News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 pistons, need your advice

Started by mopar0166, April 12, 2011, 08:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

im looking to by pistons to day and my choice is Speed Pro L2355F30 or the keith black KB237-030,  im having the machine shop refir my stock rod with new hardware and it going to be a nice street engine with the edlebrock rpm performer power package , hoping for compression in the upper 9s  low 10s    any advice botht htose pistons are listed for the stock rod pin but i think weight mayof the pistons may come in to play?

flyinlow

Used the speed pros on a build years ago with six pac rods ( 72 cop car motor) No problems.

I tried SRP 213455 pistons on my last build. Lighter than stock, used the lighter LY rods (76 stationwagon motor) Should be easier on the bearings. With Eddy 84cc heads about 10:1 cr. You will need to rebalance the rotating group.

mopar0166

Thanks for the comment , I think I am leaning towards the Speed Pro L2355F30 pistions, its looking like upper 9's for compression and will use the LY rods that i have.  the eddy power pack comes with a choice of 88 cc or 84 cc, that estiamte was taken using the 84 cc heads.  From what i hear its a nice forged piston and will be good for what im looking for.  Any other ideas please let em know thanks

redmist

SRP 213455 Is the way to go, Why anyone runs the heavy speed pro and KB pistons is beyond me..  I guess folks just don't know about the SRP's yet.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Cooter

Quote from: redmist on April 12, 2011, 06:21:38 PM
SRP 213455 Is the way to go, Why anyone runs the heavy speed pro and KB pistons is beyond me.. 

Maybe cause with anything new out the gate, there's sure to be problems with quality control and such. With the tried and true Speed Pro/TRW pistons that have been around since dirt was still a rock, there's that piece of mind thing...Maybe the price has something to do with it too..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

The Speedpro 2355's are excellent pistons but are heavy. They weigh close to a factory piston so balancing is a simple task for the machinist. These are fine for a street motor that won't be revving over 6000 very often.

My old 446 has stock reworked LY rods and the 2355's and it made excellent power ; 535hp/540tq on pump gas.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs