News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me (and Chris) by decifering my crappy VIN pics

Started by bull, April 02, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

So the following pics look like a mixture of The Blair Witch Project and a Sasquatch sighting but I only had about two minutes to steal a few pics before the Deliverance guy inside this shack would have made me squeal like a pig. Plus I had to scrub 20 years worth of grime off the windshield and stifle some rare NW sunshine that was causing a glare. I think through it all we might be able to decifer the VIN on this 69 for Chris's '69 registery.

I know it's an XP Charger with an "F" 318 so it should be easy to figure the rest.

Vainglory, Esq.

Vainglory, Esq.

BTW, story on the car and the guy who thought you had a purty mouth?

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

I did calm down enough to get a couple of decent pics before my escape. Notice I'm being watched in the 2nd pic? :o My brother helped his daughter move into an apartment somewhere around this place a few weeks ago and he took a pic of it, told me about it and how to find it. I had some extra time before work today so I went to see about getting the VIN and having a look.

Now, before you go off on me about private property rights and trespassing (as if that's worse than letting a 69 Charger rot) let me say I did get permission from the teenage girl that happened to step outside as I was walking up to look at the car. She muttered something about how she didn't want her dad to get woke up (at 8:30 am) to which I replied "I'll be outta here in two minutes" and then her mom, or a specter, had a look at me through the window.

Then, as I was in my Dakota jotting down the approximate address the mom/specter came outside and started taking pics of me and my pickup, most likely as suspect evidence should their $75,000 318/auto Charger get stolen in the future.

I couldn't see through the glass well enough to figure much out other than it looked like it was a column auto with no buddy seat. :shruggy: It looked pretty straight but is probably fairly rotten too, in the usual spots. Not rotten like an East Coast car but there is grass growing on top of the leaves that are rotting away on the cowl and Dutchman so the car is obviously not being well taken care of. Oh well. This thing has been sitting for 20 years or more I'm sure and you can bet it will sit for 20 more before it rusts itself to the ground and snaps in half.

68X426

So what did mom and daughter look like? :D More pics coming?  :coolgleamA:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

greenpigs

Dunno, but that Charger is worth a lot less than they think I bet.

Be nice if someone with the capital could get the car, what do you guys think would be a good price to offer? Not for me but we have members that are looking & have enough $ to get this Charger I would think.

If the car runs & isn't rotted out underneath I would think 5 - 7K is a very reasonable starting point for an offer.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bull

Quote from: 68X426 on April 02, 2011, 12:32:43 AM
So what did mom and daughter look like? :D More pics coming?  :coolgleamA:

What did they look like? Well, picture gnarly hair, no makeup, a dirty bath robe, flip flops, cigarettes, crooked teeth and an angry scowl. So yea, no pics....

Dans 68

Did ya get a look of the Dad?   :scratchchin:  The one ya got to watch out for is his friend....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

Is it even for sale?  They are likely just sick and tired of allthe other meth heads coming around and casing the joint.

bull

Quote from: greenpigs on April 02, 2011, 12:48:27 AM
Dunno, but that Charger is worth a lot less than they think I bet.

Be nice if someone with the capital could get the car, what do you guys think would be a good price to offer? Not for me but we have members that are looking & have enough $ to get this Charger I would think.

If the car runs & isn't rotted out underneath I would think 5 - 7K is a very reasonable starting point for an offer.

Quote from: Ghoste on April 02, 2011, 12:55:58 AM
Is it even for sale?  They are likely just sick and tired of allthe other meth heads coming around and casing the joint.

Nothing's for sale and yet everything's for sale, you know? This one is not for sale and I wouldn't start at $5k if it were. Maybe $2,500 and go from there. Before the first Charger site crashed I managed to wrest another 69 318 Charger out of the hands of a woman in southeast Portland and get it into the hands of a site member who lived in Las Vegas. She thought that one was worth $12k when I first started talking to her and by the time I got the buyer lined up she was down to a more reasonable $4k IIRC.

Never did "get" to see the dad. Didn't really want to either. Not sure if I got it in me to go round and round with these people on this car but I would like to see it saved. I know where there's a 68 R/T for sale, sort of, in northeast Portland. The guy says he wants enough money for it to put his daughter through college. If that means one year at a community college I might be able to help him out.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

tan top

looks pretty straight from the pictures  :yesnod:   thanks for sharing the pictures Bull  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

greenpigs

I only said 5K as I bet the guys tired of lowball 1500 dollar offers & tire kickers. Without seeing the car & going over it I should have been clearer and had 5 to 7K max, unless it is VERY clean. Most probably everything needs rebuilt from sitting so long & low mileage will not mean much IMO.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on April 02, 2011, 12:29:13 AM
Not rotten like an East Coast car but there is grass growing on top of the leaves that are rotting away on the cowl and Dutchman so the car is obviously not being well taken care of. Oh well. This thing has been sitting for 20 years or more I'm sure and you can bet it will sit for 20 more before it rusts itself to the ground and snaps in half.

