News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did you tweak the color, Dude?

Started by HeavyFuel, March 29, 2011, 04:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

My car was originally blue (b5 I think), but since the car was far from original when I got it, and because I had intended to go the General Lee route, I had the body shop paint it hemi orange, but I had them leave the metal flake out, just to be different.

From talking with others who have had their cars painted, a good shop can either mix up, or have made, the exact color that your car originally was (or color you want).  All I had to do as give them the paint code for hemi orange and they asked about the metal flake, and I said no, and they had it painted orange about a week later (after all the body work was done, of course).

That was probably the least painful part of the whole process.

Manfred318

Quote from: HeavyFuel on March 31, 2011, 04:26:31 PM
Charger-Dart,
Looks nice!

That color looks pretty close to factory JJ1, what did you adjust on the color?  Kinda hard to tell under the floourescent lights as well.
:iagree:
I was thinkin the same thing. It looks pretty darn close. Mine looks about that same shade.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Charger_Dart

Quote from: Manfred318 on April 01, 2011, 01:52:04 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on March 31, 2011, 04:26:31 PM
Charger-Dart,
Looks nice!

That color looks pretty close to factory JJ1, what did you adjust on the color?  Kinda hard to tell under the floourescent lights as well.
:iagree:
I was thinkin the same thing. It looks pretty darn close. Mine looks about that same shade.

I know what you mean. The florescent lights make it look different. The color in the daylight is a little lighter. My car is still at the body shop, so i can't get any good outdoor pictures of it - plus its snowing today  :icon_smile_angry: Maybe this picture will show it better?

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Brock Samson

The owner of this car Tweaked the stock gold by adding black  :shruggy: He said... it's the Mr. Norms that was a total I posted last Yr. I take it Heavy, Yours was/is jj1 by your avatar pic?..  :shruggy:

Brock Samson

while on the color of "Gold" were they not all called Bronze?..  :shruggy: here's the earlier fresh resto i spotted in '09.

HeavyFuel

Brock...

Yeah, mine is factory JJ1, and thanks for posting all of those pics. 

So that guy added black, when it was re-painted, but probably was proabably JJ1 when it was a Mr. Norm's car, I'm guessing.   With that heritage, you'd think he'd keep it the same. :shruggy:

And that next car's paint really turned out nice, looks really close to factory....but with monitor, camera and lighting conditions, that color sure changes alot!

If I could get my color to look like this all the time, I would.  I think the camera lens had a filter fo some type, or the pics were edited

Brock Samson

If you could go back to original paint jobs, would you want to?.. What I mean is the colors and finishes are soooooo much better today then they were when they came from the factory. I've seen the original paints back in the day, and they can't/couldn't hold a candle to what a decent painter can do today... there's so much more gloss possible with hand blocking and clear than original the colors, It's bound to look substantially better (and different). Who'd want an original type paint job unless it's a patch to match original paint?..  :shruggy:

BTW: Heavy, if you didin't see the original threads those pics came from I can try to find them, if you'd like..  :shruggy:

moparsons

Along the same lines as this thread....If you did use a non stock color....would you lie to people about it? Like say "I had it custom mixed to match a coffee cup" or tell people what color it is?

Brock Samson

As a matter of fact yes, when the MOPAR know-it-alls come along and say "Plum Crazy Huh?" ,.. I don't say anything...  I wait to see if they will realize their mistake, they never do though, they usually follow up by asking  if it's "All Original"...  :lol:
BTW: a dark blue coffee cup was my original inspiration for my switch from Black to Blue. I showed the cup to the painter who then selected the paint. Mixing the Red tint in the clear came after the initial color coats were on, i didn't know how exactly it was gonna come out cause it was in the booth, I kinda' went with my gut.  :shruggy: I've never regretted it.

moparsons

You'd mentioned the coffee cup thing before......that's where I got it.  I think it turned out great  :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 04, 2011, 01:59:56 PM
  BTW: Heavy, if you didin't see the original threads those pics came from I can try to find them, if you'd like..  :shruggy:

That'd be cool.....Thanks..

Brock Samson

375instroke

Quote from: aussiemuscle on March 30, 2011, 12:05:20 AM
i think if it was a 'cool' color i'd keep it factory and only change it if it was poo-brown or something hideous like that.

Thanks a pant load (see avatar to left).