News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying to get starter Solenoid wired--- brain hurts

Started by NGC414, March 22, 2011, 09:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

I pulled all the wiring from my engine bay when i restored it last year. Now I am trying to sort the wiring out.
I bought a new mini starter, Im not sure if that makes any difference.

I have seen several diagrams of how to wire the solenoid and it makes sence, but have a few questions.

On the solenoid terminal that the battery cable goes to, it also showes a wire coming off the same terminal labeled "to Bulkhead". Where exactly does that wire go??

My second question is: There are 2 terminals on the starter. Once wire goes from the starter to the center terminal on the Solenoid. But where does the other (larger) terminal on the starter connect to? In my diagram it appears to go directly to the battery positiove terminal. Does that sound right??

Domino

Not sure the year of your car...

Starter connects to battery (+) that's the large red wire and to starter relay on firewall that's the small brown wire.

Starter relay also has 2 wires to the firewall bulkhead connector (black square)
the ingintion key switch (yellow wire) and also connects to the dash harness for the ammeter, that might be the red wire you mention?

The starter relay also connects to nuetral safety or clutch depress safety for manual trans (color varies)

Hope that helps...

NGC414

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention my car is a 1968. Do you know which prong on the bulkhead that the wire connects to?

Domino

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68ChargerB.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68ChargerA.JPG

Connector pin "T" is the yellow wire from the ignition key switch (it may be yellow or grey between the bulkhead and relay)
Connector pin "J" is the ammeter wire.  It is dark blue between the relay and the bulkhead, but changes to red on the dash side of the bulkhead.

NGC414

Thanks again, this really helps. It looks like I am missing the wire that goes to Prong "J". After looking at the diagram it appears that wire has a fusible link in it. Would you happen to know what amperage fuse it would need?

Thanks,

Finn

Could having the starter solenoid incorrectly wired cause the starter to always run once power it connected?
In one of my 70 challengers the starter re-engaged at 50mph and now it wont stop until you disconnect the battery terminal.  :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Domino

Quote from: Finn on March 23, 2011, 02:26:51 PM
Could having the starter solenoid incorrectly wired cause the starter to always run once power it connected?
In one of my 70 challengers the starter re-engaged at 50mph and now it wont stop until you disconnect the battery terminal.  :scratchchin:

Never heard of that, but if it happened to me, I would disconnect the brown wire between the relay and starter solenoid and then try to reconnect the battery terminal.  If the starter kicks on, then the solenoid is bad and probably not the relay or igintion switch.  From memory, it's hard to wire it wrong a the starter because the posts are very different sizes and the eyelet on the brown wire won't go over the larger post.

Either way, I'd replace that starter!

BTW, if your relay or iginiton ever strands you, you can jump those two posts on the starter with a screwdriver to start the engine.  Make sure the ignition is in the run position first and be ready for sparks.  And make sure it's not a safety lockout, like being in gear or something stupid 1st!