News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Running like crap... not sure of the issue?

Started by LI_DSM, April 15, 2011, 08:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI_DSM

Now that the better weather is coming and I have alittle more time with school being almost finished I decided to start messing with the car again.

Anyway background on the car. The motor is out of a 72 new yorker and I know its not rated at great power but it feels like the car falls flat on its face after shifting out of the low gear (1). I'm not sure if this would be engine or tranny related? I have noticed that I need to give it alittle throttle in reverse because it slips a bit but 1st feels fine however when I bump it to 2nd and drive it just feels like it loses all of its power but not like it is slipping it the gears.

Anyone know where I should start to diagnose the problem? I have a new set of plugs and wires and basic tune up parts. The motor is basically stock besides a 770 Holley Carb.

Thank You in advance for any help.

greenpigs

How is the fluid in the transmission?

How about checking too be sure your throttle is opening all the way?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

charger Downunder

If its an auto check that you have the kickdown adjusted properly.
[/quote]

LI_DSM

Quote from: greenpigs on April 15, 2011, 11:59:12 PM
How is the fluid in the transmission?

How about checking too be sure your throttle is opening all the way?

throttle is opening all the way. Fluid seems ok from the dipstick color. I haven't drained the tranny yet.

Quote from: charger Downunder on April 16, 2011, 12:09:27 AM
If its an auto check that you have the kickdown adjusted properly.

Its an auto. The kickdown would do this even shifting manually? The only reason I shifted manual was to check if it slipped in any gears but It responded really well in first but second gear felt like a slug and so did drive. And even if the kickdown was off wouldn't the power come eventually?

LI_DSM

I also should mention the shifts are very sloppy. I'm not sure if this is due to the factory shifter or something else?

I'm just brainstorming ideas right now before I actually get into the car this week.

greenpigs

Exactly what is wrong I don't know but it sounds like your transmission or tourque converter is in need of a rebuild.

If the motor is running well in 1st gear then the only thing left is the transmission as the motor will not crap out just because of a gear change.

If your lucky Kunkle will answer
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free