News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 CHARGER Build, TONIGHT - 9PM, TUES. 3/29- Discovery Ch., Desert Car Kings

Started by BIGBLCK11, March 29, 2011, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

The size and shape of the hood scallops/indentations are actually different for all 3 years.

Brock Lee

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 02, 2011, 10:26:07 PM
The size and shape of the hood scallops/indentations are actually different for all 3 years.

1968 and 1969 hood indents are identical. The only difference between the 2 hoods is the 69's have a added little rectangular plate that hits the rubber bumper attached to the fender/core support.

Kern Dog

Hmmmm.....
Forgive me if I am wrong. I DO know for certain that the indentations on my 70 are deeper and wider than the 68/69 hood. I'll need to bring a tape measure to Spring Fling to prove you right/wrong. :hah:

Brock Lee

Yes the 70 is different. You said the indents on all 3 years are different. That is wrong.

ACUDANUT

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 03, 2011, 08:42:11 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 02, 2011, 05:32:07 PM
Does the '69 Daytona use a '70 hood  ??

:shruggy:... :scratchchin:
yes , but a true daytona hood is a little different in the front structure , 70's are vedry close and what you have to use on a clone .

there are alot of real daytonas running around with 70 hoods as replacements . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Lee

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 03, 2011, 08:41:16 AM
How is the indents on the 70 hood different ?

They are wider and longer. Look at how close they get to the peak of the hood. The whole hood is different and I believe debuted on the Daytona?

Kern Dog

Back to the original topic.......
I just watched the show again. While it WAS a half assed attempt at a restoration, I was happy to see that they featured a Mopar. The price that the buyer paid may insure that the car stays on the road longer unless the kid stacks it up.
The color was ugly. The vinyl top too. It was slower than a slant six Valiant..... But it IS a Charger. If you watch these shows with the understanding that they are NOT intended to be perfect restorations but instead a mediocre rebuild job performed by a crew of Drama queens, you may actually enjoy the show.
The only guys on the show that I'd want to hang out with are the Parts guy and the marketing dude.

bill440rt

Just watched it last night for the first time on my DVR, also. Nearly threw up my popcorn.  :popcrn:  :puke: :puke:

What was laughable was throughout the entire episode they kept referring to it as a "restoration". It essentially was putting a car together quickly with whatever parts they had on hand in their salvage yard or whatever they could find used that would work.
They described it as being "rough as they come", but frankly I would LOVE to find a project car with floors as solid as those were.
And that "auction" that they scrambled to meet a deadline was a joke. It was just a salvage auction, nothing special.

It is what it is, another Charger put back on the road and at least featured being saved, not rolled over on top of by a bus.
And for what it's worth, I ran a 20.0 in the 1/4 in my mom's old Plymouth Horizon that I "borrowed" one night as a kid.  ::)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ccr-host

As someone who has been in the automotive television game since the mid 90's, I have to say we need to be a little more supportive of this type of content. Not over the top supportive, but a bash-fest isn't helpful. Yes, some shows are tossed together by people who know very little about cars. But, to critique them harshly will only serve to pull the plug, rather than make them improve. It's a chicken and egg thing. The more we bash these shows, the more they disappear and are replaced by non-automotive content. Rides, Overhaulin', Monster Garage, and Wrecks to Riches, are all TLC and Discovery shows that have gone away over the past few years. They've been replaced by a new wave of dysfunctional family shows like John and Kate and Big People-Little World. Hardly a fair trade if you're an automotive person. The wave of automotive content we enjoyed just 3 or 4 years ago has been rapidly declining. That sends a message to advertisers and program execs to stop supporting this kind of content. So yes, be a little critical so they will improve rather than go away. IMO, saying a show "sucks", isn't as helpful as "sucks because..."! Let's face it a bad automotive show is still better than another dog training series!  :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: ccr-host on April 04, 2011, 12:04:17 PM
As someone who has been in the automotive television game since the mid 90's, I have to say we need to be a little more supportive of this type of content. Not over the top supportive, but a bash-fest isn't helpful. Yes, some shows are tossed together by people who know very little about cars. But, to critique them harshly will only serve to pull the plug, rather than make them improve. It's a chicken and egg thing. The more we bash these shows, the more they disappear and are replaced by non-automotive content. Rides, Overhaulin', Monster Garage, and Wrecks to Riches, are all TLC and Discovery shows that have gone away over the past few years. They've been replaced by a new wave of dysfunctional family shows like John and Kate and Big People-Little World. Hardly a fair trade if you're an automotive person. The wave of automotive content we enjoyed just 3 or 4 years ago has been rapidly declining. That sends a message to advertisers and program execs to stop supporting this kind of content. So yes, be a little critical so they will improve rather than go away. IMO, saying a show "sucks", isn't as helpful as "sucks because..."! Let's face it a bad automotive show is still better than another dog training series!  :Twocents:
totally agree

ACUDANUT

Yep. your right. At least they are "restoring" Datsons or Toyota's.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

F8-4life

I think some of you are reading into it too much. I liked the show and hope they keep running it. Sure the guys seem a little goofy but old cars/classic salvage yard content on cable is not an everyday thing....  :Twocents: I'd love to spend a day in that yard.

NHCharger

I have to disagree with you CCR. The reason those shows failed is that it was the same old story line every week, just a different car. The majority of people who tune in to watch a show like DC Kings are already car guys and are looking for some entertainment. Not to watch six guys turn a salvage yard car into a perfumed pig. On Spike TV they have their auto shows, Horsepower TV, Muscle Car, Trucks and Extreme 4x4. They've been on for years and are actually informative. Although I'm not into trucks I find myself watching Trucks the most because I find that show the most informative.

I consider the DC Kings show a long infomercial for the yard. Instead of buying some nice new panels from AMD they find some beat up fenders with rust holes and dents and smear 20 pounds of bondo on the panels to fix them. They could easily make the show more watchable. Get rid of the three week deadline. Build the car over the course of two shows, showing more on how they build the car.  Do Not go the dodge dealership and try to convince me that the new 4 door Charger resembles a 68, that's just insulting my intelligence. Stop with the staged drama. Telling the crew repeatedly that the back window of the barracuda is worth 2k and don't break it (their on ebay for a couple hundred), and then they break it.

For the non-automotive person who watches the show they will soon get the impression that us gearheads are a bunch of knuckle dragging nitwits.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bill440rt

FWIW, some of those "reality" automotive shows were actually some of my favorite programs, it's all I used to record on my DVR. I am one of the few on this forum that loved to watch Overhaulin' & Monster Garage. Now I know many members on here absolutely hate Chip Foose's work, but I liked to watch the purpose & meaning that went into each car on every episode. Although the car was built in a week, at least there was a group of knowledgeable people working on the car trying to do things the right way. If it needed a floor or a quarter panel, the car got it.

Although sometimes silly, Musclecar at least shows some new techniques or ideas. Granted, the word "restoration" does not really apply to any of these shows (even the XP Hemi, sorry), but at least there is some care taken to do the job right.

The '68 on DC Kings looked like a somewhat solid car to begin with, but incomplete. They complained the whole episode about finding these "hard to find parts", yet everything they were looking for could have been had with one simple phone call. The show was about slapping the car together (crudely I might add), with whatever parts they had on hand or could scrounge up.

The only saving grace is that I was at least HAPPY to see it being fixed up rather than jumped, crushed, or blown up for entertainment purposes.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ccr-host

Quote from: NHCharger on April 04, 2011, 08:04:44 PM
I have to disagree with you CCR. The reason those shows failed is that it was the same old story line every week, just a different car. The majority of people who tune in to watch a show like DC Kings are already car guys and are looking for some entertainment. Not to watch six guys turn a salvage yard car into a perfumed pig. On Spike TV they have their auto shows, Horsepower TV, Muscle Car, Trucks and Extreme 4x4. They've been on for years and are actually informative. Although I'm not into trucks I find myself watching Trucks the most because I find that show the most informative.

I consider the DC Kings show a long infomercial for the yard. Instead of buying some nice new panels from AMD they find some beat up fenders with rust holes and dents and smear 20 pounds of bondo on the panels to fix them. They could easily make the show more watchable. Get rid of the three week deadline. Build the car over the course of two shows, showing more on how they build the car.  Do Not go the dodge dealership and try to convince me that the new 4 door Charger resembles a 68, that's just insulting my intelligence. Stop with the staged drama. Telling the crew repeatedly that the back window of the barracuda is worth 2k and don't break it (their on ebay for a couple hundred), and then they break it.

For the non-automotive person who watches the show they will soon get the impression that us gearheads are a bunch of knuckle dragging nitwits.
Are you serious? You consider DC Kings a long infomercial. But, you find the shows on SPIKE informative? REALLY? Wow. Do you know what it takes to get a product featured on those shows? ...A check. Nothing more.

Kern Dog

aussiemuscle

Quote from: NHCharger on April 04, 2011, 08:04:44 PM
I consider the DC Kings show a long infomercial for the yard. Instead of buying some nice new panels from AMD they find some beat up fenders with rust holes and dents and smear 20 pounds of bondo on the panels to fix them. They could easily make the show more watchable. Get rid of the three week deadline. Build the car over the course of two shows, showing more on how they build the car.  
Sounds like you'd prefer an american version of Wheeler Dealers. something a bit more informative and useful. Mike goes out and buys a car, showing how he goes about it, and adds a few tips for what to look for. then Edd fixes the car up, showing how he does each job and also tips to make the job easier, and where you can save money. he mostly just replaces worn ball-joints and fixes a few broken switches, then gives it a bit of polish. then Mike comes back and sells the car.

i watched some of DC Kings on discovery website (they have a couple 2 minute sections, rippoff) and it seems like a 4 wheeled version of American Chopper (aka drama show with a bikes)

Troy

Look at it this way, if everyone would watch this show instead of Barrett Jackson there would be fewer nitwits thinking the rusted pile in their yard is worth $100k. :P Hopefully, even math-challenged folks will realize that you can barely make a profit off a car you paid next to nothing for after covering two weeks labor (not even shop rates!) of 4-5 guys and wholesale shop supplies (including paint). I have to say that at least most of the prices seem realistic - Barracuda back glass excluded.

On the other hand, it goes to show that you can have a decent "driver" without having to spend $50k. It may not win any awards but you're less likely to want to kill anyone who damages it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on April 05, 2011, 09:52:28 AM
Look at it this way, if everyone would watch this show instead of Barrett Jackson there would be fewer nitwits thinking the rusted pile in their yard is worth $100k. :P Hopefully, even math-challenged folks will realize that you can barely make a profit off a car you paid next to nothing for after covering two weeks labor (not even shop rates!) of 4-5 guys and wholesale shop supplies (including paint). I have to say that at least most of the prices seem realistic - Barracuda back glass excluded.

On the other hand, it goes to show that you can have a decent "driver" without having to spend $50k. It may not win any awards but you're less likely to want to kill anyone who damages it.

Troy

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

NHCharger

Quote from: ccr-host on April 04, 2011, 10:46:15 PM
[Are you serious? You consider DC Kings a long infomercial. But, you find the shows on SPIKE informative? REALLY? Wow. Do you know what it takes to get a product featured on those shows? ...A check. Nothing more.

I didn't mean a product. I meant once and a while there is something they do on the show that is helpful or a better way to do something than the way I do it.
I use to watch a couple of the shows you mentioned, American Hot Rod and Overhaulin'. I liked them for what they were. I also watch the American version of Top Gear which many members here have ripped. I'm just saying that with the resources DCK's have available they could do a better job on their builds. If they want to keep the drama, fine but it's so predictable it hurts to watch.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Patronus

Fine fine fine. Just get rid of the DRAMA!! I've got enough of that on my own, I dont need to see some guy saying, "how are we ever going to get done?" with some shitty grin on... :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE