News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifter/Tranny Wire Harness

Started by jdiesel33, October 31, 2011, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

May be a dumb question, but just starting to wire some things up. There is a 2 wire harness comine from the console shifter, one purple wire, one white wire. It is a T-shaped plug. What does this plug into? I was thinking the dash harness, but didnt find anything on there that would fit? :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

greasyspider

'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

jdiesel33

Hmmm....I dont think starter relay. What are those wires for anyway? Backup lights?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

elacruze

Quote from: jdiesel33 on November 01, 2011, 10:36:18 AM
Hmmm....I dont think starter relay. What are those wires for anyway? Backup lights?

yes reverse lights if I remember correctly.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

jdiesel33

So...would it connect to the dash harness or the taillight harness. Didnt see a plug that would fit on either one.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

68neverlate

These wires are for the back-up lights on older Chargers...  :yesnod:  the newer ones have the back-up light switch incorporated into the neutral safety switch (the 3 prong ones) on those Chargers with auto transes.

The ones your describing should run from the back-up light switch at the bottom of the shifter to a 2 wire T-connector (the one you mention), the other end which connects to a mating 2 wire connector that comes from the 4 wire console connector.  The wires feeding the 4 wire console connector run under the carpet just in front of the driver's side seat to the door jam...   

jdiesel33

I didnt even know there was a console connector. You said it runs to the door jamb. Where does it eventually connect to? Thanks for the info by the way.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

68neverlate

Hey, no worries.  If I remember right, some of the wires run towards the dash and one or two might run to the tail light connector in the trunk.  Not sure about the wires running towards the tail lights though.   What year car?

jdiesel33

It is 68 with auto and console. So I guess that would mean I am missing a wiring harness. When I ordered all of my harnesses from Evans Wiring, he told me that was every harness I would need - Dash,Motor,Tranny, and Taillight.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

68neverlate

Yup, there should be one for the console as well.  Course, if the car doesn't have a console, I guess you would have them all.   :laugh:

I'm struggling to remember the exact location of this (4 wire) console connector now... it might be near the console itself or it could be near the door jam.  Either way, the wires which eventually turn towards the dash under the door jam should hit another 6 wire (?) connector down near the park brake mechanism behind the side kick panel... 

jdiesel33

Good deal. I will track it down now that I have some guidance. Appreciate the help.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

68neverlate