News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another brake thread

Started by Piston_Freddy, February 28, 2011, 05:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston_Freddy

Just want to be sure I got all the right parts! Car is a 68 and had drum brakes(don't know if manual or power), last owner converted to front disc brakes.

Here's the MC and booster  

SSBC

And this is how my distribution block looks like (Per's car)

I crawled under the car today and I didn't see a proportion valve on the frame rail? And whats a metering valve? Do I need that to?

So if I don't install a proportion valve, then the rear brakes will lock up first and it's impossible to do a burnout right? I sure tried tho! :lol:
Max rim size:15"

Piston_Freddy

So drum brake car has only distribution block, and disc car has distribution block, metering valve and proportioning valve? Are all those parts different from manual and power cars? 
This thing is confusing!

Cooter

Drum brake cars have a Distribution block...No valve inside. Same pressure to all wheels.
Disc  brake systems have a Proportioning valve in order to allow 75% braking in front and 25% in rear. I believe the disc valves are the same power or manual..It's the Master cylinder and calipers that are differewnt with power than manual..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Piston_Freddy

So I can use the drum distribution block? What cars had the metering valve to? I don't need it? Proportioning valve is same on manual and power brake cars?

I have no idea if the car has manual or power master cylinder?

HPP

If you've got all the parts installed by the previous owner and they all work, is there a problem you're trying to fix or are you just verifying? Just because you can't do a burnout doesn't mean there is a problem. In all actuality, that means everything is working good, very good actually. In a panic stop, are the rears locking up first? If so, that is a problem.

Master cylinder doesn't matter from power to non-power. It just takes the input. The booster minimizes the input required from the driver.

Piston_Freddy

I have no idea how the car stops, I have to wait at least a month before the snow melts. Every disc/drum car came from factory with prop valve right? Well mines missing that. Thanks for the input!

Piston_Freddy

I tried heavy braking and rear wheels lock up.Should I get a stock valve or one of them adjustable ones? Pretty hard to find a stock piece and I probably need to make a cover for the adjustable one(inspection). I dunno what to do here... :shruggy: