News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two questions about this Charger website

Started by bull, April 06, 2011, 12:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Question 1. Do you agree with this list of the top ten most commonly missed 2nd gen restoration details?
http://www.chargerpartsplus.com/Restoration-Tip-2-Ten-Commonly-Missed-Restoration-Details-on-1968-70-B-body-Models-W3.aspx

1.  Under-Hood Insulation Pads Mounted Incorrectly:
The fuzzy, loose fiber side should face downward toward the engine bay. The smooth finished side should mount against the hood. This pad should be mounted with steel hood pad clips. Plastic clips were not used on B-body models until 1972.

2.  Incorrect Rear-view Mirror Mounting Stem:
1968-69 B-body models inside rear-view mirror used a long rectangular mounting stem. 1970 B-body models used a shorter, round mounting stem. This difference can easily be seen when standing in front of the car and facing the windshield.

3.  Incorrect Chrome Door Handle Push-Buttons:
Early 1969 B-body models, with a build date before January 1, 1969, should have black plastic door handle push-buttons. Cars built after that date, should have chrome push-buttons. All other 1968 and 1970 B-body models should have chrome push-buttons regardless of their build date.

4.  Incorrect 1968-70 Charger Tail Light Lenses:
There are at least three different tail light lenses that were used on 1969-70 Dodge Chargers.  All lenses will bolt up to both years, but there are subtle differences in all three lenses.
1969 Chargers use only one style tail light lens. It is solid red with a silver-painted pin stripe along its lower, inside edge. This lens also has a bright chrome bezel surround.    
1970 Chargers used two different styles tail light lenses depending on their model designation. The first lens style was used on the base model (VIN beginning with the letters XH). It looks almost identical to the 1969 lens with the silver pinstripe with the exception of a rectangular shaped red reflector mounted horizontally in the center of the lens face. (New safety mandates for 1970 required that all 1970 models have rearward facing reflectors for better visibility at night) The second style 1970 tail light lens was used only on the 500 and R/T models. It looks like the first 1970 style but does not have the silver painted pin stripe. This lens is pin-stripe delete because 500 and R/T models used an aluminum bezel that ran the entire length of the tail light panel. The area of this bezel that fits around the tail light lens, is painted black, so silver accent pinstripes were not needed.

5.  Incorrect Upper Door Panel Pads:
1970 Charger's  with a beginning VIN of XH (Special Value Package), did not have padded upper front and rear door panel pads like other 68-70 Chargers. They had exposed metal upper door frame that were painted body color, like all other B-body models. The XH package also came with a standard front bench seat and a blank bulls-eye where a clock or tic-toc tachometer would normally be located in the instrument cluster.

6.  Backward-Facing Washer Jar Lid:
All 1968-70 B-body model washer bottle jars should have a black lid that opens with the lid falling towards the firewall. Some reproduction jars are made incorrectly, with the cap opening and falling toward the core support. Also the black plastic cap should be smooth with no words or lettering.

7.  Incorrect 1968 B-body Dashes:
1968 B-body dashes have some very unique features. The upper dash pad, itself, is pointed along its rearward facing edge just over the heater and A/C controls. 1969-70 dashes are straight from end to end.  1968 heater and A/C controls have black push-buttons without lettering. Their lettering is located on the chrome bezel above the buttons. 1969-70 B-body models have their lettering on the push-buttons themselves. The dash ashtray, on early 1968 B-body models, opened by sliding the door downward on 4 roller bearings.  This caused a problem because owners were used to pulling dashes open, not sliding them downward causing the soft vinyl door padding to be damaged. Later built 1968 and all 1969-70 B body models had ashtrays that pivoted outward, when pulled, and were hinged at the bottom.

8.  Incorrect Console and Shifter Combinations:
1968 consoles used all-chrome door and top bezels. 1969 and 1970 models used a combination of chrome and woodgrain top bezels. All 1968 and some early 1969 models with an automatic transmission and floor console used an all chrome shift knob. Later built 1969 and all 1970 models used a woodgrain knob.

9.  Incorrectly Mounted Ballast Resistors:
The ballast resistor mounts with a yellow Zinc plated bracket. There are two holes in this bracket. The first hole is where the silver zinc plated mounting bolt is located. The second hole in the bracket is there to fit the raised "bump" in the firewall. This "bump" keeps the ballast from moving side to side.

10.  Incorrect 1968-70 Trunk Lid Styles:
The 1968-70 Charger used three different style trunk lids. They all look the same on top but are different underneath. The early 1968 style has a separate skin and frame with openings around the frame ribs that show the exposed top panel. Later 1968 and 1969 models have a frame structure that is solid underneath. No top panel skin can be seen. Most 1970 trunk lids have cut-out openings for Go-Wing Spoiler mounting brackets. This '70 style trunk lid should never be seen on 1968-69 Chargers.

bull

Question 2. Have you ever purchased something from the site where the top ten list came from? Are they ok?

http://www.chargerpartsplus.com/Default.aspx

As far as the list above, at a glance I think I disagree with item #3 and #5. My early 68 Charger door handles have black buttoms and my XH VIN '70 Charger did not have body colored upper door paint.

DC_1

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2011, 12:57:27 PM
Question 2. Have you ever purchased something from the site where the top ten list came from? Are they ok?

As far as the list above, at a glance I think I disagree with item #3 and #5. My early 68 Charger door handles have black buttoms and my XH VIN '70 Charger did not have body colored upper door paint.

I agree with you. I always believed the black buttons where a 68 and early build 69 thing. Also, I was always under the impression the XH upper door exposed area was painted interior colour.

The rest in the list I agree with.

DC_1

I think I have bought stuff from them at the Nationals in Columbus but never order anything or had parts shipped from them.

resq302

Quote from: Sydmoe on April 06, 2011, 01:05:04 PM

I agree with you. I always believed the black buttons where a 68 and early build 69 thing. Also, I was always under the impression the XH upper door exposed area was painted interior colour.

The rest in the list I agree with.

I agree that the black door handle button was black in 68 and early 69.  However,  I have to agree with them on the steel painted upper door area on the base model 70 charger.  I seem to remember reading that somewhere before too but not on that site.

Everything else that they had I have to agree with.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Nacho-RT74

he has been selling on ebay since long time ago

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chargerxx29/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

I got from him couple of stuff, no probs at all
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Quote from: resq302 on April 06, 2011, 01:15:11 PM
I agree that the black door handle button was black in 68 and early 69.  However,  I have to agree with them on the steel painted upper door area on the base model 70 charger.  I seem to remember reading that somewhere before too but not on that site.

Everything else that they had I have to agree with.

My XH '70 looked almost identical to your '69, red paint, white vinyl top and interior. The upper door paint matched the door panel color (white), not the red body.

Troy

The most glaring mistake to me is incorrectly painted lower interior door. Most of those other items are pretty nitpicky *and "normal" people (ie. not Mopar "experts") may not even notice*. Perhaps this is why they are commonly incorrect on "restorations". However, the door paint and black engine bays are the most noticeable "common" mistakes (and harder to fix than all that bolt-on stuff).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Troy on April 06, 2011, 01:59:03 PM
The most glaring mistake to me is incorrectly painted lower interior door. Most of those other items are pretty nitpicky *and "normal" people (ie. not Mopar "experts") may not even notice*. Perhaps this is why they are commonly incorrect on "restorations". However, the door paint and black engine bays are the most noticeable "common" mistakes (and harder to fix than all that bolt-on stuff).

Troy

I agree with you on the black engine comps. It's a very distinct Mopar thing to have the body colored engine comps and it bugs me to see any of them getting the Ford/Chevy treatment.

What lower interior door mistake are you referring to?

six-tee-nine

This list proves I'm still a moron about Chargers.......
I knew very few things of that I knew about the door knobs and taillights but alot of other stuff were new to me.
However I will add this page to my favourites because I need to buy some parts that are on this list and hopefully that can guide me to buy the correct parts.

On the other side i was surprised that you did'nt mention the location of the door lock knobs....... I've seen 68 cars with 69 doors and vice versa or even worse with 2 different doors.......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

nvrbdn

the metal upper door pads were painted interior color. and 68 door buttons were black. im in agreement with the masses. except im kinda in the thinking that the pair i have for the rear upper door area are from a 68 charger :shruggy: correct me if im wrong, i had 2 68's that i sold,but ended up having several pieces left over from and i thought these were part of that stuff.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

DC_1

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2011, 02:02:26 PM

I'm going to take a guess he is referring to the inside bottom of the door, under the door panel,  being painted the incorrect colour.

Common mistake for non mopar resto shops is to paint it body colour not interior colour.

Troy

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2011, 02:02:26 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 06, 2011, 01:59:03 PM

Troy

I agree with you on the black engine comps. It's a very distinct Mopar thing to have the body colored engine comps and it bugs me to see any of them getting the Ford/Chevy treatment.

Leaving them painted the same as the exterior color instead of painting the inner door to match the color of the interior. It leaves a 3" body colored stripe along the lower edge of the door that looks incredibly out of place when the door is closed (since the kick panel, carpet, and door panels generally match the seat color). It's real obvious on GLs because the colors (orange and tan) contrast so much. Anything with a white interior also makes this one stick out like a sore thumb - unless your exterior is black which would make it match the carpet and kick panels.

A couple more along this same line is forgetting to black out the tail panel, rocker panel pinch welds, or radiator support.

Quote from: six-tee-nine on April 06, 2011, 02:04:28 PM
On the other side i was surprised that you did'nt mention the location of the door lock knobs....... I've seen 68 cars with 69 doors and vice versa or even worse with 2 different doors.......
Well, if you've got the right doors it's very hard to put the lock knobs in the wrong location - and if you had one of each it should cause you to pause and ask questions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chris G.

'70 XH Charger interior.

Black carpet with K4...hmmm.  :scope:

UFO

Quote from: Chris G. on April 06, 2011, 04:05:42 PM
'70 XH Charger interior.

Black carpet with K4...hmmm.  :scope:

Without looking thru the books but was a XH car even available with a 4 spd?
Weren't those models slant 6 or 318 only?
As for the black carpet,I'm thinking it's a 4spd thing.

Cooter

Back in the day, if you had the money, you could buy anything you wanted...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chris G.

Quote from: UFO on April 06, 2011, 06:07:07 PM

383's were plentiful with the XH cars. Getting a 4spd was also an option. Not many, but still available.

Books? www.1970chargerregistry.com  :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Does that 70 4 gear car have really faded black carpet or a rubber mat?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

I like black engine bays personally even if it's not correct. It breaks up the color and ads a bit of contrast. Body colored engine bays don't look as tidy either in my opinion... A while back we looked at an orange super bee, orange engine bay, orange engine, too much orange.... :Twocents:  

bull

I had an XH 383.

I have a question though about white interiors. That K4 '70 up there has the orange dash pads, steering wheel, etc., but my white interior XH had an all black dash with white seats, headliner and door panels. So if they were going to be consistant with the white, wouldn't thay have white dash pads, white kick panels, white steering wheel and column, etc.?

jaak

I'm glad you put down #1.... I put on my hood insulation tonight, thought that was the way it went! (Even though I used the incorrect plastic clips that came with it.)

Jason

69CoronetRT

I agree with you. #3 is not a hard and fast rule. There is a transition period from black to chrome but it would depend on inventory and plant; not the calendar.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

A383Wing

well, in 66, the lower inside door was painted outside body color...not sure about any years after that

472 R/T SE

'70 XH Charger interior.

Black carpet with K4...hmmm.  :scope:

As for the black carpet,I'm thinking it's a 4spd thing.  Yes

TX9H6E4CUDA

I would like to add one to the list please..............cars with non blacked out core supports. Its not a personal preference, chrysler did it for a reason.
For the best powder coating talk to Larry at JIT Powder Coating. Absolutely amazing service, awesome quality,amazing attention to detail. Give Larry a call at 651-463-4664
Thanks again Larry