News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cloning a daytona

Started by sound5262, April 02, 2011, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

what would be a figure on cloning a daytona. an average cost to exspect

A383Wing

$25 to $30K total

I got $25k in mine...we did it back in the mid 90's

the last picture is what I started with

sound5262

do you use 70 fenders or can the other years work

xx29440charger

70 fenders and they need to be cut.70 Hood will work too. :yesnod:

moparstuart

i would say closer to 50k these days to do it right
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

FJ5WING

Quote from: moparstuart on April 03, 2011, 08:32:04 AM

I with Stuart....1990s dollars are long gone and the rear window treatment will include major labor hours.
wingless now, but still around.

ACUDANUT

You have to have a 70 charger to begin with...I don't know why they called them '69 Daytona's.  :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 03, 2011, 08:52:07 AM
You have to have a 70 charger to begin with...I don't know why they called them '69 Daytona's.  :shruggy:
everything is 69 on the car but the front fenders and hood , so really your better off starting with a 69
  changing out a 70 interior to a 69 would be harder in my opinion  .

A383Wing

yup...agree

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 03, 2011, 08:40:39 AM
I with Stuart....1990s dollars are long gone and the rear window treatment will include major labor hours.

yea...we were running outta money when we did ours...so the rear window didn't get done...we were on a time schedule to make the '99 Talladega meet

Charger-Bodie

I also agree. Its not a cheap endeavor.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 03, 2011, 09:53:18 AM

I also agree. Its not a cheap endeavor.
especially when you go top of the line parts and a hemi   :D  Oh yeah and start with the rust bucket poster child for AMD   

pettybird

you have 120 posts and can't use search?  or look for the 2000 other posts by people asking the same question who were also too lazy to search?

...AND, if you think I'm being an ass, there are TWO HUGE THREADS ON DAYTONA CLONES BEING BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP ON THE FIRST PAGE, including one oh-so-cryptically labeled "My official Daytona clone thread! Pictures!! IT RUNS!!!!Video!!`"

Brock Samson

Yeah but he asking a ballpark on a clone... somewhat excusable due to the questions brevity. i wouldn't want to go searching for a specific figure either.  :shruggy: Anyhows it's like the guys who go to the Gen Disc. thread and ask the vague "How much would it cost"? questions or the stand alone photoshop requests. They don't know or are unfamiliar with the sites' major continuing threads... wont read the old posts or search and want to start their own thread.  :shruggy: I think wanting their very own thread is the underlying reason behind many such threads, with some exceptions.
Personally I wouldn't concider a clone without 30K to start, of course it depends upon the individuals capabilities and resources, some guys here actually have or at least work at Auto shops and have projects and parts on hand, others, are thinking something other than their Z24 might be nice to stand out at the local car show.  :lol:

hotrod98

The cost will depend on how much of it you plan to do yourself. If you can find someone reasonable that has built one or two previously, that will be the ideal way to go. They are more complicated to build than it would appear.
Also, don't cheap out. Do your research and pony up the dollars for the good parts. You will absotively and posilutely not regret it. When I built mine I ended up buying two sets of parts. The cheap crap first and then the good stuff later.
Save time and money...go first class all the way. Have fun.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 04, 2011, 12:41:19 PM
wont read the old posts or search and want to start their own thread.  :shruggy: I think wanting their very own thread is the underlying reason behind many such threads, with some exceptions.

OK but there are 20 threads with 'ballpark' costs, and his follow-up questions are about what fenders to use.  lazy.

NYCMille

BigBlockSam

Quotepettybird

does someone need a hug  :pity:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 04, 2011, 03:45:54 PM
Quotepettybird

does someone need a hug  :pity:

I've been cranky the past few days.  Not sure why...starting to stress a little about the meet, the snow sucks and I want it to be warm...crap like that. 

I think the best answer to how much a clone costs is "more than you were hoping, thinking or planning."

70Sbird

QuoteI think the best answer to how much a clone costs is "more than you were hoping, thinking or planning."

That can be said about any automotive project!

Scott Faulkner

A383Wing

Quote from: pettybird on April 04, 2011, 03:59:58 PM

I've been cranky the past few days.  Not sure why...

need to get laid??

randr

Quote from: sound5262 on April 02, 2011, 03:56:50 PM
what would be a figure on cloning a daytona. an average cost to exspect

Will cost you way more than you think if you do it as correct as possible.  will also cost you all your free time, cost you your marriage if your wife is not understanding! Will also cost you to lose some if not all your hair! Also cost you lack of sleep!  ;D
I'm Bored! what to do next......

Aero426

Since the original poster is working on a Superbird clone,  I was kind of surprised by the question.   Having been through it once, I would think he already has an idea of what he's getting into.   I do not see a lot of cost difference doing a Bird versus a Daytona.  

DonC1

I'd do it for 30k - all steel/aluminum - to primer - you provide 70 fenders, hood and a clean car.

BigBlockSam

doing all the work yourself will save you a lot of money . i have about 15k in mine including the cost of the car and mine is done rite. aluminum wing , metal window plug and all the  parts in  the nose are metal . plus i started with a 69 charger not a 70 .,

that said, i have a ton of hours invested in the car  and some very frustrating times . At times i thought to myself "WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO "  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img