News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General lee information

Started by mpdlawdog, March 28, 2011, 01:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

A fellow employee and I are having an arguement about General Lees....does anyone know how many were used in filming the show..he said 17..he also says they had hemis...I dont think so but he doesnt believe me...If anyone has some info please let me know so I can shut him up
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

dookie01

They used i believe 309 general lees through out the complete series, and they had 1 hemi ??? I think that Warner Brothers actually still owns :yesnod:

JT01

The number of chargers used was between 309 and 320 they had 18 left over they kept one and released the other 17 no Hemis was used they did use a charger that was originally a Hemi car but didnt have the Hemi in it. The myth was the General Lee was a 440 which they used all motors except Hemis

kamkuda

According to Ben Jones ("Cooter" in the show), as well as builders involved with the show, 256 General Lees were used to film the series. Others claim about 321 were used in the series. Approximately seventeen still exist in various states of repair. On average, more than one General Lee was used up per show

More info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Lee

JT01

Ive also heard 256 it seems more people from the show say around 300 anyway whatever it is it was more than 17

Ghoste

Could your co-worker be thinking about any of the movies?

BY RSCO

There are vaious answers -  James Best (rosco) strongly claims 321 - not including any movies. so safe to say anywhere in the 300 mark. Someone with way more knowledge than me will help out on this subject too ( such as JT, thanks by the way!!). Also, just an additional tidbit - a lot of folks claim year models 68-70 were used - no 70 chargers were used, only 68 & 69 - the 68s were made to look like 69s - sometimes you would see sidemarker lights that had been painted over, etc.. the did do grill and rear (tail light panel) conversions.  

resq302

I heard that a total of 283 were destroyed in making the series so add on the 17 left over that people are talking about that still exist and you have 290 easy.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

mpdlawdog

We are arguing about the show only.....he is a "idiot know it all" who will argue that the grass is green and I would love to make him eat it!  He just sent me a text saying "that cooter was an actor not the fleet mananger...318s were used for the jump scenes and the 426 was used to smoke the tires."

Please keep the info up...if there is anywhere that lists the info please post it! 
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

BY RSCO

Quote from: mpdlawdog on March 28, 2011, 02:07:18 PM
We are arguing about the show only.....he is a idiot know it all who will argue that the grass is green!

Well, mine is still brown...  ;)
We have your back on this one!

Lennard

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.  ;)

Ghoste

He seems to be questioning your sources but I don't recall you telling us that he had some sort of for certain insider proof?

BY RSCO

Unfortunately, when you google the subject you will find all kinds of conflicting information. Bottom line is that there are many of us who have studied different aspects of the show since it was originally aired for whatever reason, or "may" possibly have a close relationship with a cast member or mechanic who we get information from, which common sense says is the best and most accurate source. Bottom line for your argument is that is was DEFINITELY more than 17, and I have seen may 318 cars smoke tires...does not take a 426 to do a burnout, especially on a 14x7 inch radial (on dirt...haha).
The most important point of the day, and I will say it now before a couple of folks hijack the thread because it mentions an orange charger... The General was and always will be a Dodge Charger, the best Muscle Car ever made.. period. No Matter what color, paint sceme, decals, etc. It is still a Charger...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: mpdlawdog on March 28, 2011, 01:34:20 PM
A fellow employee and I are having an arguement about General Lees....does anyone know how many were used in filming the show..he said 17..he also says they had hemis...I dont think so but he doesnt believe me...If anyone has some info please let me know so I can shut him up

Tell him to count them himself. As a general rule, each one that takes a significant jump was considered totalled by Warner Brothers, and junked (don't count the reused footage and the miniatures). He will be past 17 cars before finishing watching most any season (except for maybe the first 13-episode half season, and the last season where they mostly used miniatures and old footage).

It might help if you show him pictures like of this actual series car, which shows what the cars tended to look like after they landed:

Wayne Wooten has a list of serial numbers from Warner Brothers for over 200 of them, which trumps your fellow employee's claim by default. Also, those who have actual information about the show (including Wayne Wooten) say there were no known Hemi cars used.

He may be confusing the number of known surviving cars (17-19) with the total number of cars used. Wayne Wooten arranged a deal with Warner Brothers in the early '90s to provide new owners for the 17 General Lees in varying states of [dis]repair that WB still had on their property. As far as I know, those all still exist in the hands of collectors; some restored, some left "as-is".

JT01

Also as far as jumps go some of the bigger jumps big blocks was used not just small blocks was used for jumps.

Brock Samson

one word for ya' son, "Quality Control".   :lol:

MoparManJim

I know in an interview with Ben Jones (Cooter) long time ago, he said they went through 369 Dodge Chargers, maybe he might have said 300 69 Dodge Chargers, I don't know but to me it sounded like he said 369 Dodge Chargers. But shure has heck was not no 17 they went through though. 

Also they used mostly 318 cars for the driving scenes, and the 383's and 440's for the jumps. 

Troy

He is obviously confused. As mentioned, you can see the cars bend in half on most landings - and sometimes they may have repeated a stunt. There are 17 survivors that were sold by Warner Brothers (I believe this deal was set up by Wayne Wooten and is well documented). John Schneider sold his personal car a while back. It did have a Hemi installed (but not originally) and may have been used in one of the reunion shows - but not in the series. It was certainly not true to the typical screen used car. Even then, Hemi cars would have been too rare/expensive to buy for the show. The budget wasn't unlimited! I think some of the previous info may be incorrect: I thought the big block cars made the jumps because the small block cars couldn't accelerate in the somewhat limited space they had?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Troy on March 28, 2011, 04:01:08 PM
He is obviously confused. As mentioned, you can see the cars bend in half on most landings - and sometimes they may have repeated a stunt. There are 17 survivors that were sold by Warner Brothers (I believe this deal was set up by Wayne Wooten and is well documented). John Schneider sold his personal car a while back. It did have a Hemi installed (but not originally) and may have been used in one of the reunion shows - but not in the series. It was certainly not true to the typical screen used car. Even then, Hemi cars would have been too rare/expensive to buy for the show. The budget wasn't unlimited! I think some of the previous info may be incorrect: I thought the big block cars made the jumps because the small block cars couldn't accelerate in the somewhat limited space they had?

Troy

:lol: Dude, I heard the info about the engines from a interview from Tom S himself talking about the engines and what kind they used and why. Tom S was one of 2 main guys as the other was Rich Septon (R.I.P.) that built the General's for on the series and for the stunt work. So if your calling my info incorrect then you are also calling the info for one of the main guys incorrect as well and they was the ones that build the cars used the cars for what.  :lol: 

John S General Lee was used in Hazzard In Hollywood which was the 2nd Dukes reunion movie that aired in 2000, the one scene that stands out is where it is driving down main and the camera is following it from behind. 

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: i dunno, i think i'm gonna go with Troy on this one...  :shruggy:

JT01

Quote from: MoparManJim on March 28, 2011, 04:40:53 PM

Troy

:lol: Dude, I heard the info about the engines from a interview from Tom S himself talking about the engines and what kind they used and why. Tom S was one of 2 main guys as the other was Rich Septon (R.I.P.) that built the General's for on the series and for the stunt work. So if your calling my info incorrect then you are also calling the info for one of the main guys incorrect as well and they was the ones that build the cars used the cars for what.  :lol: 

John S General Lee was used in Hazzard In Hollywood which was the 2nd Dukes reunion movie that aired in 2000, the one scene that stands out is where it is driving down main and the camera is following it from behind. 
Thats where alot of my info came from was from Tom S back in 2001 DukesFest he is the one that told me about the 1 Hemi body used but motor wasnt in it he also told me about the jumps little small jumps a small block was ok but the bigger longer jumps big blocks was almost always used.

tan top

Quote from: JT01 on March 28, 2011, 05:40:46 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on March 28, 2011, 04:40:53 PM

Troy

:lol: Dude, I heard the info about the engines from a interview from Tom S himself talking about the engines and what kind they used and why. Tom S was one of 2 main guys as the other was Rich Septon (R.I.P.) that built the General's for on the series and for the stunt work. So if your calling my info incorrect then you are also calling the info for one of the main guys incorrect as well and they was the ones that build the cars used the cars for what.  :lol:  

Thats where alot of my info came from was from Tom S back in 2001 DukesFest he is the one that told me about the 1 Hemi body used but motor wasnt in it he also told me about the jumps little small jumps a small block was ok but the bigger longer jumps big blocks was almost always used.

:o :o one HEMI J code car used  :icon_smile_blackeye:
never heard that mentioned before , thats interesting  :yesnod:, like its been mentioned before that no R/Ts were used but in some shots you can see R/T name plate on the grills & just blacked over , could just been a creative previous owner though  :shruggy: , its always fascinated me though on what chargers were used & what rare options they might of had , in an old winged warriors /NBOA news letter in the late 80s , it mentioned a guy who worked for WB pulled all the fender tags off the cars & was going to print up a list of what car was what , but never saw the out come & it was so long ago now , it might of even just been here say story in the news letter of what some guy done ,  :shruggy:

:yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MaximRecoil

Quote from: tan top on March 28, 2011, 06:05:21 PM
:o :o one HEMI J code car used  :icon_smile_blackeye:
never heard that mentioned before , thats interesting  :yesnod:, like its been mentioned before that no R/Ts were used but in some shots you can see R/T name plate on the grills & just blacked over , could just been a creative previous owner though  :shruggy: , its always fascinated me though on what chargers were used & what rare options they might of had , in an old winged warriors /NBOA news letter in the late 80s , it mentioned a guy who worked for WB pulled all the fender tags off the cars & was going to print up a list of what car was what , but never saw the out come & it was so long ago now , it might of even just been here say story in the news letter of what some guy done ,  :shruggy:

:yesnod:

There were definitely R/Ts used on the series. There was even one in the remaining 17 that Wayne Wooten almost kept for himself until he was shown the "hero car" (first unit closeup car) that was in such good condition.

The first General Lee ever built; the one used for the publicity photos in California that didn't even have an "01" on the door yet, was an R/T. This was the first one you see onscreen in the first episode of the series (chasing the cop car and doing a small jump over the knoll in the road). This was known as "LEE 3" (the first 3 General Lees were numbered randomly, not in the order they were built).

NHCharger

There is one scene where Rosco kicks out a tail light to give the Dukes a ticket, you can see the R/T emblem on the grille in one of the shots.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

MoparManJim

Quote from: NHCharger on March 28, 2011, 08:45:55 PM
There is one scene where Rosco kicks out a tail light to give the Dukes a ticket, you can see the R/T emblem on the grille in one of the shots.

That would be C.O.T Part 1. Luke and Cooter took the General out for a test spin as Luke didn't want Bo to do the 32 park car jump. So when Rosco kicked out the tail light Luke was real happy about that because then the General got impounded and he was thinking Bo couldn't do the 32 car jump.