News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 340 blue smoke

Started by randy73, February 21, 2011, 06:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

When I rev the engine I get a puff of blue smoke, I am thinking it needs valve guides.  So would it be better to get new heads or rebuild the stock?

Also, it has a stuck lifter, I think. Car has a tick to it, if it is a burnt valve, then the stock heads will be gone.

Kern Dog

In most cases, BLUE smoke on acceleration means that the pistons/rings are worn out.
When you are slowing down in gear, smoke at that time usually indicates worn valve guides or a poor seal at the intake manifold.

femtnmax

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 22, 2011, 01:24:14 AM
In most cases, BLUE smoke on acceleration means that the pistons/rings are worn out.
YES.
When you first start the car, any blue smoke is valve guides.  With the engine off, oil runs down the valve stems.

Blue smoke when slowing down in gear is still piston rings IMO, because the carb throttle plates are closed, and piston downstroke motion creates a vacuum in the combustion chamber which draws in oil past the rings.
Phil

randy73

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 22, 2011, 01:24:14 AM
When you are slowing down in gear, smoke at that time usually indicates worn valve guides or a poor seal at the intake manifold.

You were right, replaced intake gaskets and no more smoke.

Kern Dog

REALLY?
I was RIGHT about that? Great! :lol:
I have been lucky before!

greenpigs

I am getting a garage full of parts NOT being right. :P
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

randy73

Don't feel bad, I bought the car thinking there was little to do, seems like the only thing that does not need work is the air cleaner.

Kern Dog

I've bought cars before where the seller was concerned enough to tell me that the wipers need new blades, that the horn is inop, all sorts of stuff. Nice of them, but often not necessary since I had intended to go through the car anyway. I'm lucky that I've never been burned by my trusting ways.