News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me (and Chris) by decifering my crappy VIN pics

Started by bull, April 02, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: Rallyecharger on April 02, 2011, 09:19:44 AM
Realistically, you should have stuck around and talked to the wife.........told her the truth as to what you are doing there and how much you like Chargers.
 Snapping some pics and taking off sets a bad scene really quick. People tend to think the worst until the truth is known.  I bet next time you go near there it will be twice as difficult trying to talk or take another look.
 :Twocents:

Had I not been running late for work I would have done that. I did talk to her as much as time would allow and I wouldn't have any problems going back there to start over again. However, my patience with this mindset has run thin over the years. It's annoying to me to have to spend so much time to convince these paranoid types that no, your car is not worth $14,000 as it sits. Unlike these people I don't have all day to sit around in my bathrobe smoking cigarettes and worrying that someone might steal the "valuables" out of what used to be the front yard. I've got work to do, a family to raise, a house to keep clean, a yard to maintain, a Charger to restore, etc.

TK73

I just haven't quite nailed it down yet but it is not OK with me to have some yahoo show up on my property taking pics of my car without talking to me.  THEN posting the car identification online.

Whatever justification you use to make this guy out to be lesser of a person than you still does not make this ok.

If somebody did that to me they'd be invited to a 12-gauge enema.

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Quote from: TK73 on April 02, 2011, 12:15:37 PM
I just haven't quite nailed it down yet but it is not OK with me to have some yahoo show up on my property taking pics of my car without talking to me.  THEN posting the car identification online.

Whatever justification you use to make this guy out to be lesser of a person than you still does not make this ok.

If somebody did that to me they'd be invited to a 12-gauge enema.

I don't know if whatever mental/emotional disability this person is dealing with makes him lesser of a person (your definition) but I don't have to like the results of the shortcomings he's chosen to hold onto. And despite your cowboy solution there are still laws and rules governing what you can do on your own property and as I said before, I had permission to be where I was for those two minutes.

bull

Actually, now that I think about it, you make a good point about the VIN so I'll take that info away. The rest of it stays though because it's all visible from a public street.

1969chargerrtse

Oh, " I did talk to her as much as time would allow ".  I missed something, I didn't know you talked to her.  I re tract.  As for posting the Vin, that's a hard one for me. not sure If I really have an issue with that?  I thought you snuck in the yard and snapped pictures.  My thought was once you saw her to go up and introduce yourself would of been nice.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on April 02, 2011, 02:17:11 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, you make a good point about the VIN so I'll take that info away. The rest of it stays though because it's all visible from a public street.

I still to this day do not understand why one should not post license plates or VINs etc online?? It's all publicly displayed information. Could someone enlighten me as to why this is an issue?   :shruggy:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 02, 2011, 03:18:30 PM
Oh, " I did talk to her as much as time would allow ".  I missed something, I didn't know you talked to her.  I re tract.  As for posting the Vin, that's a hard one for me. not sure If I really have an issue with that?  I thought you snuck in the yard and snapped pictures.  My thought was once you saw her to go up and introduce yourself would of been nice.

You're right, and normally I do/would have. I was on the fence as to whether I should go at all because I only had 15 minutes of spare time but one thing led to another and there I was. First I thought I'll just try to find it, then when I found it I thought I'll just jot down the address. Then it was get out and have a look. Then it was knock on the door and ask and then the girl came outside so I asked if I could take a peek. Then I was taking pictures, etc.

bull

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 02, 2011, 05:32:59 PM
Quote from: bull on April 02, 2011, 02:17:11 PM

I still to this day do not understand why one should not post license plates or VINs etc online?? It's all publicly displayed information. Could someone enlighten me as to why this is an issue?   :shruggy:

VINs I can see to a point but I have no idea on the license plate thing. A plate can be seen if the car can be seen but a VIN is a little tougher. Still, if the car is sitting still outside the VIN can be viewed. :shruggy: I don't understand all the fuss either but I do know if this guy (or anyone) values a car as much as they want us to think they do they would probably make security a little more of a priority. And they certainly wouldn't leave the car sitting outside in the weather for years and years.