hanging on by a thread,and here he would just walk right in like he was 5.

I was both sad and mad,that he showed no signs of weakness or simptoms,and being that good of shape,just could drop like that.She did tell me as good as he was structurally,he still was 14 years old on the inside,which makes sense.
But the worst was it was a snow day,and the kids witnessed the whole thing and were torn up pretty bad.
I to started with the "what if's",but you can't do that,just look back at all the good times you were given with a special friend.
In due time,it will get better,take care,and again sorry for your loss.

bull

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your buddy going too.

Like you, the thing that got me was the suddenness of it with my dog. Sure, she had slowed down but the seizure after seizure really shocked us. My wife and I both talked to our vet about it and based on her blood tests they think she either had cancer or a brain tumor. There were some warning signs but we didn't understand them. She knew something was up with the hiding during her last two weeks instead of wanting to be with us. It was not like her.

I decided not to bury her out back, at least not her body. We're going to cremate her and bury her ashes instead because space is limited on my property and I really don't want some coyote trying to dig her up. I'd get into trouble for firing a weapon inside the city limits if I caught a coyote doing that.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: bull on April 24, 2011, 12:57:58 AM
Thanks. Sorry to hear about your buddy going too.

Like you, the thing that got me was the suddenness of it with my dog. Sure, she had slowed down but the seizure after seizure really shocked us. My wife and I both talked to our vet about it and based on her blood tests they think she either had cancer or a brain tumor. There were some warning signs but we didn't understand them. She knew something was up with the hiding during her last two weeks instead of wanting to be with us. It was not like her.

I decided not to bury her out back, at least not her body. We're going to cremate her and bury her ashes instead because space is limited on my property and I really don't want some coyote trying to dig her up. I'd get into trouble for firing a weapon inside the city limits if I caught a coyote doing that.

Thats what I did,had him cremated.They gave me back a certificate of proof,and a nice decorative tin that he is in.Also a clay mold of his paw print that you bake in the oven to cure it.Not sure just yet what we are going to do.

elanmars

my sympathies, as it's an awful situation to be in, been there, done that, 4 days before christmas too a few years ago. blah.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

The70RT

Sorry Curtis, hang in there. You will need to get a replacement as soon as you can. We went through the same thing last year with Stumpy. Im sure you seen my threads on him. We took it like a baby but like most say dogs are family. I didn't want to get another right away but my wife really needed another since she was not working and was home most of the time. We got another just a few weeks later. Time heals but time takes time, a new puppy will get your spirits up sooner.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HITMAN 149

my sincere condolences to you and the family on your loss.
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/