News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger gear box

Started by randy73, April 10, 2011, 07:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

How do you remove the steering gearbox?

Service manual hints at it, but is not specific.

Looks like 3 bolts and the 2 hoses, but what else has to be taken off to get it out?

Nacho-RT74

3 bolts, hoses, pitman arm, and steering shaft.

quite often the nuts attached to K frame become loose and will need a rachet/socket/extension to get it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

67tbird

I pulled the starter and left pitman attached on my 72 318(I was replacing both the box and pitman). drive out roll pin in steering coupler I pulled steering column and slid it onto seat, 2 nuts holding shaft to dash and I think two nuts securing column to floor. I was working by myself, you might not need to do that if you have help.

ralley72

I just replaced the steering gear on my 73 Charger SE with 400 ci. Its alot of work.
First thing to do is disconnect your battery and remove. You will need to remove the steering column, there are 3 bolts to the firewall, 3 bolts to the dash, watch for ground wire to column, disconnect wiring plugs, should be 3. drive split sleeve or roll pin out with 1/4" flat bottom shaft,( I use an old router bit) pull column back as far as you can into cabin. You can remove pressure line and return from the gear. I left the control valve body on until the gear was removed.Don't loose that spring in the control valve. Use pitman arm puller to remove arm, ( best to replace arm with new since you have it off.) 3 bolts hold gear to K-frame and 1 is very hard to remove. ( the one closes to the tire.) My car has headers so I had to drain the antifreeze and remove the header at the same time remove the gear. I also loosened the motor mounts and jack the engine up as far as I could for more room. A small block car will be alot easier than the big block car, but still a job to do. I picked up new rebuilt gear from Auto-Zone for around $ 130.00 with core and pitman arm from $ 85.00. If you need more help I can PM you my phone number.

Good luck

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Nacho-RT74

WOW GUYS!!! I never get same "problems" than you

maybe because 74s are a little bit easier ? dunno
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

randy73

This what I had to do -

1) remove 3 bolts connecting steering column to the floor and 4 bolts connecting column to the dash frame.

2) remove exhaust manifold, it sits about an 1 1/2' above the gear box on a 340.

3) removed battery and tray, as this is the only way to get it out of a 73 charger, k-frame blocks it from coming out underneath.

4) removed PS Pump, might not have to, but I was replacing it anyway and hoses.

5) drive pin out of steering column and pry off, was real easy as old gearbox leaked fluid all over it.

6) removed pitman arm, mine was already off and again you probably could leave it on.

7) Pulled up on rear and it came right out, though I do suggest putting something in the port opening so fluid does not leak out all over.

randy73

How do you get the 3rd bolt in, the one by itself?

I cannot seem to get that bolt in or when I do the bolts seem to bind up, also I cannot get the box flush with the frame and the bolt holes at the same time.

ralley72

Yes i had a hard time with that bolt also. What I did was installed the 2 bolts on the engine side, leaving them loose. Stuck the outer one as close as I could and moved to gear around until it started. Tightened it down first and then the outher 2 next. Just keep adjusting the gear and it will start.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp