News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How long did you actively search for your Charger?

Started by Ghoste, April 02, 2011, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I wasn't even looking for my 68. I was just going through a nasty divorce so I didn't have two cents that could rub against each other in the same pocket.

I knew this kid next door to where I worked had this 68 that he would race to the end of his dead end street and back. I knew he was going to grenade that little 318 or the 3 speed tranny one day and sure enough he took out the engine.

I asked him if he wanted to sell it and he said NO. He dropped a 400 in it and never got it running, so I asked him again if he wanted to sell it and his mother said Yes telling him to sell it and get something that ran.

So we agreed on $400. They agreed that I could give him $100 down and then pay the rest out over a 4 week time frame. That was in 1986. I ran across the receipts they wrote out each week when I bought it just the other day.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

doctor4766

I had been looking for a 69 for 2-3 months.
Dropped into the local shop to buy cigarettes one day and they had the latest Unique Car magazine on the shelf.
Started to flick through it and on the first page I flicked to was my soon to be Charger.
Was fate I tell ya.. fate

I would like a 440 one day though.
383's been kind to me since I had it rebuilt but I'm sure the extra grunt wouldn't go astray
Gotta love a '69

ChargerSG

I started looking for a 4 speed RT/SE when i was 5-6 years old and my father sold his :icon_smile_big: When i got the money to buy one(cheap driver) and until i did took like 10 years, but there she was i Orgeon its my never sell car since its my first Charger and i restord it. Many Chargers later about 2 Years ago i finally got me an 4 speed RT/SE, but sure i want a real Hemi RT/SE :icon_smile_big: So i never stopped looking, but the chanse to afford one even a basketcase is just dreaming
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

chargermike

saw mine on e bay. knew it was the one for me. the motor was blown. the interior was beat to crap. the tranny was shot. the rear had a noise. but the body was rust free and all parts were there.bid on it for a week and won it in the last 5 minutes. then went to vegas to pick her up. so i looked one week

devilgear

My wife told me it would be nice to have a car to bring to shows. I was shocked, but I sold my rare Gene Simmons Axe bass and I only looked for one week until I found my tripple green 73. A week after that it was on my door step. My boy was only two at the time and when he saw it he looked up at me and said-yup, thats mine. Haha....So it will be his someday.

six-tee-nine

Something like 6 months I guess maybe give or take a month

However I had always been looking for a 68 I bought a 69 in the end and I have had no regrets whatsoever about it.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

68RRFlyer

I was beyond lucky and finally the one that got the deal, not the other guy!  I logged onto Craigslist one night just on a whim, typed in "1969 Dodge" into the search and up came an RT/SE Charger.  Called the guy and he said he had just placed the ad about :20 minutes ago.  I was the 5th guy to call.  :30 minutes later, I was looking it over and a deal was done.  So when it was all said and done, I guess it was :50 minutes.  Not too bad and it'll NEVER happen again.   :coolgleamA:  Seriously..it won't.  I don't have anymore cash! :icon_smile_big: :lol:

Cheers :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

HollyWoodCharger

My first one took about a week, it practically fell into my lap in High school one day when a really good friend told me about one he found in a local salvage yard, I bought it the next morning for $800.00 plus a parts car to boot....

The second one turned up on this forum a couple days after making a post, the day it was delivered to my door, my friend who had found the first one helped me out by flat bedding the shell to my shop on his tilt bed after the transport dropped it off at a mutual friend's dealership...

jaak

I started 'actively' searching in mid '96, and brought a Charger home on a flat bed in Jan. of 1999.

Jason

1970Moparmann

I had a Charger ever since I turned 18, just didn't have my dream one until 2002.   It's the one in my signature!  440 4 Speed Plum Crazy all #'s matching.  Could kick my self as I was actually thinking about selling it last year... WTF!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Old Moparz

When I first got my license in 1980 I never searched for a Charger, or any car. I drove a spare POS Datsun my parents had, (when it ran) then bought my own first car, a '69 Cadillac Hearse. After about a year I decided I needed a different car & looked at about 6 or 7 cars in total. Only one was a Charger, a nice looking & good running, '69 SE. None of the others were Chargers, I was just looking for the most that my money could get & remember looking at a '55 Belair, & a '67 GTO. I probably spent a few weeks looking, but probably spent 3 months trying to sell the Hearse.  :lol:

After 3 years of owning that Charger, I had put a lot of money into an abused car & now broke. Also, the car was looking rough with some rot coming through, & replacement sheet metal didn't exist back then. I started looking for another Charger with a good body, but after several months of seeing junk or expensive clean ones, I gave up & bought a '70 GTX body in nice shape. One bad thing after another happened, including the towing outfit wrecking the GTX, so thinking about any old hot rod came to an end with me going to college at the same time. I drove a handful of clunkers over the years & then my first new vehicle, a 1993 Nissan Pick up.

