News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about rod bearing undersize on 69 440 with a forged crank

Started by 69RTSEV88, April 05, 2011, 08:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

Im in the process of rebuilding my 440 out of my 69 Charger R/T with a forged steel crank. It has been rebuilt before somewhere down the line but I have no idea when or who did it.  I'm trying to figure out the undersize of the rod bearing journals.  Stock should be 2.38 if Im correct and my micrometer keeps reading 2.365 on all the journals.  What bearing size do I use here?  I only see undersizes of .010, .020, .030.  The Bearings that came out are stamped as follows:  DAB  51
                                                                                                                                                                                                         7320 CAP
                                                                                                                                                                                                           6-22  L
                                                                                                                                                                                                        8-22 DA 4
I dont know if the undersize is stated in any of that info.  The main journals all mic out to 2.374 which is .010 under the factory 2.375.  I would think that the mains and rod were all cut the same .010 but I cant be sure, especially from the readings I'm getting.  So where should I go with rod bearings???
Thanks

Cooter

I'd try .010/.010 on the rods and mains,then PLASTIC Gauge ALL OF 'EM for proper oil clearance...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69RTSEV88

Thats what Im thinking, go 010/010 on both and then check.  I'm going to check with another set of mics tomorrow just to be sure anyway.  Also the numbers I posted from the old bearings were supposed to be grouped together and not spread out all over the place like they showed up here, oh well.

chargerbr549

The factory  std rod journal size should be 2.375 and 2.365 would be .010 undersize and std main size should be 2.750 and so .010 undersize should be 2.740, i'm going by memory so I hope thats correct. Also when you said the (mains mic out at 2.374 and factory is 2.375) that would be only a diffference of .001" instead .010". Hope this helps.

Kevin

Cooter

Oh yeah DUH! I didn't even see that..Might wanna either check that again, or edit your post there "69RTSEV88"..I think your mains by your post will be .001 under.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69RTSEV88

Oops, fat fingers!  I meant 2.75 on the mains and mine miced out to 2.74, .010 under.  Thanks for the help!