News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel sending unit

Started by smerritt, April 19, 2011, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smerritt

I am looking at fuel sending units for my '69 R/T. Vans Auto has them for $50.00 whereas other
vendors are in the $100.00-$130.00 range. Anybody have any experience with Vans sending units?
Are they cheaper because they are foreign made?  Thanks!

Kern Dog

I wonder if ALL of the reproduction senders are crap. In 2001 I paid through the ass for a 3/8 sender for my Charger. It never reads full even if I spilled gas from overfilling. It reads 1/4 with a half tank of fuel. It sits on the E line with 4 gallons. This is NOT acceptable.
If at all possible, use a decent original unit OR continue to ask around about units that get good reviews. I have considered taking a good original with the 5/16" nipple and converting it to 3/8".

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 21, 2011, 01:58:51 AM
I wonder if ALL of the reproduction senders are crap. In 2001 I paid through the ass for a 3/8 sender for my Charger. It never reads full even if I spilled gas from overfilling. It reads 1/4 with a half tank of fuel. It sits on the E line with 4 gallons. This is NOT acceptable.
If at all possible, use a decent original unit OR continue to ask around about units that get good reviews. I have considered taking a good original with the 5/16" nipple and converting it to 3/8".
Been there done that.  We did a thread on that.  I ended up bending my rod and it now reads full.  It's not perfect but it works much much better than the 1/4 reading I was getting.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57971.0.html

" Finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The trick was not bending the tube, but bending the float arm so it doesn't have to travel as high.   

I did bend the tube, but I had to bend it back as it wouldn't mount up correct, so I did a little float rod bend and wammo!!!!!!! "

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.