Fast forward to around 2003, & I decided I was going Charger hunting to build a Charger convertible using my Coronet ragtop as a base. The first think I bought wasn't a Charger, it was a Charger door jamb at Carlisle for $30. I was now on my way to getting another Charger, one piece at a time. Soon after I decided to look for a decent Charger shell & found the '68 I currently have after not finding a decent '69. The hunt for this '68 took about two or three months on ebay.

Technically, I've been looking for a '69 on & off for about 28 years.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

UH60L

It's hard to say.  I looked seriously through most of my high school years, so 4 years there, and then looked for a couple years while I was overseas in Panama, so there's 6, then looked kind of on-and-off from 1996 to 2004, maybe 3 or 4 years out of all of that.

So, I guess maybe 10 years cumulative.

(though I wanted one from 1979 to 2004 when I got one....)

Charger_Dart

5 Years or so...
In 1986 I was actively looking for a '69 Charger, and all I could find was junk or expensive nice ones. After searching for about 6 months a good friend of mine told me about a '70 Superbird 440-6bbl, 4 speed car in pieces that was for sale for $6500. I went and looked at it and could not pass it up since everything was there. Brought it home in boxes with no idea how to put it back together. I learned a lot and loved that car. So much fun to drive around. Then one day another friend said he saw a '68 Charger for sale, cheap. I checked it out and found my current R/T in 1991 and have been enjoying it ever since. Another great car.  A few years later the bird did fly the coop due to the big D  :'( but at least she let me keep the Charger  :D
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Charger´69

Well I´ve wanted old muscle car like '68-'69 Charger maybe 20 years.. And I bought my first American car when I was 23 years old in 2003 (Camaro Iroc-Z). I started searching older muscle cars like Charger '68-'69, Cuda '72-'72 and Challenger '70-'71 in october 2009. I found (or my dealer actually) this '69 Charger in december 2009 and I reserved it immediately and bought it two weeks later, it was so amazing  :cheers: I got it here to Finland in april 2010. So I didn´t have to search actively for long, only 2 months and I found what I was looking for  :D
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Cooter

Didn't really have to look all that long and hard..Bought someone elses's junk, fixed it up, painted it up like the General Lee, and been cruising ever since.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69 Bama R/T

I looked about 6 years for a 69 Charger and it paid off. :dance: :boogie:

69_500

Lets see. I started looking for a Daytona in 1996. Wound up with a few 69 and 70 Chargers along the way. Finally getting close to a Daytona in 2004 when I bought the Charger 500. Still actively searching for that daytona to park next to it. So its been about 15 years so far and still counting.

TK73

About a day.

Was looking for a '70 Chevelle and found the '73 online about Midnight on a Saturday, went the next day.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Casually for about a year and then I switched to "actively" for another year so two years total but ready with cash in hand for the second of the two.

troutstreamnm

Took me a few months.  I was originally looking for a 68, but couldn't find any that were in decent shape.  On one trip checking out a 68 in Las Vegas, NM I stumbled on a 70 Charger 500 that was in excellent shape.  I couldn't pass up a numbers matching car that was in such great shape and ended up making a deal.  Very happy, but would still like to get a 68 someday  :popcrn:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

NHCharger

My 71 fell into my lap. Was building an addition in 95 and mentioned to the owner who drives a truck that I was looking for Mopar. The next day he tells me, saw a swoopy looking Mopar out on rt. 16, ten minutes from my house. Drove out, there was my 71 sitting under a pine tree, $1,500.00 or best offer. Owner said a girl was buying it for $1,200.00 and coming over that night but I could have it for 1,200. if I beat her back with the cash. I did, she must have been pissed when she got there.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

DustinSimmonds

I searched for mine for about a year. Checked Craigslist daily, waited for my bank account to rise, and made sure I had a dolly lined up. Ended up finding one down in Rochester in June.  :icon_smile_big:

Mikesmoparperformance

I'am still looking for a 69 Charger I found a 66 but I let that one go :brickwall:  69 is my year to go for :2thumbs:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

71 b-body charger

Well im 15 now i found mine one day on craigslist looking for a part for my uncle on his 71 so
1972 Charger SE

hemi68charger

I've bascially looked for a '69 Daytona since I began to drive back in '81.. As you can see to the left, I finally accomplished my dream. Now, I did have a lot of Chargers and other mopars between now and then. All of them fun, fullfilling and one step closer to that elusive Daytona......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection