News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ZZDP/Z-Alt

Started by smerritt, April 13, 2011, 10:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smerritt

Has anyone tried ZZDP and/or Z-Alt in their engines? Do they live up to the hype in their advertisements?

Thanks!! :icon_smile_question:

resq302

Ive used it (ZDDP).  A guy in my AACA club swears by it.  All I know is that I haven't had any issues using it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

68X426

:Twocents: Nothing wrong with Z Alt except the price. Way cheaper to use Valvoline VR1 and a few ounces of Lucas Break-In Oil Zinc Plus. Of course buying them both on sale helps, comes out to $3.50 total versus $8.00 for Z Alt. Is Z Alt ever on sale?

Specifically 5.5 ounces of Lucas per quart of VR1 makes for 1800 ppm zinc and 900 ppm phosphorus. This is based on data readily available from Lucas and Valvoline and calculated by a petro-chem engineer buddy. Everything I have read says those are the optimum levels, so that's what I run.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

metallicareload99

I need to change my flat tappet cammed 440's oil and I'm looking for a zinc/sulphate ZDDP supplement.  I used my last bottle of GM EOS.  Does anyone know of any other alternatives to EOS?  Is this STP stuff any good?

http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additives/oil-treatment/

I also found Comp Cams Break-In Oil:
http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Lubricants'-1.aspx

I was thinking if I ran a quart or two of the break-in oil with regular oil then I would be ok?  Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

histoy

Rislone now sells their product with the zinc additive.  It comes in quarts and is available at Advanced Auto Parts.

Musicman

The trick with Z-Alt is their use of Moly... a known product older than dirt. Moly was available in most $$$ oils way back when, but it finally disappeared from the market sometime back in the late 70's or early 80's. Most folks wouldn't buy it and use it back then for the simple fact that it was dark in color, making it impossible for them to tell when it was time to change their oil??? Yes, believe it or not, average Joe didn't change his oil way back then unless it was Black and Gritty. Moly additives do seem to be coming back to the shelves these days however with all of the recent issues with modern oils. I see that Z-Alt even has their own version now called Z-Alt 10X, intended for use with your favorite oil.

I've always used Moly in my engines... it has saved my @$$ and my engines on more than one occasion.

resq302

Quote from: histoy on April 18, 2011, 08:24:36 AM
Rislone now sells their product with the zinc additive.  It comes in quarts and is available at Advanced Auto Parts.

I just saw that yesterday.  Has anyone tried this out?  Looks to be a cheaper alternative than the $10/ 8 oz. bottle of ZDDP.  The Rislone zinc additive is something like $8 for the quart.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

metallicareload99

Rislone now sells their product with the zinc additive.  It comes in quarts and is available at Advanced Auto Parts.

Thanks, but we don't have Advanced Auto Parts in Alaska.  Any one try this:

http://www.cam-shield.com/

no318

Quote from: metallicareload99 on April 18, 2011, 10:32:07 PM
Rislone now sells their product with the zinc additive.  It comes in quarts and is available at Advanced Auto Parts.

Thanks, but we don't have Advanced Auto Parts in Alaska.  Any one try this:

http://www.cam-shield.com/
I have used it.  My machine shop recommends (ie. sells) it.  No problems, but maybe too early to tell.  I have used it on 3-4 new engines over +/-2 years.  None have very many miles on them.

Ghoste

I've been using the Joe Gibbs stuff in my engine.  It isn't cheap either but so far it's cheaper than wiping a cam lobe so I can't complain.  I don't know how widely it's available though.

charger2fast4u

I run castrol oil and add zzdp got a case of it from eastwood 1 bottle of ZZDP to 5 quarts of oil It isn't the cheapest oil change but it keeps my engine safe it don't help that my engine leaks oil to

69rtse4spd

I run Valvoline & a blue bottel of STP, (asked Mike of Muscle Motors at the Nat's. on year) that's what they use. Then again got 6-8 quarts of 30 weight Valvoline in the old paper cans sitting in the cabinet. Not had any issues yet, knock on wood.

metallicareload99

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on April 20, 2011, 07:22:09 PM
I run Valvoline & a blue bottel of STP, (asked Mike of Muscle Motors at the Nat's. on year) that's what they use. Then again got 6-8 quarts of 30 weight Valvoline in the old paper cans sitting in the cabinet. Not had any issues yet, knock on wood.

That's good to hear, as the STP is easy to find.  How many miles so far?

Chryco Psycho

I have been using Z Alt , it is working for me , we had a break in problem & had to shut down early , the cam was fine

metallicareload99

I found a bottle of GM EOS, does anyone know if the formula has changed, is it still good for flat tappet cams?

Back N Black

Quote from: metallicareload99 on May 11, 2011, 02:44:23 AM
I found a bottle of GM EOS, does anyone know if the formula has changed, is it still good for flat tappet cams?

I use the GM EOS, no problems.  :2thumbs:

metallicareload99

Quote from: Back N Black on May 11, 2011, 03:15:27 PM
I use the GM EOS, no problems.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the info, I just changed my oil.  I paid about $21 for the EOS