News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Control arm bushing

Started by randy73, March 30, 2011, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Is there a easy way to get old ones off or should I let the machine shop do it?

73 charger rallye

67tbird

Hi Randy, springs n things sells a tool for pressing the uppers out and a socket for removing the ball joint, at forty bucks each they are pricey, where are you located? I'm pressing mine out now but not in any rush, located in St. Charles Mo PM me if your close, Dave

randy73

Thanks I am in Birmingham,al.

HPP

You can get the upper bushings out with a short piece of pipe, a long threaded bolt, a couple of nuts and washers. I made one out of parts I just had lying around. Used a piece of exhaust pipe for the tube and some threaded rod.

randy73

HPP

Here are the pieces.

The large washers are from the strut rods, cuz they are thick and sturdy, but any would work. Thinner ones might need to be doubled up Threaded rod was the biggest that would fit through the bushings. The pipe is just old exhaust tubing. This piece is too large to actually work as I've lost the piece I used, but a short piece of exhaust adapter from the parts store that is big enough to go around the bushing flange would work. Figure this is probably $5 worth of stuff if you go buy it all new.

This is how you remove the bushing.This is a loose assembly to see how they go together. Once tight, grease the threads up good, start turning down the nut on the outside to pull the bushing out.

To install the bushing, reverse the procedure to pull it in. Doing this you can also alter the depth of install to perfectly match any washers or chassis dimensions on your particular car.