News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best air compressor under $1K

Started by AirborneSilva, April 06, 2011, 12:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Patronus on April 10, 2011, 09:40:52 AM
Probably. I would look on craigslist too, you'll get more for your $$

Yeah I do look occasionally.  Thanks....

DW

I'll give a +1 to Eaton.  I bought this compressor about 4-5 years ago.  I know it's twice your budget, but if you can wait long enough to save up, it'll be well worth it.  Plus if you can't, I thought I'd post this anyway in case there are others looking for one in this price range.  I always like to get a first hand review from someone who's actually used the item I'm thinking about.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/1710568.htm

I have used DA's, air hammers, grinders, etc., and never run low on air.  As elitecustombody mentions, it runs at half the RPM that most other compressors do, which is important for me because I have neighbors close.  None of them have had any problems.  The compressor motor is huge compared to IR, Husky, even the Quincy and Champions.  When I first start it up, it only takes about 4 minutes to completely fill.  And it doesn't have to run much to keep me supplied, even with the DA.  The only thing I haven't done with it is spray paint, but I know it can handle it.  It also comes with an automatic drain valve which is pretty handy.

As long as I take care of it, I expect this will probably be the last compressor I'll buy.  If you read the specs on the motor, it's rebuildable, so if I ever do run it long enough to wear it out, I'll probably just rebuild it and go on.  Although this thing is built like a tank, it'll probably last longer than me.

Here's a pic of mine, they used to have a red, white and blue paint option.  :laugh:
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

Troy

I have an Eaton compressor as well. It doesn't hurt that they are only a short drive from me. I had a starting problem a while back and they threw some parts in the car and drove over to fix it. Turned out to be a bad capacitor and everything has been awesome since. It's single phase motor, 80 gallon tank, with the continuous run feature and I got it on sale (but I had to take whatever color they had which happened to be gray). I've always had it in my work area (not hidden or remotely located) and you really can talk over it. We had a Craftsman when I stored the cars in the hangar and it was too loud even when it was three hangars over! Plus it would heat up and blow water through the lines in less than 10 minutes of hard use. No problems with the Eaton until it's been running for an hour or so (I didn't have the water separator hooked up for a long time because I didn't need it).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

AirborneSilva

Thanks DW, and the rest of you.  The guy who was going to buy my 69 backed out on me so I'm looking for another buyer.  I will definitely keep the eaton in mind.

elitecustombody

Quote from: DW on April 26, 2011, 03:02:47 PM
I'll give a +1 to Eaton.  I bought this compressor about 4-5 years ago.  I know it's twice your budget, but if you can wait long enough to save up, it'll be well worth it.  Plus if you can't, I thought I'd post this anyway in case there are others looking for one in this price range.  I always like to get a first hand review from someone who's actually used the item I'm thinking about.

I have used DA's, air hammers, grinders, etc., and never run low on air.  As elitecustombody mentions, it runs at half the RPM that most other compressors do, which is important for me because I have neighbors close.  None of them have had any problems.  The compressor motor is huge compared to IR, Husky, even the Quincy and Champions.  When I first start it up, it only takes about 4 minutes to completely fill.  And it doesn't have to run much to keep me supplied, even with the DA.  The only thing I haven't done with it is spray paint, but I know it can handle it.  It also comes with an automatic drain valve which is pretty handy.

As long as I take care of it, I expect this will probably be the last compressor I'll buy.  If you read the specs on the motor, it's rebuildable, so if I ever do run it long enough to wear it out, I'll probably just rebuild it and go on.  Although this thing is built like a tank, it'll probably last longer than me.

Here's a pic of mine, they used to have a red, white and blue paint option.  :laugh:

They still offer custom colors, I got my 120 gal Panther Pink  :lol:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Barwell

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld TQ3104. It runs 16 CFM at 90 PSI. Was just over a grand up in Canada so probably cheaper in the US. It runs my sandblaster with no problems - it does run all the time when blasting though! Here is a link

http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/chPrd3_10051_10001_113213_-1_10646_10689_

DW

Quote from: elitecustombody on April 27, 2011, 09:48:05 PM
Quote from: DW on April 26, 2011, 03:02:47 PM

They still offer custom colors, I got my 120 gal Panther Pink  :lol:

Cool!  Post a pic!
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.