News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast 5 charger

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, April 09, 2011, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

car no longer wears a blower,personally i will always favour the car from the first movie

Behind Fast Five | Dom's Charger | 900 Horses of Detroit Muscle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIxiUHMJpk

Behind Fast Five | Re-Igniting Dom's Charger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYGBpgtekLA

and on a side note me with the 2011 charger at the vancouver international auto show last week, which will also be in the new flick

WB General Lee

Car looks sweet. My friend owns two originals. I spoke with Dennis McCarthy a month ago, super guy and he also built the Green Hornet cars.

THE CHARGER PUNK

thats sick dude? 2 originals as in from the 1st movie?

Mikesmoparperformance

AWESOME!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: I can't wait'!! Thanks for the youtube links!! :2thumbs:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Mike DC

2nd video - 2/3rds of the way through it - is that an RMS K-frame he's pointing out on that car? 

Not to diss the RMS setup but I don't see how that could possibly be any more durable on rough roads than the stock front end.  The factory gave it a bunch of big soft rubber bushings, heavy steel moving arms, long wheel travel, etc.

jaak

"Turbo 400 transmission"..... Chevy drivetrain  :eek2: I don't get tore up like most on here about chargers in movies, but please leave the mopar drivetrain.

Jason

WB General Lee

He has one from the 5th movie and not sure what the second car is. The one car is in bad shape but the second is pretty good. From what I understand most cars had Chevy motors but others had Mopar motors.

sixty8charger

Chevy motors/drivetrain in Mopar ...  that is just not right... not right at all :rotz:
Jayson

sixty8charger

What do they do with all the parts they strip out of the Chargers they buy????!!!
Jayson

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: sixty8charger on April 10, 2011, 02:12:51 PM
What do they do with all the parts they strip out of the Chargers they buy????!!!

Use them for later projects I Thinking They know what the parts are worth.
MOPAR OR NO CAR

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: sixty8charger on April 10, 2011, 02:12:21 PM
Chevy motors/drivetrain in Mopar ...  that is just not right... not right at all :rotz:

:iagree:  :rotz:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

Cooperman

Quote from: sixty8charger on April 10, 2011, 02:12:21 PM
Chevy motors/drivetrain in Mopar ...  that is just not right... not right at all :rotz:

I heard they had the Trifecta... Ford 9in axles too!  :-\
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Brock Samson

didn't you post the last couple posts on these chargers?..  :shruggy:

THE CHARGER PUNK

TruckDriver

Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on April 10, 2011, 02:16:13 PM

That's pretty much what he says in the second video. They know the parts are rare. It's good to know anyway they start out with cars from the junk yards.  :yesnod: Made me feel better about the cars they destroy. Kinda like they did in the Dukes movie.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mike DC

The GM drivetrains aren't about performance, they're about practicality.  

Those crews are trying to maintain hundreds of different types of cars.  They're frequently shooting in foreign countries.  They get minutes or hours to repair things.  It's better to have standardized cars than faster cars.  

WB General Lee

A good thing about the General Lee is that they were Mopar powered. I wonder why they didn't use GM powerplants for those?

mikesbbody

Probably because back in the day, there was more mopar stuff not so much nowdays I wonder why... ::)

Mike DC

Dennis McCarthy's outfit does the GM powerplants in everything.  The DOH movie wasn't his deal.  The DOH producers basically did their own thing down in Louisiana for that gig.  

My offhand guess about the 2005 GLs would be the fact that they were running so many of them at once.  And it was such a large portion of the total stunt footage with that one car.  And they also shot that whole movie in the deep American South where Charger parts are still reasonably attainable.    

Whereas in the "Furious" movies there might be 50+ American cars getting major screen stunt time, in a foreign country, and only 5-6 of them are vintage Chargers.  They were putting those GM drivetrains in the Fords & Buicks & other stuff too.  

---------------------------------

As for the original DOH television series - that was before it was any trouble to just stock up on extra cars and keep them standing by.  And the local parts store had plenty of 70s Mopar parts in those days.  

Kern Dog

Ahhhhh... The good old days.

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: TruckDriver on April 10, 2011, 04:22:58 PM
Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on April 10, 2011, 02:16:13 PM

That's pretty much what he says in the second video. They know the parts are rare. It's good to know anyway they start out with cars from the junk yards.  :yesnod: Made me feel better about the cars they destroy. Kinda like they did in the Dukes movie.

:iagree: That is way better to look for a car in the junk yard then to use good chargers! I hoop that they used Junk Chargers where no R/T ones  if so that would be a shame  :rotz: But I Think they know that!

To bad they used a Ford axel I didn't know that  you could bolt that on a charger :o
MOPAR OR NO CAR

Brock Lee

The old Dukes TV show also had an almost endless supply of police cars to harvest engines and engine parts from.

Mike DC

QuoteThat is way better to look for a car in the junk yard then to use good chargers! I hoop that they used Junk Chargers where no R/T ones  if so that would be a shame  rotz But I Think they know that!

To bad they used a Ford axel I didn't know that  you could bolt that on a charger

The Ford 9" axlehousings were probably ordered in custom widths from the aftermarket just for each car being used.  Custom parts are cheap compared to the price of delaying filming because they can't fix a car quickly.  The center pig & aftermarket brakes would still be interchangeable from car to car.

Unfortunately the crews don't really hesitate to wreck R/Ts from what I've heard.  A raggedy R/T shell usually does not cost much over the price of a 318/383 in the big picture.  

Their priorites when they buy the cars are quick purchases first, price second, collectibility third.  But collectibility and price tend to go hand-in-hand so that usually avoids the worst wastes of classic iron.  I wouldn't lose much sleep over worrying that Hollywood might wreck a factory Hemi car or factory Daytona.  They might not haggle over the last $1000 when buying a car, but they sure know the difference when a VIN makes it worth $50-100K extra.   

Black and Blown

thanks for the youtube links

hemi-hampton

We got one of the newer Chargers at the shop I work at. I took it for a spin after working on it. It's got a 6.4 Hemi. 3 big bottles of Nitrous where passenger seat goes. Got a funky roll bar welded to the outside around back 1/4's & trunk. I said what the heck is the heavy duty 16 ton Wench doing in Trunk. Nobody knew since movie is not out yet. I see in the new youtube Trailer they use the wench to pull a Vault out a building & down the street. This car will be at the New York Auto show next week. LEON,

GL#10

QuoteInsert Quote
We got one of the newer Chargers at the shop I work at. I took it for a spin after working on it. It's got a 6.4 Hemi. 3 big bottles of Nitrous where passenger seat goes. Got a funky roll bar welded to the outside around back 1/4's & trunk. I said what the heck is the heavy duty 16 ton Wench doing in Trunk. Nobody knew since movie is not out yet. I see in the new youtube Trailer they use the wench to pull a Vault out a building & down the street. This car will be at the New York Auto show next week. LEON,

Did you get any pictures of this charger ???

K.c

hemi-hampton

Yes I did. Got Pics of the Mopars from Dilema movie also.  LEON.

hemi-hampton

KC, Here's a Pic of me Driving Vin Diesels Charger from the Fast Five movie. Car is loud. LEON.

morepower

interesting video's. I cringe when they destroy one. But I think well it was just sitting. and this movie just made some kid want a charger. and maybe when im 90 yrs old and cant drive. he'll wanna buy mine!
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

hemi-hampton

Here's the heavy duty roll bar built into the back of the car, They used this car to pull the Vault down the street. LEON.

GL#10

hemi-hampton

Thanks for posting the pics! , very cool  !!.

K.c