How about the goldfish pond there on the hood.  :rotz:

I'd say you got the VIN correct as well. It's sad to see them sit out like that. My neighbor has a early 90s mustang convertible sitting out in his side yard. The cloth roof is slowly disintegrating.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

stripedelete

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

I like it a lot.  Nice car, tinted glass, rare lower rocker trim and looks like original paint. Also one of the few 69 chargers without a vinyl top.  Love that T5  :drool5:

Even in todays low prices, front clip alone is worth 2,500.00
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

UFO

I think it used to have a vinyl top,before mother nature stepped in.
There appears to be the trim for the top in the last pic(where's she's looking out the window).

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Rallyecharger

Realistically, you should have stuck around and talked to the wife.........told her the truth as to what you are doing there and how much you like Chargers.
  Snapping some pics and taking off sets a bad scene really quick. People tend to think the worst until the truth is known.  I bet next time you go near there it will be twice as difficult trying to talk or take another look.
  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: UFO on April 02, 2011, 08:44:48 AM
I think it used to have a vinyl top,before mother nature stepped in.
There appears to be the trim for the top in the last pic(where's she's looking out the window).
:yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Rallyecharger on April 02, 2011, 09:19:44 AM
Realistically, you should have stuck around and talked to the wife.........told her the truth as to what you are doing there and how much you like Chargers.
 Snapping some pics and taking off sets a bad scene really quick. People tend to think the worst until the truth is known.  I bet next time you go near there it will be twice as difficult trying to talk or take another look.
:iagree:

Brock Samson

bull

Quote from: Rallyecharger on April 02, 2011, 09:19:44 AM
 Snapping some pics and taking off sets a bad scene really quick. People tend to think the worst until the truth is known.  I bet next time you go near there it will be twice as difficult trying to talk or take another look.

Had I not been running late for work I would have done that. I did talk to her as much as time would allow and I wouldn't have any problems going back there to start over again. However, my patience with this mindset has run thin over the years. It's annoying to me to have to spend so much time to convince these paranoid types that no, your car is not worth $14,000 as it sits. Unlike these people I don't have all day to sit around in my bathrobe smoking cigarettes and worrying that someone might steal the "valuables" out of what used to be the front yard. I've got work to do, a family to raise, a house to keep clean, a yard to maintain, a Charger to restore, etc.

TK73

I just haven't quite nailed it down yet but it is not OK with me to have some yahoo show up on my property taking pics of my car without talking to me.  THEN posting the car identification online.

Whatever justification you use to make this guy out to be lesser of a person than you still does not make this ok.

If somebody did that to me they'd be invited to a 12-gauge enema.

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Quote from: TK73 on April 02, 2011, 12:15:37 PM
I just haven't quite nailed it down yet but it is not OK with me to have some yahoo show up on my property taking pics of my car without talking to me.  THEN posting the car identification online.

Whatever justification you use to make this guy out to be lesser of a person than you still does not make this ok.

If somebody did that to me they'd be invited to a 12-gauge enema.

I don't know if whatever mental/emotional disability this person is dealing with makes him lesser of a person (your definition) but I don't have to like the results of the shortcomings he's chosen to hold onto. And despite your cowboy solution there are still laws and rules governing what you can do on your own property and as I said before, I had permission to be where I was for those two minutes.

bull

Actually, now that I think about it, you make a good point about the VIN so I'll take that info away. The rest of it stays though because it's all visible from a public street.

1969chargerrtse

Oh, " I did talk to her as much as time would allow ".  I missed something, I didn't know you talked to her.  I re tract.  As for posting the Vin, that's a hard one for me. not sure If I really have an issue with that?  I thought you snuck in the yard and snapped pictures.  My thought was once you saw her to go up and introduce yourself would of been nice.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on April 02, 2011, 02:17:11 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, you make a good point about the VIN so I'll take that info away. The rest of it stays though because it's all visible from a public street.

I still to this day do not understand why one should not post license plates or VINs etc online?? It's all publicly displayed information. Could someone enlighten me as to why this is an issue?   :shruggy:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 02, 2011, 03:18:30 PM
Oh, " I did talk to her as much as time would allow ".  I missed something, I didn't know you talked to her.  I re tract.  As for posting the Vin, that's a hard one for me. not sure If I really have an issue with that?  I thought you snuck in the yard and snapped pictures.  My thought was once you saw her to go up and introduce yourself would of been nice.

You're right, and normally I do/would have. I was on the fence as to whether I should go at all because I only had 15 minutes of spare time but one thing led to another and there I was. First I thought I'll just try to find it, then when I found it I thought I'll just jot down the address. Then it was get out and have a look. Then it was knock on the door and ask and then the girl came outside so I asked if I could take a peek. Then I was taking pictures, etc.

bull

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 02, 2011, 05:32:59 PM
Quote from: bull on April 02, 2011, 02:17:11 PM

I still to this day do not understand why one should not post license plates or VINs etc online?? It's all publicly displayed information. Could someone enlighten me as to why this is an issue?   :shruggy:

VINs I can see to a point but I have no idea on the license plate thing. A plate can be seen if the car can be seen but a VIN is a little tougher. Still, if the car is sitting still outside the VIN can be viewed. :shruggy: I don't understand all the fuss either but I do know if this guy (or anyone) values a car as much as they want us to think they do they would probably make security a little more of a priority. And they certainly wouldn't leave the car sitting outside in the weather for years and years.