News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Truck caps

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, April 13, 2011, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Hey guys,
               wanted to get some input from you,whoever has or had fiberglass caps on their trucks.My truck is an 04 Ram 1500 QC and I currently have a hard tri-fold cover that locks,it is perfectly weather proof,love having it on there for security,especially going to Carlisle.The only draw back I have encountered with it is you have only to the rails for your storage(if you want the cover closed and locked).
This is why I have been debating taking it off and getting a cap(the usual fiberglass,tinted side and back window,and painted to match the truck of course).My thinking is you would get alot more storage,but on the down side,to me,they seem very easy to get into,just break a window and you're in.My hard cover on there now actually would be hard to get into as it is aluminum and double layered,plus also incorperated a tail gate lock to,so you can't even open the gate unless you unlock the top and open it first.
Also,NTM,it can now be used as a sleeping source if you go camping,and the reason for that train of thought is my sister-in-law has two boys,she is a single mom and actually does alot of boy things with them,even camping,but they have been edging me into going with them,so the couple hundred bucks I would be dropping for some form of tent,could be applied into a truck cap.I know,trying to justify it!!LOL.
So,looking for some input as great idea???Don't do it???? Used???Brand new????Stay away from what brands,etc,etc???

From what I know,if you buy a new one,most will paint- to- match your trucks paint code,if I found a nice used one,chances are it will not be my trucks color,and would have to paint,and that would probably run me $300.00 just in the paint.
Anyway,thanks,and look forward to some opinions and ideas.

1970Moparmann

There are many places that sell used caps.  If your willing to drive a little, you can probably get one your color for a dirt cheap price.   The kicker is, spend the time looking.  If you go new, your going to pay for it.    I have always had A.R.E. and feel they put out the best quality.  Looked and Leer also, and it would be my second choice. 

You definitely would get more versatility with a cap.   Like you said, tint the hell out of the windows for extra safety if need be.  Someone will get into it if they want to hard enough.   The only other option would be to get a Commercial type grade.  One that power companies and tradesman use.  These typically don't have windows and have better locks.

Good luck. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks,got some pricing on A.R.E,not bad at all, brand new $1,100.00 factory painted the color of my truck,installed.WTF,the hard cover on it now was $900.00.

nvrbdn

i took my hard cover off my small truck and put a cap on it. got it off craigs list for 150.00 a 2007 leer without a scratch on it. hit the jackpot on that one. i did it cuz we camp all the time but we have a permanent spot and am tired of driving the 3/4 ton quad cab gas sucker when i can now take the small gas saver truck and the dogs can ride in back with the shall on :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House