News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 SE engine area pics needed

Started by purplechargerguy, April 06, 2011, 09:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplechargerguy

I have a 73 SE with the 400 CID engine.  I would really like to see some pics of the engine compartment so I can see how things are arranged.  Heater valve control... wiring harness routes... Washer bottle hose routing...etc etc.  Any help would be appreciated.
73 Charger SE  WP29M3A227291

twinscrew698

This is not mine but a pic i had on my Computer!
Of Course this one does not have a Heater control valve on it!

twinscrew698

twinscrew698

And another!

Nacho-RT74

second one is from a survivor, and I think is the best example... he is member around here
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

purplechargerguy

Thanks for the pics. That helps quite a bit.  Believe it or not I was driving around in a town about 40 miles away and found a one owner 73 SE with the 400.  I am thinking I can visit with him and get some real good information just from taking a look when I need to.  He still remembers the day he bought it. the dealer tried hard to talk him into a 318 and he really wanted the 440.  He wound up compromising and settled for the 400 and still regrets the decision today.  I asked about buying it but he is using that as his retirement project.  A drunk driver came around the corner and caved in the drivers side front bumper and quarter so he wants to get that fixed. He just had back surgery and is about 65 yrs old but has all the parts sitting in his garage waiting for him.  I offered to help him when the time comes to start working on it so we will see what happens.

chargerjy9

yes the 2nd photo is my car. it is a survivor, but those in the know may realize that the heater control valve on my car is from either late 73 or 74. When I bought it,it had the orig htr cntrl valve which was made of bakelite, it leaked, had to be replaced, the part was hard to find and expensive and the reason it was changed out from the factory mid year was because of that reason. my car is no trailer queen, I drive it so it must be reliable, hence the updated (incorrect} part. I bought the car in 2003 with 2,765 miles now it has @17K on it.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

chargerjy9

here is a better  engine bay shot of my survivor
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

purplechargerguy

I wish my engine area was anywhere near that clean.  I had a fuel line crack on me and wound up having a pretty good little fire under the hood.  Fortunately I was at a gas station and the guy working there had a fire extinguisher handy.  As it was I lost all of the hood insulation and about a dozen wires burnt completely bare.  I was able to wrap all the wires in black tape good enough to get it back home but now nearly all of my wires are the same color and size. It burnt the hoses to the heater and AC and ruined the AC compressor so now that is gone.  All in all I got a heck of a mess under the hood but it does run when I turn the key. Every time I open the hood just feel totally overwhelmed and wind up closing the hood LOL. One of these days though I am going to actually get it re-wired.  Thanks for the pics it gives me a good starting point to go on.